cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

If Pipex account is a 'business' one, any gotchas for email changeover?

ANSWERED
18 REPLIES 18
ico99
Team Player

Hi - posting as a separate thread.

Just realised that I must have started with a Pipex Business account years ago - namely because I can only sign in to TalkTalk by going to myaccount.talktalkbusiness.co.uk  (where, for some reason, you can't enter a 'backup' email address e.g. outlook.com )

I seem to remember hearing something about different things happening with the email changeover if you had a Business account.

Apologies - can you let us know what they are?

Thanks

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @ico99 

Yes the sign in to a (non upgraded) legacy pipex mailbox is via the TalkTalk Business TTB webmail sign in:  https://netmail.pipex.net/index-ttb.php There's an upgrade message on that sign in for pipex and homecall users.

Customers of TTB are provided with a TTB email service but we know that some business customers will still use a pipex domain email address.

The TalkTalk Group decided that all pipex domain mail services would be managed by TalkTalk Consumer division which is why pipex mail is getting the upgrade to the TalkTalk Mail platform alongside other legacy mail services managed by TalkTalk Consumer.

The pipex family being upgraded to the TalkTalk Mail platform include these pipex and homecall domains:

pipex.com
homecall.co.uk
dsl.pipex.com
dial.pipex.net
dial.pipex.co.uk
dial.pipex.com
solo.pipex.com
dsl.pipex.co.uk

About TalkTalk Mail Plus is the advice for non-TalkTalk Consumer customers wishing to retain the long-term use of a TalkTalk Mail service. Mail Plus is a subscription for the mail service only for customers that do not take a TalkTalk home broadband service. TalkTalk Mail is free as part of the home broadband package.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Give Likes below to appreciate my help . . . and to help others Best Answer

ico99
Team Player

Thanks, but my head is totally confused by the Marketing Happy Speak on the website at the moment.

Is my best guess translation (below) correct?

"If you were originally a Pipex consumer customer, with e.g. dial.pipex.com email address, but no longer used our phone/ADSL service, the 'free' email account we have been nice enough to provide will continue but the service is being upgraded shortly.

If you were originally a Pipex BUSINESS customer with all the above, after upgrade you will need to pay for our 'TalkTalk Mail Plus' plan  (£5/month)"

Cheers

OCE_Chris
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi ico99,

Just to confirm, are you currently a TalkTalk customer?

Chris

ico99
Team Player

Hi Chris,

Was a Pipex Business customer (dial-up and whatever preceded ADSL) for years, for connection and also email.

Then moved to different ISP, but paid Pipex fees for email accounts.

Then Pipex/TalkTalk (very decently - no idea why people whinge) stopped charging or rather you'd get invoices for £0.00

Kept meaning to switch but you know what it is....

So, short answer is ... no - am not a customer of TalkTalk in that I don't pay money to them.

I can't grouse if they now want to charge a £5 a month for just the email, I'm only asking as a) from what I understood if you had a non-business Pipex account, you would continue with the freebie email?, and b) I don't want to suddenly 'lose' my accounts immediately after change-over due to me not having got a TalkTalk Mail Plus account (if I have to have it).

I'm guessing that I would continue with TalkTalk (Pipex) emails for the foreseeable future, to avoid anyone emailing me having their mail bounced.

OCE_Chris

Hi ico99,

Thanks for the information. Have you received an email notification that the email account will become chargeable and you will have to sign up to mail plus?

Chris

ico99
Team Player

Hi Chris, sorry just seen.

No, the odd thing is that I haven't had any email suggesting the need for payment to maintain my @dial.pipex.com email accounts.

Lots and lots of 'it's coming, it's coming!' type emails though.

As I say, given that TalkTalk/Pipex aren't charging the earth for the service - and given they (finally!) have this decent forum - I certainly wouldn't quibbble about a fiver a month.

Main thing is that I don't lose my incoming email service...

ico99
Team Player

Uh-oh, talk of the devil...

Noticed nothing come into my @dial.pipex.com accounts since last evening.

Thought maybe due to me upgrading to new Msft Outlook, though email accounts from other providers working fine (Outlook retained email send-receive settings during new install).

Sent some test email messages from other accounts to my Pipex addresses.

Went to 'new' webmail address for TalkTalk/Pipex - it still redirects to 'olde' UI - and none of the emails are appearing...

So, something up.

ico99
Team Player

Nudge...

Any news on this particular conundrum? i.e. if I had a dial.pipex.com Business account (usually accessed via webmail netmail.pipex.net), which was a FoC account due to me no longer having a TalkTalk phone line, what do I do in order to secure working email to the Pipex account going forward.

Thanks

StephenF
Community Manager - TT Staff

Hey ico99,

I'd suggest you check your settings in outlook to make sure it's setup correctly, if not can you add your pipex email address in the private notes section of your profile so we can check the mailbox for you. 

thanks 

Stephen, Community Manager

Our latest Blog l Share your Ideas l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars l Set your preferences

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

StephenF

Email settings - IMAP & POP3

Here is the link just in case you need it 🙂

Our latest Blog l Share your Ideas l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars l Set your preferences

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

ico99
Team Player

Think you need to read this thread from the start - the question was specifically about Pipex Business accounts...

Gondola
Community Star

Hi ico99 

The pipex family of mail domains are managed by TalkTalk Consumer not TT Business. Did we not cover that?  And the subscription for MailPlus to retain the use of the mailbox if you're not a TalkTalk Consumer customer.

You'll only be able to subscribe to Mail Plus when the mailbox is upgraded to the TalkTalk Mail platform.

ico99
Team Player

Hi Gondola,

the waters were muddied slightly by Chris asking if I had received an email indicating that future service would be chargeable (I hadn’t) - see his post 6 (did not hear back yet)

As mentioned, my main concern was not to have an interruption to service or worse to lose my email addresses.

From what you said, the sequence seems to be:

1. As is

2. Some of my (Business) Pipex email accounts start to upgrade (?)

3. I have to wait for all to have upgraded?

4. Only then can I subscribe to TalKTalk Email Plus (?)

The grey area is between #2 and #3 I.e. I don’t want some algorithm to kick in and say “abandon email upgrade and delete account as unpaid”.

The fact that apparently Pipex Business customers have not received Messages about ‘change to chargeable’ suggests that someone managing the project has not thought through all the scenarios, no?

Saying this because I have worked on various projects, so can usually spot tell-tale signs...

StephenF

Hi Ico99,

Business or consumer the mail settings are the same to the best of my knowledge, What's your mail domain, is it one of the following:

• dial.pipex.com
  • dsl.pipex.co.uk

Thanks 

Gondola
Community Star
Solution

Hi ico99 

I don't have a pipex mailbox myself so don't know what happened as regards communication to business mail users when TalkTalk Consumer became responsible for managing the pipex mail service. There was no change implemented then as regards login to webmail. Any billing for pipex mail ceased as TalkTalk Consumer didn't (until the introduction of Mail Plus) charge for mail service for non Consumer customers.  

The upgrade to TalkTalk Mail is mailbox by mailbox and you'll be able to keep all pipex mailboxes according to info originating from the TalkTalk Mail project manager.

So, as soon as the first mailbox is successfully upgraded you'll have the ability to subscribe to MailPlus. You'll receive a MailPlus MyAccount. As each mailbox is upgraded you'll be able to add that to the MyAccount. Managing your email in My Account 

There's not going to be any immediate deletion of mailboxes as you'll have notice of any such action and plenty of time to make a choice. So, I don't think there's a need to rush.

ico99
Team Player

Hi Gondola,

thanks for clear answer... though I’d feel slightly more confident if you were the Project Manager...

;O)

ico99
Team Player

Sorry Stephen F, missed your question yesterday.

Address is 'dial.pipex.com' but Gondola gave what sounded like the right answer just after.

Ta

OCE_Ady

Thanks for letting us know you've got the answer you wanted. 

Ady