email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to sign up to TalkTalk Mail Plus as a recent ex-TT broadband-only customer

robink
Conversation Starter
Message 25 of 25

I have recently moved our broadband-only service away from TalkTalk to a new provider. The original broadband contract was with Pipex ~18 years ago, hence our TalkTalk account is OLD!

My wife and I both have addresses managed via the TalkTalk email platform (ukgateway.net and dsl.pipex.com domains) which we wish to continue to use. I understand that the full service will continue automatically for some time (2 months?). If we do nothing, it will be then be restricted to webmail only and will eventually (after how long?) cease and the accounts will be deleted. I presume we will be notified in advance of this.

I understand that we can continue to use our email accounts in full (IMAP and webmail access) via a paid subscription to TalkTalk Mail Plus and I want to arrange this now, so there is no risk of interruption of service.

However I'm getting conflicting information on how to do this from the customer service advisors. When I called to cancel the broadband, I asked to be signed up to Mail Plus - the advisor took my details & said this would automatically start. However, I have had the final broadband bill (a small refund - we were well out of contract) and no further information on TTMP so I don't think we are on this service. We certainly haven't paid anything for it.

I called again recently and was told I need to sign up for it manually - I was sent an invalid link but by trial and error I found this to be a link to

www.talktalk.co.uk/shop/mailplus

So, what is the procedure for an existing customer moving their broadband away from TT to get TTMP on existing emails without interruption in service?

I still have access to my existing TalkTalk account  - it now lists the broadband-only account as discontinued but under My Account->My Services->Manage TalkTalk Mail we still have our two email address listed. It presumably also already has our direct debit details from when we were paying for broadband-only.

So in principle it seems that TTMP just needs to be added to the existing account as a paid-for service and then the billing/payments can continue.

Is this how it should be done or does a new account need to be setup? If so, is this the right way (www.talktalk.co.uk/shop/mailplus)? What if the email addresses are already associated with an existing account? Will that cause a problem?

I'd appreciate if anyone who is intimately familiar with the TalkTalk internal processes can advise on the best course of action. I don't want to do anything that causes the existing email accounts to be interrupted (imap or webmail) or, worse still, deleted.

Many thanks, Robin

0 Likes
24 REPLIES 24

Message 1 of 25

Hi robink, you're very welcome. The date of a fix and the length of a piece of string are similar. Unfortunately, this issue has been on the go for a while already. Hopefully, as the product manager has finally acknowledged the problem the fix should be on the way soon. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

robink
Conversation Starter
Message 2 of 25

Hi Gondola - many thanks for your reply yesterday.  @Ady-TalkTalk has now done as you anticipated, so all is good for the time being. Really appreciate your help the past few days with this and other issues. I hope you get a break in the next few days!

robink
Conversation Starter
Message 3 of 25

Hi Ady - many many thanks for doing this. Really appreciate your help with this. All looks good for now. I presume a fix for the MyAccount access won't be until the new year. Is it likely to be fixed quickly then or is it going to take a few weeks?

Message 4 of 25

Thanks for confirming the security information. 

I've added both mailboxes to the new account number, that should keep them both safe and sound. You won't be able to modify them in MyAccount until that's been fixed. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 5 of 25

Hi robink 

Ady will get your other primary addresses added to the MailPlus customer MyAccount or if this proves not to be possible will lift the restrictions and liability to deletion so they'll be totally usable and safeguarded. 

NB the alias addresses don't need any action so long as the primary email address is listed in the customer MyAccount. 

Whilst the issue remains unfixed, the available workarounds are given in my pinned post.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like (below) to support me . . . Mark as solved (below)  Accept as Solution

robink
Conversation Starter
Message 6 of 25

Hi Gondola - thanks for drawing my attention to this. Good to know that this is is a known problem which is being fixed. I hope you have a good Christmas/New Year break.

I have one question - how long do existing accounts have after leaving TT broadband before they move to being webmail access only? I was planning to setup Mail Plus for my email first (now done) and then add my wife's email as well so both address are under the Mail Plus subscription. Now that I can't access the new My Account, I can't do this - so her account is currently in limbo. Just want to make sure we don't have any surprises over the holiday season!

0 Likes

Message 7 of 25

Hi robink 

Ah, the error message says it all. As Ady says, for some MailPlus customers it's a known issue that's awaiting a fix. I've got a reminder about the issue on a pinned post at the top of this forum.  Current issues.

Have a great Christmas and we'll see you in the New Year with, I hope, news of the long awaited fix.

robink
Conversation Starter
Message 8 of 25

Thanks for this - I'll look out for the update. I've listed the relevant email addresses and existing aliases in the private notes section along with the new and old account number. Hope this is the information you need. Many thanks for your help in resolving this.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 25

There's no point trying again. It will get fixed and when it does we'll let you know.  I should be able to add the email addresses to the account for you. If you make sure they're all in the private notes I'll sort that. 

Ady

robink
Conversation Starter
Message 10 of 25

Thanks - should I wait for an update or just try this again later?

0 Likes

robink
Conversation Starter
Message 11 of 25

Hi Gondola - good suggestions and that's exactly what I tried initially as the signup welcome screen said "you can manage your email account by logging into My Account now" - so I used the dsl.pipex.com address and the email password. It seemed to work, in that it looked like it authenticated and said "Preparing account details" but a couple of seconds later it reverted to the login screen with this message "Sorry due to technical issues we can’t log you in right now. Please try again later."

I just saw the update from @Ady-TalkTalk about the corrupt account, so looks like this is a known problem and I'll wait for an update

0 Likes

Message 12 of 25

Thanks for confirming security information requested. Your MyAccount is corrupt its an issue that's involved in an incident. I've submitted your details to the team who are working on the incident. 

Ady

Message 13 of 25

Hi robink 

Whilst Ady is looking, I'm convinced that you do not register for a new customer MyAccount because the system will not have your email address registered for home broadband.

But you should be able to sign in to the new MailPlus MyAccount using the full dsl.pipex.com email address as Username and the email password as the MyAccount password. Make sure you enter those manually not via the browser auto-fill function.

You should also be able to enter the email address and select the uncoloured button 'Email me a link to sign in' to sign you in to MyAccount.

Select here:  https://auth.talktalk.co.uk/login

0 Likes

robink
Conversation Starter
Message 14 of 25

I completed the verification link in the personal message

Message 15 of 25

Let have a look shall we. I've sent you a personal message to get more information then I can look for you.

Ady

0 Likes

robink
Conversation Starter
Message 16 of 25

I just tried again and noticed there is an error message at the very top of the screen "Your email address doesn't match our
records. Please try again." But this is the dsl.pipex.com email used to sign up for the new My Account and the same account used for the verification codes, so I don't understand why this isn't being recognised. Is there a delay in getting details of new accounts propagated across your systems or is there another problem?

0 Likes

robink
Conversation Starter
Message 17 of 25

Hi @Ady-TalkTalk - thanks for this; reassuring to know that help is available from you if needed. 

So - I've registered my dsl.pipex.com email for TalkTalk Mail Plus first. Direct debit setup gone through and I have a welcome email with a new TT account number. I can login to webmail as before and IMAP access is working fine. The welcome screen said I could manage the account by logging into My Account. It seems the new My Account isn't automatically setup, so I have gone through the process to Register My Account. All steps work fine - I get authentication code to my mobile, but am stuck on Step 3 'Register My Account' as the final button 'Register My Account' doesn't work - I've tried using my pipex.com email and also a separate non-TalkTalk email without success. Passwords match and pass all 5 conditions.  There is a billing method question - which for an annual signup seems wrong - but I have tried online and post and it makes no difference. I can't get the button to 'click'. Any suggestions on what else I can try?

0 Likes

Message 18 of 25

If you have any problems I'm here to help. We can sort anything you need. That said you shouldn't need my help.

Ady

robink
Conversation Starter
Message 19 of 25

Hi @Ady-TalkTalk  - thanks for checking. I was going to do this yesterday but then the widespread email outage hit and I thought it would be best to hold back until it it sorted. I'll try again this morning - I presume there is no issue with setting this up if the email accounts are already listed on an existing My Account? 

Message 20 of 25

Hi robink, have you managed to sign up now?

Ady