email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMAP email on an Amazon Fire HD10

cobaltblue
Whizz Kid
Message 12 of 12

I am setting up email on an Amazon Fire HD10 and see that you recommend using IMAP. There are 3000 emails in my account. Is there any way to only see  those received in the last month? 

When I have used IMAP on a desktop computer they all download.

Also I am not sure what is being downloaded. Is it just the email headers in IMAP versus the whole email in POP3? On my desktop I have several TT email accounts and there doesnt appear to be any difference between POP3 and IMAP. Obviously I dont want to download masses of data onto a tablet that doesnt have much memory.

Thankyou

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

cobaltblue
Whizz Kid
Message 1 of 12

Gondola, its such a relief that you are still on the Forum team as you always sort out my problems. My husband cannot get to the computer and so we have bought a tablet so that he can zoom and write emails from his chair. Super great to get it working!! Hugs!

Message 2 of 12

Nice to know you're back in action.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

cobaltblue
Whizz Kid
Message 3 of 12

Hi Gondola, that worked perfectly and fixed it all. Hope you enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Message 4 of 12

Advanced settings is perfect.

SSL enabled for both is perfect. Or should be.

But I have come across this issue before and if you untick SSL enabled just for the outgoing SMTP server and ensure port 587 is selected then it does work.

cobaltblue
Whizz Kid
Message 5 of 12

Hi Gondola, there is just one more thing - we ticked the box that both servers should have SSL enabled.  Should we not have done this?  

It wasnt quite as you said because we chose Advanced Settings at the start. Is that  significant do you think? 

Many thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 12

Hi cobaltblue 

As I recall, you're using a talktalk.net email address so, if you have the spelling of the server names correct then there's not going to be a server certificate issue. The server certificates issued for talktalk and its domains are all valid so can be trusted.

cobaltblue
Whizz Kid
Message 7 of 12

Hi Gondola, I have tried to connect to IMAP on the fire HD10 and get the following error message. Do you have any suggestions?

'There is a problem with the server's security certificate (it is self-signed, expired or has a hostname mismatch). Would you like to trust it anyway'

0 Likes

Message 8 of 12

Hi cobaltblue 

Given that a typical mail message without attachments is a few kB I'd say that 3,600 mail messages would normally take up 20-30MB of the server quota and therefore I'd assume some mail does have embedded images or attachments to drive the used space to 55.22MB for all 3,600 messages. 65 messages taking up 55.22MB would have to have a lot of embedded images and or attachments.

If your TalkTalk Mail online Inbox is showing the number 65 in bold then that's 65 unread mail messages. Hovering over a Folder name will reveal the Total count and unread count. View by Date and scroll down and you should find the list of mail messages are shown in blocks of 50 at a time.

Unless you have mail stored in other folders it's possible you have mails that are hidden but been marked for deletion by the POP email client.

The server settings for all TalkTalk Mail domains are:

Account Type  IMAP
Username Full email address
Password Email password
IMAP server mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port (IMAP) 993
Use Secure Connection SSL
SMTP server smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Use Secure Connection SSL
Use same credentials for
Incoming and Outgoing
Yes

cobaltblue
Whizz Kid
Message 9 of 12

Hi Gondola, Thanks for your advice. It would be good to have the server names confirmed - thankyou!

Incidentally, I have just logged into the webmail and it only shows 65 emails whereas on Thunderbird POP3 there are 3,600+.

It also says the size of the mail box is 55.22MB out of a total available of 10GB. Does the 55.22MB refer to the 65 emails? or the 3,600+ emails?

How could I see more emails on the webmail if I wanted to?

Many thanks for your help.

Does the 65 emails on webmail just show the last 2 weeks? I cant see how to see all the others o

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 10 of 12

Hi cobaltblue 

Use the Email app on the device not Outlook. Setting up as an IMAP (other) account and in the Advanced settings you'll see an option titled days to sync and I think by default that's normally set to two weeks.

Let me know if you need the incoming and outgoing server settings.

cobaltblue
Whizz Kid
Message 11 of 12

Hi This is Cobaltblue here again. Having great trouble with the new layout of the Forum. I want to ask another related question.

What are my options for getting email on my new Fire HD10 tablet. As far as I can see it is 1. Use the Fire email app or try to access Talktalk webmail via the Amazon Silk browser. What is the safest regarding preventing Amazon reading my emails. 

If I could access TT webmail I would be able to apply message rules and know that my contacts are in webmail. 

Are there any other considerations that I am unaware of. Many thanks and please move this to another thread, 

By the way I did not see how to start a new post if I sign into the forum first. Can I do  it from my avatar? Also I did not see where to say that I would like email notifications when I have a reply. It is months since I visited the forum

0 Likes