Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Lineone.net emails stopped

18 REPLIES 18
MAN100
Participant

I'm having the exactly the same problem using Outlook 2013. Worked until sometime yesterday but not at all since. Tried repairing my Outlook account settings incase they were corrupted but couldn't connect to Lineone server.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @MAN100 

Update your Outlook 2013 settings please as follows:

The Lineone Mail settings are:

Account Type  IMAP (recommended)
Username Full Lineone email address
Password Lineone mail password
Incoming mail server mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port (IMAP / POP3) 993 / 995
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS
Outgoing mail server smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security STARTTLS
Outgoing Server Authentication Required Yes
Authentication Method Normal Password

Let us know if you're back in action.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Add Likes below to appreciate my help . . . and if I offered a solution Best Answer

carrotmuseum1
Team Player

Can someone confirm the settings for Gmail using pop3.

Not sure mail.talktalk.net will work as it's a lineone.net account.

carrotmuseum1
Team Player

Is there still an outage?  I cannot receive mail using Gmail.  It receives other, non talktalk accounts using pop3 so it sounds like a fault at Talktalk.

MAN100
Participant
Hi Gondola I cannot find how to change the account type to IMAP (it's set to POP3 and greyed out so cannot be changed). I've tried changing the other settings as appropriate but no luck. Outlook could not log into server when testing new settings.
carrotmuseum1
Team Player

These are my settings, not changed in years.

What should i alter?

SENDING

*removed*

Mail is sent through: smtp.tiscali.co.uk

Secured connection on port 587 using TLS

INCOMING

*removed*

pop3.lineone.net  port 110  no SSL

MAN100
Participant
I've just tried setting up a new Outlook 2013 account manually using the settings you suggest but when it came to testing the settings it was unable log onto the server. Outlook 2013 is also able to 'repair' accounts but that process is also frustrated by not being able to find the server but works perfectly on my Tiscali.co.uk account which is a POP3 account. There must be something at the Talktalk end that has changed or is not working that is not being admitted to? This on top of the price hike on my so called fixed price contract is making me seriously consider moving elsewhere.
Gondola
Community Star

Hi MAN100 

Go back to post 2 and you'll see that for a POP3 mailbox you'll need to use port 995.

Everything else should be as the table shows. All mailboxes managed by TalkTalk Consumer are operating on the TalkTalk Mail platform and will be able to use secure mail and the TalkTalk.net mail servers.

If still having trouble then screenshot the outgoing server and advanced tabs, image edit to obscure the first part of the email address and upload here so I can see what you see.

Add Likes below to appreciate my help . . . and if I offered a solution Best Answer

Phil Reeves
Popular Poster

I too had problems with my wife's lineone pop3 email account, with incoming emails stopping roughly 24 hours ago. Outgoing emails remain operational.

My successful solution was to change the incoming email server setting from lineone to pop.tiscali.co.uk using port 995 and SSL set to Yes.

The proposed TalkTalk server setup didn't work.

For outgoing emails I had no success with either TalkTalk or Tiscali smtp servers so reverted back to my original lineone smtp setup.

If TalkTalk are going to require us to migrate old lineone email accounts over to TalkTalk or Tiscali servers we will need a reliable tested solution and plenty of notice. The setups being discussed today are TOTALLY different from previous advise provided by TalkTalk.

Phil
MAN100
Participant
Thank you Phil Reeves that seems to have worked for me also.
The question remains: Why doesn't TalkTalk know that that this is the solution to a fault on the Lineone server and save us all the heartache and time I've spent on this today? Thanks TalkTalk.
Gondola
Community Star

Hi both

The settings for lineone email have previously been to use the tiscali servers. i.e.

imap.tiscali.co.uk  port 993 SSL/TLS

pop.tiscali.co.uk port 995 SSL/TLS

smtp.tiscali.co.uk port 587 STARTTLS

The TalkTalk.net servers are the exact same servers as you'll see when you ping the incoming mail servers

imap.talktalk.net  or mail.talktalk.net port 993 SSL/TLS

pop.talktalk.net  or mail.talktalk.net port 995 SSL/TLS

smtp.talktalk.net  port 587 STARTTLS

You'll get exactly the same result whether it's tiscali.co.uk or talktalk.net

Look at the TalkTalk advice for Email settings - IMAP & POP3 and you'll see it's the same advice I'm giving. There is no different advice for lineone users.

So, you were both on legacy settings and are now on the previously recommended tiscali incoming server settings.  The outgoing smtp.lineone.net server name resolves to the smtp.tiscali.co.uk server. So, again it's exactly the same tiscali outgoing server.

The outgoing talktalk.net server is a different server but is specified as a permitted server for tiscali mail and can be used.

I can only deduce that when you changed the settings to talktalk.net servers that you didn't accept the new security certificate that's needed for secure connection security.

DougMilly
First Timer

I have the same problem using Outlook Express with Windows XP.  I need to keep my lineone.net address for a few contacts, and have to pay TalkTalk £50 pa for the privilege!  It stopped letting me send emails from that address several months ago, and now won't even receive them!

carrotmuseum1
Team Player

Yes i agree entirely. I am currently in a dispute over their breach of contract for raising the price within one month of my sign up for an 18 month fixed price contract.

As for lineone mail, I am slowly weaning myself off it and emailing all my lineone contacts with my new email. Then it very likely to say goodbye to lineone AND Talktalk.  

Currently I can send lineone emails (via gmail) but cannot receive.  As I mentioned I changed nothing, and yet Talktalk insist neither have they. I know who I believe.

Good luck!

Gondola
Community Star

Hi DougMilly 

Outlook Express (OE) and Windows XP are not supported products as they're way out of date and cannot provide you with the security you deserve. 

Like the other users recently saying they're not receiving mail I'd expect that OE is still using legacy out of date settings. 

If you have got a newer device other than a Windows XP computer then sign in to your lineone mailbox using an up to date browser like Chrome, Edge or Firefox. 

Enter your lineone email address, select Continue if prompted

Enter your lineone email password, select Sign in.

You should be able to receive and send lineone mail messages. 

You can also sign in to your mailbox using a mobile device browser or use the email app on the phone or tablet. 

Using TalkTalk Mail 

carrotmuseum1
Team Player

Good old Talktalk - that does not work!

This weird page appears - Not found - continue button does not work either!

Pretty hopeless really. 

carrotmuseum1_0-1617444364640.png

Gondola
Community Star

All links in post 14 are working @carrotmuseum1 

Is this the first time you've signed in to TalkTalk Mail via webmail? i.e. via a browser.

What device are you using and what's the operating system and browser?

carrotmuseum1
Team Player

Yes first time.

Laptop, Chrome, Win 10 Home - just tried again still dead.

carrotmuseum1
Team Player

Bizarrely the link works in Edge (which I hate). However once I have accessed the inbox, in Edge, Copied and paste the URL into Chrome and that works!

Gondola
Community Star

Hi carrotmuseum1 

The Continue button should take you on a one-off tour of TalkTalk Mail.  I don't know why your Chrome browser would be blocking the URL so what I'd suggest is to disable all browser extensions because one of them, perhaps a Tracker blocker, Ad blocker or Internet security extension is not allowing you to proceed.

Edge is now based on the Chrome engine. But clearly doesn't have the same extensions loaded so was able to proceed.