Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Importing email addresses

ANSWERED
14 REPLIES 14
Harry_and_Roger
First Timer

I am secretary of a large choir and have them all set up as a contact group for email purposes. However, sometimes I only wish to email certain individuals. They are all set up in Excel so that I can filter for those I need, but when I try to copy the filtered list into the 'To' box of a new mail only the first one is copied and I have to enter all the others manually. I have also tried first copying to Word but I get the same result. Can anyone help, please? Thanks in advance.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Harry_and_Roger

Export the filtered list of email addresses from Excel as a CSV file and import that as a new contact group to TalkTalk webmail.  Then just select that contact group to email.

Tip: Keep any contact group to no more than 50 contacts or the email may not send.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Give Likes below to appreciate my help . . . and to help others Best Answer

Harry_and_Roger
First Timer

Thank you, but that is NOT what I want. I do not want to have to set up a new contact group every time I wish to send an email to a few members, who will probably be different every time. I want to just import the list of the the addresses of a few people for a ONE OFF message.

Gondola
Community Star
Solution

Hi @Harry_and_Roger

Yes, you overwrite the same webmail filtered contact group each time. You only add and name the filtered contact group the first time. Obviously, you don't want to see loads of different groups.

But there's an easier way.  If you get all the contacts into webmail and then when you want to send to a small group of them just go to Contacts, select the tick box beside the name and then select Send Email.  All of those ticked contacts appear in the send to list. It's much easier for just a few members to do it this way and bypass using Excel filtering completely.

TheHornedOne
Insightful One

Harry_and_Roger wrote:

......... when I try to copy the filtered list into the 'To' box of a new mail only the first one is copied and I have to enter all the others manually.

By way of an observation, a straightforward Copy of multiple addresses, from a spreadsheet file, and a Paste into TalkTalk Webmail To...  will work - not forgetting to inset a comma between the individual addresses.

Alternatively, the required address can be made contiguous - much easier achieved with a word procesor - again not forgetting the delimiter - followed by a single Copy / Past of the selection.

Additionally, whilst I fully agree with Gondola, that importing all the data from a spreadsheet CSV file into TalkTalk Webmail Contacts, and making the selection of individual contacts there, is an infinately better option, it is with reservation.

The process carries with it the proviso that a 'clean' copy of the data concerned is obtained, when applying the [Specifically in this instance] Excel 'Save As CSV' / TalkTalk Webmail 'Import CSV' options, if for no other reason, that the field names are unlikely to be in syncronisation!

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @TheHornedOne

I totally agree with the observation about CSV file imports.  The format must comply with the format required by the Contacts list.  You can see the required format by exporting a Contacts CSV file from webmail and just viewing that in Notebook. Excel must export a CSV in exactly the same format and insert the email addresses in the right place. 

What I'd do with a spreadsheet is to create a formula for producing a single cell of text with comma separated email addresses from the column of selected email addresses. Then you copy and paste that single cell directly in to the Send To webmail.

Google: "Convert a column into a comma separated list" for some examples to give you a head start.

TheHornedOne
Insightful One

@Gondola wrote:

I totally agree with the observation about CSV file imports.  The format must comply with the format required by the Contacts list. 

For that very reason, in May 2016, I generated a series of spread sheets - placing the emphasis on Contact Name / Title, and Contact E.mail Address - so that I could readily manipulate data into the appropriate location in a particular field name sequence, and then generate the application appropriate CSV file.

See Below:

Gondola
Community Star

...nice one TheHornedOne.  An impressive demonstration of the different styles of email setups!

I found it best to stick with just one basic CSV format suitable for Outlook. There's great advice from Microsoft on editing CSV files in Excel

Email systems that I've used previously have all imported and exported CSV in Outlook format and TalkTalk webmail will do just that for you.  So, I've kept it simple and never had to convert from one style to another, just leaving it to the email system to look after that bit.

But, nevertheless impressed!  I've given you two likes!

TheHornedOne
Insightful One

@Gondola wrote:

What I'd do with a spreadsheet is to create a formula for producing a single cell of text with comma separated email addresses from the column of selected email addresses. Then you copy and paste that single cell directly in to the Send To webmail.

That works, but .................. it is contrived, and cumbersome, and the formula has to be recompiled for each choice of addresses, because the result is generated, and retained, in the formular bar!

However, the attached might be a work in progress!

Gondola
Community Star

...I find the TRANSPOSE function too unreliable.

From the column of email addresses in the spreadsheet, just use CONCATENATE to create another column with a comma added after the email address and then just merge the cells of that new column into the top cell and simply copy and paste that into webmail. Works every time.

TheHornedOne
Insightful One

@Gondola wrote:

.......... and then just merge the cells of that new column into the top cell and simply copy and paste that into webmail. Works every time.

CONCATENATION, is the name of the game!.png

Like that?

Gondola
Community Star

...too hard for poor me to follow!

I only used CONCATENATE because you did and that was just to merge a cell with an email address with a cell with a comma in it. There are other ways. But, as in your example, you have a column of email addresses with trailing comma added. But I just highlight that column and select Merge Cells from the toolbar to merge into the top cell of the column. Copy and paste that into webmail.

But if you've got a nice formula to do the merging, well done. May make you rich someday!

ferguson
Community Star

@TheHornedOne I have removed those email addresses, I doubt their owners would appreciate you posting them in public.

Gondola
Community Star

...I'm sure TheHornedOne will advise that they're all made up!  Well known industrial legends among them.

List of British Engineers

TheHornedOne
Insightful One

@Gondola wrote:

...I'm sure TheHornedOne will advise that they're all made up!  Well known industrial legends among them.

As you suggest Gondola, the mail addresses are indeed spurious, and unverifiable incidentally, and the names are indeed legends of engineering, as am I, ha!

I spent my formative years in Bristol, in the shadow of the Clifton Suspension Bridge, and close to where the SS Great Britain was constructed - in an adjacent dry dock to where my father was employed as a Ships Carpenter.

Who would admit to having never heard of Isambard Kingdom Brunel, or Nigel Gresley, or James Atkinson?  All long dead of course, so I don't suppose they would mind me posting their e.mail addresses anyway!  Would they?

Thanks for the conversation!