email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMAP email how restore deleted emails to server from local backup

retired2000
Chatterbox
Message 25 of 25

I have a backup of emails that were maliciously deleted from a TalkTalk IMAP account. But as soon as the backups are restored to the email client they are immediately deleted from it by the server syncing process. Is there any way I can restore my backups to the server? Help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

0 Likes
24 REPLIES 24

Message 1 of 25

Fantastic. Well done. Thanks for taking the time to post back to let us know it's sorted.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

retired2000
Chatterbox
Message 2 of 25

Hi, Ady

At long last I have successfully restored the maliciously deleted emails to my sister's computer and she can access them all. She's delighted. Thank you very much for your help and for your patience dealing with me.

From her backup the IMAP Mail store was copied and pasted into Local Folders in her Thunderbird email client account. All the backed-up messages stay there and are readily accessible. The restore was done whilst Thunderbird was open and connected to the server and there were no problems at all. Highly satisfactory.

With renewed thanks and best wishes

David

Message 3 of 25

Thanks for keeping us posted David. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

retired2000
Chatterbox
Message 4 of 25

I've just experimented with a test message sent to my own TT/Thunderbird account. Without disconnecting at all from the Internet I copied the test message from the Inbox to an archive file in Local Folders. Then sent the inbox test message to the deleted items folder which I  emptied to remove the message from the server. I moved the test email from the Local Folders archive folder into an Archive folder in my active TT IMAP account. And it has stayed there! You were right - thank you very much. All that remains is for me to get the backed-up email store into my sister's Thunderbird's Local Folder Archive and put them back into her active IMAP account folders. I very much hope that I won't need to trouble you further on this topic and would like to say your help has been invaluable. Very many thanks.

David

0 Likes

Message 5 of 25

Please do let us know how you get on. 

Ady

0 Likes

retired2000
Chatterbox
Message 6 of 25

Hi Ady, This had crossed my mind but have not tried it as I thought it would not work. I will try it in the next few days and report back. Thanks for suggesting this.

Best wishes

David

0 Likes

Message 7 of 25

Have you also considered disconnecting the pc from the internet until you've got the back in place and saved? 

Ady

0 Likes

retired2000
Chatterbox
Message 8 of 25

Hi Ady, Thanks for your reply.  The reason is that I hope to extract the backed-up emails files in their original folders and subfolders, and copy them all - under the parent folder Archives. If Enid's TT account has been converted to POP on the TT server and linked to Thunderbird email server using POP settings then I believe I could paste the copied Archives into Enid's Thunderbird account. The restored folders would, I think, not be deleted by the server as a POP server doesn't sync the client account to the server account. Enid is (hacking excepted!) the only person accessing her emails and she only does so on her desktop, her one and only computer. If my reasoning is wrong I'd be very grateful if you'd tell me so. Best wishes, David

0 Likes

Message 9 of 25

You can, but why would you want to use POP instead of IMAP?

Ady

0 Likes

retired2000
Chatterbox
Message 10 of 25

Hi Ady, Thanks for letting me know. I'll try to restore the messages from a backup on her computer. One final question. Can you tell me, please, if an existing TT IMAP account can be changed to a TT POP account?

Kind regards

David

0 Likes

retired2000
Chatterbox
Message 11 of 25

Dear Gliwmaeden2, Thanks very much indeed for your action and for letting me know you'd done it. About an hour after I sent that message I thought that it was not a sensible thing to have done. Kind regards, David

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 12 of 25

@retired2000, for security reasons I have removed your sister's name from the public forum pages. 

I have also removed the gmail address set up using her name.

It is better not to display anything as specific as that on the open forum, and only enter further details in the Private Notes section of your profile. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 13 of 25

Hi David, TalkTalk offer no backup services I'm afraid. Once mail is collected from the servers it's gone for good unless leave a copy on the server was selected. 

If the mail is gone I'm afraid there's nothing we can do to help.

Ady

0 Likes

retired2000
Chatterbox
Message 14 of 25

Hi Ady, Many thanks for your two messages and for the action you've taken. I need to explain that it is not my email account that's a problem but that of my sister who I'm trying to help. Her email account at TT is XXXXXX and she's 89, very hard of hearing, and so relies on email a great deal. I first heard that her account was hacked on 03/11/2021. The hacker opened an account called XXXXXXX and set up forwarding on Enid's account to that address. Although her folder names still remain in Archives on TT most of the individual messages are no longer in the folders. So there will have been a large reduction of the size of the data stored on the server immediately after the hack because the hacker deleted these messages, perhaps sending them to himself. I appreciate that for security reasons you will need confirmation direct from my sister. Her email account with you is working again (with a new secure password, without forwarding, or filters) please would you seek this direct from her? I know that if you are able to restore the deleted messages to her account she will be delighted. If I can be help to you or her to achieve this end I'm at your disposal. I've copied the text of this message and will send it to her so she knows what's going on. Very many thanks, David.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 25

I'm asked are you restoring the mail to the client in general or to 1 specific folder? 

Ady

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 16 of 25

Hi David, I've got one of the email team running through this with me. I'm just waiting to see if there's anything to fix or if it's a setup issue. 

Ady

0 Likes

retired2000
Chatterbox
Message 17 of 25

Hi Ady, I've now completed all the checks you kindly advised. Please can you tell me what I need to do to get the backed-up messages restored to the server? Thanks

David

0 Likes

retired2000
Chatterbox
Message 18 of 25

Hi Ady, I logged into my mail account on the server, through Settings checked mail forwarding but no forwarding address was entered. And the Set Filter page was blank with no filter set. Hope this helps.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 25

Hi David, your theory isn't entirely accurate. You have to login to webmail to ensure there are no filters or forwards in place. The settings in Thunderbird don't override the webmail settings. You have to login to check. 

Ady

0 Likes

retired2000
Chatterbox
Message 20 of 25

I've checked and there are no filters set up on the server. David

0 Likes