email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intrusive adverts on webmail

durdle
Super Duper Contributor
Message 12 of 12

Ads are leaving room to display just two mail items on my 10.1" Win 10 tablet and I'm struggling to find the right blocking settings on its Edge browser. Things aren't much better with IE11 on my larger Win 8.1 laptop. I think I'm looking for 'Add Tracking Protection Lists' in my privacy settings but I'm either not seeing these or I'm not recognising them. A few pointers here would be very gratefully received.

johno
0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

Thanks for posting back to let us know you've got to a solution.

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

durdle
Super Duper Contributor
Message 2 of 12

I have downloaded Chrome from the Google site on my Win10 tablet and find that not only does it allow me to include attachments in posts to these forums, it also allows me to view seven emails at a time in Webmail. I need to experiment and maybe open a new thread when I start playing with adblockers etc.

Thanks again for the advice.

johno

durdle
Super Duper Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Edited 25/09/19

No joy, I bring up the action centre and hit tablet mode, which makes the tablet mode field go either dark or light up blue, and I either see my task and system trays or I don't, but I still don't see the paper clip in either mode when I post here, which suggests that my desktop mode isn't all it could be. I'm thinking I need to go and buy another laptop or, possibly more sensibly, I should try switching to Chrome first. Where's the best place to download that from, please? There seem to be a lot of different offerings out there.

Thanks for sticking with me so far.

johno
0 Likes

Message 4 of 12

Hi durdle 

Given that Windows 10 operates in either Tablet mode or Desktop mode you just toggle between the two.

Advice from Microsoft on how to use a PC like a tablet.

Advice from Dell on how to change from Tablet mode to Desktop mode.

You'll need to tell me if the Edge browser you have does then automatically change from mobile mode to desktop mode as I don't have a Windows tablet to test with. Apologies if it doesn't.

Firefox and Chrome browsers operating on mobile devices do have the option of selecting desktop mode in the browser settings so that's a lot easier.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

durdle
Super Duper Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Thanks for the explanation and nice try, but my tablet is always in full screen mode; 10.1" is small enough for octogenarian eyes without only using part of the available space. Sounds as if I have a big problem here. I could get my screen shots over to my Win 8.1 laptop and post from there but that borders on the ridiculous, especially as my first attempt failed on an unacceptable format when I tried to attach it on Win 8.1 (no doubt because the Win 10 snipping tool would only allow me to save my snip as .PNG, which these forums do not accept). I take it there's no other way for me to get out of mobile mode on Win 10? My tablet's performance on TalkTalk sites is several orders of magnitude better than the laptop's so I do most of my browsing on it but it's going to be a bit of a b*gg*r providing evidence seeking advice on these forums. Given that I set out here to remove ads in Webmail, I seem to be going backwards just now🤔

johno
0 Likes

Message 6 of 12

Hi durdle 

I'm quite happy to guide you to a solution if I possibly can.

The image I showed you was taken from the Edge browser on a Windows 10 notebook. What you've described is a browser displaying a window in mobile mode which does not have the attachment paperclip feature.

In mobile mode (designed for smaller display screens) the Post and Cancel buttons are full width below the Reply area and the paperclip attachment feature is removed. The reply option icons above the Reply area are also limited to a basic subset.

On a standard (not mobile) Windows 10 device just make the Edge browser display full screen to restore normal mode. Or drag the right side of the window until you see the mode change when the Cancel and Post buttons will be side by side, below and right side of the Reply area.

Attachment paperclip cut in mobile mode.png

0 Likes

durdle
Super Duper Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Thanks. You could regret the offer but I was already thinking of using the same add-on and taking things from wherever that left me. Stand by for some probably silly questions but, as previously advised, don't hold your breath.

Meanwhile, I've used Reply (not Quick Reply) here in Edge in Win 10 and the next line below the hint under the reply area is the Post button with the Cancel button below that, ie no paperclip. I would attach a screenshot if I could but … 😒 All I can think of to do is to take a screen shot and send it from IE11 on my laptop which I believe does show the paperclip.

johno
0 Likes

Message 8 of 12

Hi durdle 

You might like to consider that I've done the trialling and testing of one ad-blocker and tracking blocker and that I'm here to help if you need follow up advice...

The desktop version attachments link for TalkTalk Mail is called 'Attachments' and is between the Subject and Body boxes when composing an email.

The attachment 'paperclip' for Community is below the Reply area (not available in Quick Reply mode). See image...

Community attachments paperclip.png

0 Likes

durdle
Super Duper Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Thanks, Gondola and  OCE_Ady.

I only realised I even had this problem a week or two back because I do most of my mailing on my Android phone.

As such, I have other things to sort such as why my broadband normally performs quite well until I get to a TalkTalk site when it tends to get bogged down in 'not responding's and 'long running scripts' etc, to say nothing of periods with no response for any reason whatsoever.

I had hoped my advert issues could be resolved by browser settings, rather than by my having to do research on add-ons. I will try to do some (research) but don't hold your breath waiting for an update any time soon. I've been a diehard subscriber since Lineone dial up days but I'm at last beginning to think about researching a new service provider. We'll see.

PS How do you add an attachment these days; the paperclip has vanished in Edge (though I saw it last night in IE11)?

johno
0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 10 of 12

Hi durdle, Gondola has given you a great answer. Please let us know how you get on. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Gondola
Community Star
Message 11 of 12

Hi @durdle 

I've been using an add-on ad-blocker for some time now because the advertising is distracting. There are a number to choose from. I chose 'Ghostery'.

Compatible with Edge, Firefox and Chrome browsers. I personally find that IE11 is now too slow in performance so I haven't tested.

In Ghostery settings there's the ability to allow certain trackers like Google Tag Manager and LivePerson that are required for LiveChat to work so I have these enabled.

On TalkTalk Mail the advertising disappears but the advertising 'reserved spaces' aren't removed so it doesn't recover space on the screen. 

Extra tips:

1. TalkTalk do run promotions in the advertising so you may miss these if you totally eliminate the advertising
  2. When you purchase products you may wish to 'pause Ghostery' to make sure your purchase is properly tracked for cashback
  3. Some websites will nag you to remove the ad-blocker because they rely on advertising to fund the website so to 'pause Ghostery' and reload the page is easy