email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect billing for mail plus

SimonGC
Popular Poster
Message 12 of 12

Hi,

My £50 mail plus annual bill arrived in June and was duly collected by direct debit as set up around this time last year. I have now received another bill for £7.37 which has also been collected by direct debit!

I thought the cost of mail plus was £50 per year and that was it. That's all I paid last year.

Anybody got any idea what is going on here?

Simon

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

Hi Simon, I can take a look at this for you. I've sent you a personal message to get more information. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

SimonGC
Popular Poster
Message 2 of 12

Yes, I agree with your guess as to what went wrong.

Annual £50 fee works out at £0.13698 per day

24th April to 16th June is 53 days which would be £7.26. Pretty close to the £7.37 "mistake"

0 Likes

Message 3 of 12

OK, I haven't calculated but a guestimate would be about right for pro-rata charges for MailPlus but not for your account. So, I'd guess that someone keyed in your account number in error and didn't check. In one way it's a relief that it's unlikely to be a widespread system problem to deal with.

If I were you I'd get the money refunded by your bank under the DD Guarantee Scheme. No waiting and wondering, just an immediate refund. TalkTalk can sort out their repayment to your Bank and in so doing will have to investigate why this didn't get picked up as an error.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

SimonGC
Popular Poster
Message 4 of 12

The bill is still showing in my account and it says it's for account charges from 24th April to 16th June. Interesting that the credit for the "mistake" is not showing yet but I'll assume for now that it takes time for this to come through.

No communication about a change of billing date. I joined mail plus 1st July 2020 and paid my 50 quid. The 50 quid for the renewal came out on 30th June 2021.

Also, for clarity, mail plus is all I have with talktalk. I take no other services from them.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 12

Not even any dates, for the billing period covered by the charge? And you've not asked for or been advised about a move of the billing date? 

Thanks for the heads up. Useful to know.

SimonGC
Popular Poster
Message 6 of 12

Hi Gondola,

To be fair, I did receive an email from talktalk on 24th July saying that £7.37 would be taken on 30th July. You could say that it is my fault for not opening the email until today which then prompted me to chasing it up.

Yes, there was a bill in my account when I logged into it earlier today, for probably the first time in a year, but it didn't provide any detail as to what the charge was for.

The mistake was just "a mistake" but I did seek assurance that it would not happen again.

As a footnote to this, I was sorely tempted to cut free from talktalk when they introduced this email fee last year but decided, probably like many others, that the pain of transferring everything linked with my talktalk email address was too great and the risk of forgetting something was too high. I get the fact that they shouldn't be expected to provide a mail server for free but this has made me think again.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 12

Hi SimonGC 

Were you notified by TalkTalk in advance about this debit from your bank?  An unauthorised Direct Debit will be refunded by your bank immediately.

And was there a bill from TalkTalk to document this?  And the reason given for the debit, other than "a mistake", was?

SimonGC
Popular Poster
Message 8 of 12

So, an update that will hopefully help anyone else with a similar problem...

I accessed the live chat and communicated with a very helpful representative (tick).

It appears that the payment was taken in error (cross)

The payment has been credited back to my talktalk account (tick)

If I want the payment credited back to my bank account then I have to call them back in 24 hours to get this processed (cross)

Apparently, if I leave the funds in my talktalk account then it will be used as a credit against my mail plus bill next year. I know this is a fairly trifling amount to many but if talktalk did this to all of their mail plus customers then they will be sat on a nice wedge of cash for a year.

Simon

Message 9 of 12

Regardless of the amount, if it's been taken by TalkTalk without prior notification you can ask your bank to refund it under the Direct Debit Guarantee Scheme. But I'd still look in your MailPlus MyAccount to see if it's documented there and to query with the TalkTalk Billing team. 

SimonGC
Popular Poster
Message 10 of 12

Hi Gondola,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm afraid the red mist had descended and I made a typo on that extra billing amount. It was actually £7.37. I have now amended my original post.

Simon

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 11 of 12

Hi SimonGC 

Does your MailPlus MyAccount document the billing of £7.63? 

The amount doesn't fit with it being a change of billing date within the due month as it's more than the pro-rata monthly amount.

Have you queried this with the Customer Service Billing team?

TalkTalk support via LiveChat is here: Our LiveChat team.  Scroll down and wait for the light blue button to appear to Chat now; Grey button when LiveChat is busy or offline.

LiveChat and current contact opening hours are here: Contact TalkTalk during Coronavirus restrictions. Tip: Pause ad-blockers and similar blocking software to avoid conflict with LiveChat's operation.

Calls to Customer Services on 0345 172 0088 may be chargeable. For calls to Customer Service agents from a mobile, call 0203 441 5550.