email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost emails / emails not being received. OCE / CS replies only please

davep
Insightful One
Message 18 of 18

I started a topic yesterday but that has been interrupted, for now at least.

I had problems sending to talktalk.net and tiscali.co.uk emails.  I read the suggested procedure to change email client settings, which didn't seem to work.  Shut down, went out and on return wife had lost numerous messages from her ipad (my tiscali.co.uk email account, imap) and all had gone from my iphone.  I believe some went from my Asus notepad (pop) and so I have not yet chanced my main laptop (pop) since changing setting yesterday before going out.

Is there any chance we can recover the lost emails?  They have gone from the TT web mail as well, though on all devices, sent items still seem to be there.  I seem to be able to send and receive  emails between my tiscali and wife's talktalk email addresses, but can't send to "myself" on my tiscali a/c.  Any help from  OCE / CS  more than welcome.

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

Message 1 of 18

@Ady-TalkTalk If I get a reply, I'll ask for the information.  Once was in April, latest this week.  Will PM you

0 Likes

Message 2 of 18

If you can get us the date, time, sender and recipient addresses we can check them against cloudmark to see if we rejected it and why. 

If you can PM the details to me. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 18

@Ady-TalkTalk a previous reply from the company said "

You have received a letter from us regarding your email address as we received notification from your provider that our recent email was not delivered to you. You may need to add us to your safe senders list to ensure future emails are received.

I had checked my web mail settings, they are not barred or in spam and I received an automated reply to my latest response sent 26th and no reply yet.  If they do reply I will ask for exact details.  I will PM company details if you wish or would help.  I have receive things from them by email for several years until April this year.  I suspect someone may have spelt my name wrong, as happens often.

@Gliwmaeden2 Thanks

I

0 Likes

Message 4 of 18

Hi davep, there are lots of reasons it could happen. Content, mailing list errors, sending IP etc.

Do you have any more information for us?  

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 5 of 18

I'll re-escalate this again, @davep .....!

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 6 of 18

@Ady-TalkTalk   if you see this, can you tell me whether there is a reason Talktalk would block emails from a company who have previously sent them with no problem?

Thanks

0 Likes

davep
Insightful One
Message 7 of 18

Seems you've changed the community page!  Couldn't find edit post - now found-, but a whole page has changed I maybe need to re-load.

Just get used to something then all changes - looks like for the worse.  PLEASE CHANGE BACK

It's all too complicated so doubt I'll do anything.  If tech companies stopped messing about people's lives would be much simpler.

The new community page is AWFUL and may make talking to overseas help seem reasonable - maybe that's what TT hope so they can save on the expensive UK support - or maybe that's just me.  Why am I plagued by cookies???  Multiple pages to try to stop them.  All these companies are concerned about my privacy so why not STOP all cookies instead of invading my privacy.

0 Likes

TheHornedOne
Insightful One
Message 8 of 18

@Ady-TalkTalk, your dialog references Apple Mail macOS, but the poster has previously advised that the iPad / iPhone in use have the significantly different [iOS [ iPadOS ] v14.6] Apple Mail version installed!

~R.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 18

Hi davep, the steps for Win 8.1 are as follows:

1. Open Windows Live Mail.
  2. Select Menu, Options and then Email accounts…
  3. Select the email account you are using on multiple devices then click Properties.
  4. Click Advanced.
  5. Under the heading Delivery tick Leave a copy of messages on server.
  6. Tick Remove from server after X day(s).

And for AppleMail

How do I make Apple Mail leave a copy of my messages on the server?

This page is showing a generic answer.
To see a more detailed answer customized for you, type your e-mail address here:

This page is for the macOS “Sierra”, “High Sierra”, “Mojave”, “Catalina” and “Big Sur” (2016 and later) versions of Apple Mail.

If you’re using an older version of Apple Mail, such as the version included with Mac OS X “El Capitan” or “Yosemite”, see Leaving Mail on the Server with Apple Mail in “El Capitan” and Earlier instead.

With the Apple Mail application, it's possible to leave a copy of each message on the mail server after you read it.

You'll want to do this if you read email in Mail and another program (or our Webmail system). If you don't set up Mail to leave your messages on the server, it will delete the messages as soon as it connects to read mail, and the other program (or Webmail) won't be able to see the messages.

You can also do this if you want your old incoming mail to be permanently stored in our backup system (see "E-mail backups" on our backup policy page for more details).

This page explains how to set up Mail to leave a copy of each message on the server. It assumes that you have already followed the basic instructions to set up Apple Mail using POP3 (if you're using IMAP, none of this is necessary because IMAP leaves mail on the server by default).

Before you continue, you should enter your email address (the address you want to set up in Apple Mail) in the box above. Entering your email address makes sure that the instructions below are correct.

Changing the Apple Mail settings

To leave messages on the server, you will:

• Open the Advanced settings window for your mail account
  • Uncheck the "Remove copy from server after retrieving a message:" checkbox

1. Start the Mail program.

If the Mail program isn’t already running, start it now.

2. Open the “Preferences” window.

Using the menu bar at the top of the screen, click Mail, then Preferences:

Mail > Preferences

The preferences window will appear.

3. Choose the “Account Information” screen.

Navigate to the “Account Information” screen. To do this:

• Click Accounts (the blue “@” sign) along the top of the window if necessary.
  • Click the address@example.com account in the left “Accounts” column if necessary.
  • Click Account Information if necessary.

4. Disable "Remove copy from server".

Uncheck Remove copy from server after retrieving message. That part of the screen should look like this:

Apple Mail settings

(The “Description” section doesn’t matter and may say something else, although it’s easier to keep track of multiple addresses if you set it to be the email address.)

5. Close the "Preferences" window and save the changes.

Click the red close button in the upper-left corner of the "Preferences" window. If the "Save Changes" dialog pops up, choose Save.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 18

I use Windows live mail.  I will continue to do so!  Win 8.1

Not sure what is used on iPad and iPhone.  Both just set up to use the onboard email as far as I know.  Both now have latest iOS, 14.6, updated recently.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 18

Ok which mail clients and OS are you using on each device and we'll check what's set to what. 

Ady

0 Likes

Message 12 of 18

@Ady-TalkTalk thanks for getting back.

I guessed that may be the case.  Any idea why messages disappeared on IMAP mail boxes, but not on PO3?  One good reason for POP3 in my book.

Afraid I wouldn't know how to leave copy on server.  I presume this means within TT webmail.  I think I set my laptop to delete from webmail when deleted from client but so long ago I may be wrong.

Thankfully I keep lots on my laptop so maybe didn't lose too many important ones from wife's ipad.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 18

Hi davep, this hasn't been showing in our workflow queue sorry for the delay. I'm afraid even if it had we can't recover any mail that isn't in webmail for you. If you make sure all your devices are set to leave a copy on the server even when deleted this shouldn't happen again. 

Ady

0 Likes

Message 14 of 18

Guess we'll just have to live with it!

(Got a response to topic started today within an hour or so....)

0 Likes

Message 15 of 18

@Gliwmaeden2   Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 18

I'll re-escalate it, @davep.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

davep
Insightful One
Message 17 of 18

Would have been nice if I'd had a response to this - almost 2 weeks.....

0 Likes