email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving TalkTalk but keeping my email address

Kbendel
Participant
Message 9 of 9

Hello,

Can someone anwer help with this question.

I may be selling my flat and leaving TalkTalk but I want to keep my TalkTalk email address.

My TalkTalk address was originally created with my parents TalkTalk account which will remain active.

However I have managed my email with My Account.

It is not shown in my parents My Account section.

Will I still have the email address if I leave TalkTalk and How do I ensure this?

Regards,

Keith

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Keith, it's worth noting that you shouldn't delete the mailbox from your parents' MyAccount as that will lose your mail and the account. If you need it moving we'll be able to help.

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 9

Hi Keith

As you have Power of Attorney for your parents' account with TalkTalk then so long as you accept that your email account would be registered with the account owner's name and address you have the option of TalkTalk moving it to their TalkTalk MyAccount to give you optimum flexibility of management within a MyAccount. 

Or you can do nothing, bar checking password reset is current, and just manage password change with the existing password reset option

Or you can migrate usage to an ISP independent email account.  This would give you absolute freedom to change your ISP in the future without worry about what happens to an ISP provided email service.  You'd need an active email account for the password reset anyway so making this an ISP independent account and keeping it alive by actively using it is an obvious option in addition to your existing TalkTalk email.

But just say if you'd like any help from TalkTalk to make changes to suit you. It's entirely your choice.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

Thanks for the detailed response.

In answer to the questions put forward; I do have Power of Attorney over the registered user of my parents account.

As for who is the registered user of my talktalk.net account, I would have thought it was me but it was made under my parents account so possibly not. This was a long time ago when talktalk started.

It may be simpler just to migrate to another email address.

Keith 

0 Likes

Message 4 of 9

Again Gondola's advice is spot on. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 9

Hi Keith

Your reply raises a couple of issues.

1. Managing MyAccount as a Nominated User
  2. Who is the registered user of your talktalk.net email account?

If you manage your parents' TalkTalk account then to be able to properly do that and liaise with TalkTalk on their behalf you must be a Nominated User or if they're unable to manage any aspect then you must have Power of Attorney / Authority to Act. Here's the minimum details you need to be aware of: Nominated User.

You say that the talktalk.net email address is managed via your current TalkTalk MyAccount.  If so, there's no way for a customer to dis-associate or remove the email address from that MyAccount to be able to associate or add it to another MyAccount.

The TalkTalk Community Team can probably arrange that for you so long as you do have Authority to Act or are a Nominated User of your parents' TalkTalk account. 

The Team cannot add the email account to their MyAccount without their authority or the authority of a Nominated User.  It would also be unwise to add the email account to their MyAccount unless you were a Nominated User just in case you needed assistance with the email account. Such assistance would only be available to the account holder / Nominated User.

Which brings me to the final issue - who is the registered user of 'your' TalkTalk email address?  You say it was created as part of your parents' TalkTalk service account.  I take that to mean that one or other was the original registered user. 

The TalkTalk team will presumably need to check that detail and whether associating the email address with your MyAccount has overwritten the registered user details with your name, 'phone number and address.  If it has then presumably re-associating the email address with your parents' TalkTalk MyAccount will then do the same and overwrite the registered user details with their name, 'phone number and address.  Something you might need to bear in mind.

My personal recommendation is just to make sure the password recovery is up to date with an active email and mobile phone number.  When the talktalk.net email address gets migrated to the new TalkTalk Mail that's the only way outside of MyAccount to manage a password change or password recovery. 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 9

Thanks for the reply.

But as my parents account is still active, if I manage the e-mail through their account surely it will remain active and not bound by these terms.

I set up and manage their accounts as they are elderly and not computer literate. 

As I have stated the e-mail address was created through their account originally, not mine.

Can I manage the email address through their account too.

The e-mail address is not a My Account login address.

Keith

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 7 of 9

Hi Keith, the advice that Gondola has given is spot on and current. If you need anything else just ask.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 8 of 9

Hi Keith

@Kbendel wrote: ...Will I still have the email address if I leave TalkTalk and How do I ensure this?

Quick answer is yes you will still be able to use the email address.  I would advise you to set up and use a non-ISP email account both for resilience and for password recovery. There are some key points to note about TalkTalk email / webmail.

Whilst the Terms & Conditionsnote 1 say "if you leave us you cannot keep them (the email account and address)", so long as you log in to the webmail account at least once every 180 days then the current practice is that the email account will stay active.  There's no guarantee that the webmail account will remain free for non-customers.note 2

Your MyAccount will remain active for at least 12 months after you leave but then will not be accessible to you unless you continue to subscribe as an email only customer to TalkTalk Mail Plus.note 2 

Anytime you go through the Forgot my password process you'll be asked to check and update your alternative email address and mobile 'phone number for password recovery.

note 1: 2.4 / 2.5 TalkTalk Broadband Terms & Conditions

note 2: added July 2019 - TalkTalk Mail Plus - a £5/m charge (or £50/yr) is introduced for Email only customers.

0 Likes