email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming e-mails being bounced

Artistef
Chat Champion
Message 48 of 48

Over the last few days several people have been calling me to tell me that e-mails thay have send to my Pipex address are being bounced back with the message "Address not found. Your message wasn't delivered because the address couldn't be found or is unable to receive mail". Some messages from one client are getting through, while others are getting this response. I have no way of telling how many of my contacts this is affecting, but it's a big problem that needs sorting immediately.

0 Likes
47 REPLIES 47

Message 21 of 48

Ady, how can I send unredacted text to you?

0 Likes

Message 22 of 48

Hi PeterAA, can you send me some of the emails including:

the timestamp the mail was sent, sender address & recipient address.

Any examples will be passed to the admins for a response and investigation.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

PeterAA
Conversation Starter
Message 23 of 48

I am getting increasing numbers of mails being bounced.

This now getting serious.  Will someone tell us if Talktalk is actually doing anything about this? 

0 Likes

Message 24 of 48

@Western_Miller wrote:

The soomner we are moved from the legacy email system to the new talk talk servers the better.

If they were better configured things might improve. They can't even keep the correct time (which is a trivial thing to do).

0 Likes

Message 25 of 48

I have had 2 emails bounced this morning from the same sender

Reporting-MTA: dns; know-smtprelay-3-imp [62.252.172.6]
Received-From-MTA: dns; [192.168.0.10] [82.6.184.223]
Arrival-Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 09:55:03 +0000

Final-recipient: rfc822; xxx@dsl.pipex.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.1.1 rIuei9JJ4QiTy Recipient Undeliverable (TT512)

Last-attempt-Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 09:55:06 +0000

0 Likes

Message 26 of 48

I'm also having the same problems emails being sent to my dsl.pipex.com address are bouncing or not being received.  Problem appears to have ben going on for a few days now.  The soomner we are moved from the legacy email system to the new talk talk servers the better.

0 Likes

Message 27 of 48

Just been notified of another one bouncing, so the problem has not been resolved yet.

0 Likes

Message 28 of 48

I had a couple bounced over the weekend, but I am not aware of any since then, but of course unless the sender contacts me there's no way I can tell if it is still ocurring

0 Likes

Message 29 of 48

It seems to be working, but of course it's difficult to tell without regularly sending test emails from elsewhere and seeing if they come through.

Has anything been fixed or has it just started working?

0 Likes

Message 30 of 48

My mail seems to be OK, but my Wife has had a few people report message to her being bounced within the last day.

The SMTP server's clock is now 31mins slow. Doesn't anyone care about configuring them correctly?

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 31 of 48

Hi all, is this still happening to you?

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 32 of 48

Apologies for the poor maths this time...

So the TalkTalk SMTP server has a clock that is running ~40mins SLOW!!!

That should, of course, have been ~20mins SLOW!!!

0 Likes

Message 33 of 48
I assume the problem is entirely on Pipex, though earlier one of my contacts who was getting random bouncebacks tried resending the email to my Gmail (emergency backup) account and that bounced back too. No idea how the two could be connected. Subsequent e-mails sent through Gmail came through OK
0 Likes

Message 34 of 48

Apologies for the typos above...

Anyway, I had a quick look at the headers of one of the mails that has now arrived.

This is when it started life (there's a process that runs at 00:03, and this sends an email - this email).

Received: by nuc.mydomain (Postfix, from userid 0)
	id 015E41FCD9; Fri, 10 Jan 2020 00:03:01 +0000 (GMT)

However, the next stage is at the TalkTalk SMTP server, and this reports.

Received: from nuc.mydomain ([92.0.132.215])
	by smtp.talktalk.net with SMTP
	id phOkif3bL574lphOkip6xG; Thu, 09 Jan 2020 23:39:30 +0000

So the TalkTalk SMTP server has a clock that is running ~40mins SLOW!!!

Now, I'd expect this to be running an NTP service (all of my systems do...) to keep the clocks in sync, so it's indicative of problems on the servers.  Possibly configuration problems?

0 Likes

Message 35 of 48

Hmmmm....

Just now I as connecting to this forum which was gong fine until I click on a link an got 500 (Server Error) pages.

This was at 00:08.

30s later my fetchmail process told me that it was back in touch with TalkTalk to get email (POP3 service) and my postfix server was also (at the same time) able to send out mail to smtp.dsl.pipex.com.

All of which would (to me) indicate that he authentication server was in trouble and someone rebooted it (or at least restarted the service...).

0 Likes

Message 36 of 48

Hi nw1806 

Well you've broken it now!  Definitely not working at all.

See you in the morning.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . and to help others Best Answer

Message 37 of 48

I replied to this and the forum system ate it!

If it's not the spam filtering mentioned elsewhere in this forum, and is as you say mailbox locking for migration, that too should have been tested on a test system to make sure it didn't do exactly what it's doing.

And it's now failing to send or receive just as others are reporting, so it's completely fallen over now!

0 Likes

Message 38 of 48

@gmlack wrote:

I can't connect to the SMTP server (to send mails) either.

Jan 9 23:22:38 benuc postfix/smtp[5101]: 197653F996: to=<xxxxx@dsl.pipex.com>, relay=smtp.dsl.pipex.com[212.74.114.24]:25, delay=90, delays=90/0/0.05/0, dsn=4.4.2, status=deferred (lost connection with smtp.dsl.pipex.com[212.74.114.24] while receiving the initial server greeting)

The last successful connexion I have logged is at 20:56:21 today.

0 Likes

Message 39 of 48

I can't connect to the SMTP server (to send mails) either.

Jan 9 23:22:38 benuc postfix/smtp[5101]: 197653F996: to=<xxxxx@dsl.pipex.com>, relay=smtp.dsl.pipex.com[212.74.114.24]:25, delay=90, delays=90/0/0.05/0, dsn=4.4.2, status=deferred (lost connection with smtp.dsl.pipex.com[212.74.114.24] while receiving the initial server greeting)

0 Likes

GregTingey
Super Duper Contributor
Message 40 of 48

I am now getting this

SOME messages are getting thorugh some not - not even consistent to other sender, either.

My wife sent me a message - it bounced.

I sent her a test, she replied - I got it.

0 Likes