email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't send emails following change of ISP

bendy41
First Timer
Message 2 of 2

I recently transferred from Talk Talk to Plusnet, and am still using two tiscali email addresses.  My email client can receive messages OK, but when I try to send one I get the error message :" Your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).  The server responded: 554 cm4gb1 smtp.talktalk.net ESMTP server not availabl"

I can send messages OK from webmail.

Please advise.

0 Likes
1 REPLY 1

Gondola
Community Star
Message 1 of 2

Hi @bendy41

Great that you've checked the email accounts are working fine with WebMail.

To successfully send an email it requires authentication. That authentication is provided by the network.  Insecure email sending will get authentication by being connected to the TalkTalk network. But as you're now connected to the Plusnet network just use fully authenticated secure sending via the tiscali SMTP server.

Here's the TalkTalk advice article on IMAP settings to use for your devices. Scroll down and select the tiscali section and for preference use the IMAP column for settings if using multiple devices.

Ensure you're using plain password authentication. 

Any problems setting up the Mail client, let me know of the error message and take and post some screenshots of the outgoing server setup using the photos icon above this Reply area.  Obscure any personally identifiable details before posting.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like (below) to support me . . . Mark as solved (below)  Accept as Solution

0 Likes