email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homecall Email Issue

NickJJ
Chatterbox
Message 14 of 14

I received 2 emails indicating that my Homecall account had been hacked and demanding a ransom to prevent browsing data being sent to others. The emails were ignored. I do need this account and have updated all of the required information onto my profile as detailed in other posts. Hopefully the password can be changed quickly

Nickjj

N J Johns
0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

If you keep your Anti Virus up to date, make sure it's scanning for viruses and don't open any unexpected links or attachments, you'll be safe. Thanks for letting us know as this will cause a spike in support requests from other customers who are unsure. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 14

Hi Nick

Thanks for taking the time to update us in relation to the blackmail email.

The claims made in the email were fake and just designed to scare you into paying money.

And comfortingly, as you say, there's no malware on either the router or your device.

If you do happen to receive any more blackmail emails of any type you can report to TalkTalk here or report to ActionFraudUK here.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

Sorry to use the old post but finding how to create a new post is time consuming.

This is part of a follow up email 09/12/18 (deleted) asking for money:

(09/08/2018 - on this day I hacked your OS and got full access to your account (correct email address deleted)

So, you can change the password, yes... But my malware intercepts it every time.

How I made it:
In the software of the router, through which you went online, was a vulnerability.
I just hacked this router and placed my malicious code on it.
When you went online, my trojan was installed on the OS of your device.).

No trojans on the system or the router. Just thought it was worth updating the posts.

N J Johns

Message 4 of 14

That's great. Thanks for posting back to let us know it's sorted. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 14

Thanks and everything has been sorted out

Nickjj

N J Johns

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 6 of 14

I've sent a chaser to get you another call with the password. Please let me know how you get on.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

Still no call but I cannot see my emails via either the webmail of windows live mail. Can you help.

Thanks

N J Johns
0 Likes

Message 8 of 14

I've sent a chaser to try and get you a call today from Amii. All being well you will hear from her with the new password later on. 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

Hi no phone call as yet (Tuesday 30/10 am)

N J Johns
0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

Thanks for that. I've raised the fault ticket for you. The call has to go to the Account Holder although they can then pass the call to you to be given the password once the security checks are done. These faults can take 3-5 days to be sorted and if you've not heard anything by Monday please post and chase me. 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 14

The original details were mine and I have now added the details for the account holder.

N J Johns
0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 12 of 14

Hi NickJJ, have you provided the DOB and contact number for the account holder or are they yours? If yours please add the details for the account holder.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 13 of 14

Hi @NickJJ

A perfect response to the blackmail scam emails.  And for your increased security a password change is a good idea and TalkTalk can authorise that for you.

You've have seen that you need to prove you're the registered user of the email. So apologies for just asking for a double check that you've added to your Community Profile, Personal Information (Click here) your name, current address and phone numbers and then scroll down and add all of the following in the Private Notes area at the bottom of the page:

• Email address affected
  • Your Full Name
  • Date of Birth
  • Landline 'phone number linked to the email address when first registered
  • Full postal address linked to the email address when first registered
  • Include your mobile contact number and times to call - daytimes when available in person to receive the password and speak to the email team
    (for security they won't leave a message with the password and they don't accept call backs)
  • Save changes.

The TalkTalk Community support team will verify the user details recorded for the email address. The email expert will reply here to help with the password change.

It'll take a few days, but, by the end of the week, even though you cannot stop scam emails, at least you'll have a new password and know your email is secure.  If the rest of your online regime is secure and you ignore the fake scam emails they'll likely cease trying to scare you (until Halloween!).

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

0 Likes