email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results forΒ 
ShowΒ Β onlyΒ  | Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Limited emails in Inbox

Richo_73
First Timer
Message 6 of 6

I too have this issue in my webmail, but the visible/  invisible page numbers are not there. Max. 50emails selected and its downloaded the most recent emails including today but I need access to ones further back. Any ideas ?

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Hi Richo_73, I've run a repair on your mailbox and it seems to have a recovered a few emails. Please let us know how you get on. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 6

Hi Richo_73

Yes, if you would please update your Community profile, Personal information and add the email address to Private notes and then save changes.

I suggest what we'll do first is let the TalkTalk Community Team OCE take a look at the webmail Inbox, see how many emails there are showing and, if thought beneficial, to carry out a repair to see if that recovers any emails.

Here's the TalkTalk advice on upgrading Outlook from POP3 to IMAP.

You can access your email account either via an Internet Browser and a webmail login or access your email account via a computer software program called an email client or app

IMAP and POP3 are the two protocols for collecting and sending email with an email client like Outlook or Thunderbird.

IMAP is the preferred choice allowing you to look at the current (synced or updated) email account from any device connected to the online server. Email is backed up on the server.

POP3 downloads emails to one computer then, unless told otherwise, deletes from the server which means other devices cannot view those emails.  You can choose to keep a copy on the server to have the flexibility of viewing emails on multiple devices but this might run out of server storage capacity faster.

Summary of IMAP and POP3

• IMAP - Internet Messaging Access Protocol
  • You can use multiple computers / devices to check email online
  • Your emails are stored and backed up on the server syncronised to your devices
  • Sent email is on the server, viewable from any device connected to the server.

POP3 - Post Office Protocol

• You should use only one PC to check email (no other devices)
  • Your emails are stored on that PC unless you keep a copy on the server
  • Sent email is stored locally on your PC, not on the server
  • You could use a dedicated PC for main storage and archiving of emails
  • Emails are viewable offline on that dedicated PC

You can choose whichever protocol suits your preferred way of using email.
Using one device with local storage and archiving you'd use POP3.
Using multiple devices with server storage and backup and synchronising of email across devices you'd choose IMAP.

Gondola Volunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

Thanks again... not shain !!πŸ€ͺ

0 Likes

Message 4 of 6

Wow! So much info - thankyou. Bear with me i’m moderately technically illiterate! I run an old version of outlook on my laptop and log in to webmail via the talk talk website. It’s been setup for a few years but only occasionally accessed during holiday times, etc. When you mention IMAP I have no clue... is that the outlook or the webmail side? From the scenarios you’ve described I’m guessing it’s setup via POP3 but I really can’t remember. 

Im away from my laptop now but would I go into outlook settings and flick a switch to imap ?

i will upgrade the personal info as you recommend but at present there are approx 15-20 emails showing with new ones feeding in. 

Thanks shain

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 5 of 6

Hi @Richo_73

Having checked in webmail that older emails aren't in the Inbox - how many emails are actually showing? 

Do you also use an email client or email app? 

If you have that set up as an IMAP account then that mirrors exactly what's in the Inbox and other synchronised folders.  If you delete from the Inbox on the device then the server Inbox mirrors that deletion.

If mail is missing from the Inbox without your knowledge it's either because of a mailbox corruption and a repair needed or that emails have been downloaded and deleted from the server.

The download and delete is one of two forms. Either you've set up an email client or email app on a device and that's been set up as a POP3 account that, by default, downloads all emails to the device and deletes from the server. Or the email password has been discovered and someone unauthorised has downloaded the emails.

If it's a fact that all the old emails have gone but newer emails are present then this would support the POP3 email app on a device theory if that device hasn't been online since downloading the first batch of emails.

Just in case it's an unauthorised device then the way to protect the account is to change the password. Here's the advice article on managing your email in MyAccount.

Have you previously set up password recovery for the email address with an alternate email and mobile number? You could try the Reset your Password option. Other than the reset to the account itself, if there are alternates listed, see if you recognise them from the hints.

Or if you're a TalkTalk broadband customer you can change the email password in MyAccount > My Services > Webmail - Manage Webmail, if the email is listed in one of the 5 email address slots.

Let me know the thoughts re the possibility of a device downloading the emails.  Also what happens with a password change to protect the email account.  We'll take it from there.

Please ensure your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) includes your name, address, current landline 'phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended). Add, then scroll down and put the email address in Private notes and save changes. The TalkTalk Community Team OCE will then be able to link to the email account, check it out and carry out a repair to see if that repairs any corruption that might be blocking emails from being displayed.

Gondola Volunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution