email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't send or receive emails in Windows Mail. Webmail is fine

camor
Chatterbox
Message 8 of 8

My email stopped at the end of July.  I'm absolutely sure it's talktalk responsible and changing something, nothing else was changed or updated. Situation now is that Thunderbird is not getting anything from talktalk server and I get timed out.  Talktalk webmail is there, but if I wanted to use webmail I would use Gmail not talktalk.  Massive nuisance since I've only recently circulated people to say I'm not using Tesco mail any more, and given my talktalk address - the changeover from Tesco was not handled well by talktalk, who seemed to think it was nothing to do with them. Now I have to change again since talktalk mail is certainly not working. I've now decided that unless it can work I'll have to change to another provider - talktalk service just isn't good enough.  That's the problem with takeovers - you sign up with one lot (Tesco) and you end up with another lot (talktalk) that you never would have chosen. If someone can help I'd be grateful, but I'm not really very hopeful.

7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

The engineers have now put a fix in place for the issue with mail clients and authentication. Please retest for me and let us know if the problem is fixed. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 8

Hi @camor

Your posts are now collected in this thread so if you wish to receive help from TalkTalk Help & Support team it's now possible.

Please ensure your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) includes your TalkTalk landline phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended). Add, then scroll down and add the email addresses not working to Private Notes and save changes. The TalkTalk Community support OCE will then be able to link to your TalkTalk service account and the email accounts.

The recommended settings for talktalk mail for use in Thunderbird are as follows:

Account Type  IMAP (recommended)
Login / Username username@talktalk.net
Password Yes
Incoming mail server mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port 993
Incoming Security SSL/TLS
Authentication method Normal Password
Outgoing mail server smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Authentication method Normal Password
Outgoing Security STARTTLS
Outgoing Authentication Yes

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 3 of 8
Well Thunderbird doesn't work with talktalk mail on my computer - and since the talktalk helpline has told me (twice) that it's nothing to do with them, and I don't want to waste any more time on it, the only thing to do is to stop using talktalk mail, and use a version of email that does work. It's a lot of trouble right now, but it'll be far less trouble in the future when I change my ISP.
0 Likes

Message 4 of 8

Hi @camor

Just a quick note to say that TalkTalk mail will work using Thunderbird and other email clients to provide secure email.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

0 Likes

camor
Chatterbox
Message 5 of 8

Thank you so much for posting full details of the problem, which is exactly the same as mine. Although I was always pretty sure it was talktalk's fault and nobody else's, it was good to obtain confirmation of that, rather than wasting any more time fiddling around with changes at the Thunderbird end.

I have since come across a talktalk page which promises that their "improved" email system will work with four well known email clients - not including Thunderbird!  Since I have been using Thunderbird mail for almost as long as I have been using a computer (20 years), there is no way I'm going to change now, so that has finally made my decision not to use talktalk email. I'll notify any people I want to write to me of the change and my unwanted posts will continue to collect unread on talktalk's webmail site .

0 Likes

camor
Chatterbox
Message 6 of 8

I've given up on talktalk mail - it's bad for my temper. I've always ignored the suggestion from Thunderbird that I should get my own address(for a modest yearly sum), but I took them up on it this morning and now I can send and receive emails again and it was extremely quick and easy. I'll make one last despairing effort to get talktalk mail working and then it's notifying everyone time.

camor
Chatterbox
Message 7 of 8

Well since my previous post has disappeared I'll be short. Since the end of July my email is not appearing in Thunderbird and I get timed out. Talktalk webmail works - I don't use webmail. I was told by the Philippines  or wherever the helpline is to "refer to my device retailer" in other words they have no idea. This problem must be due to talktalk changes - nothing else was changed.  If something is being changed the users should be informed - oh I forgot you can't do that because my email doesn't work!