email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail login problem since Thursday 22nd July - Phone & Desktop.

PMacUK
Popular Poster
Message 15 of 15

Hi,

For a number of years I've had working access to a legacy email account ( dsl.pipex.com ).

This has worked fine with the Mail app on the Samsung phone, and Thunderbird app on the Windows desktop pc.

Since Thursday 22nd July, they are both now failing.

Thunderbird reports; "login to server ... with username ... failed".   With buttons to click for retry, enter new password or cancel.

With the Mail app on Samsung, a bubble box appears each 15 minutes with sync.   It says, "To use this account, you need to verify your identity. Tap your account below to sign in".   re-enter the password and it says it failed.

I thought it may be a temporary service issue so left it for a while.  Some 48 hours later, still not working.

Today, I have reset my password, seeing if that would help.

I deleted the account from Samsung Mail, and re-created it.  "Couldn't verify account".

I replaced the password in Thunderbird as well, and it fails to login.

I can see mails in the webmail browser view, and that further confirms the account password is known and working.  Although its far from ideal, which is why use the apps.

The server details I've used for years:-

• imap:     pop.dsl.pipex.com     ssl   993
  • smtp:     smtp.dsl.pipex.com    tls 587

I have also tried these today:-

• imap:     mail.talktalk.net     ssl   993
  • smtp:     smtp.talktalk.net    tls 587

.. and they fail.

Hopefully this can be addressed by TalkTalk support.

Thank you.

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

Message 1 of 15

Thanks for posting back to confirm it's working. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 15

Indeed it is.

I've just tried manually sync, and it downloaded the mails from the last week that have been only available on the webmail.

I'd turned off the auto sync, as it was annoying with the 15 minute pop-ups to enter password ( correctly ) and be declined by the imap server.

Can turn auto sync back on now.  😀  

Message 3 of 15

Hi PMacUK, I'm told we've fixed this now and your mail should work in a mail client again now. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 4 of 15

Just for the record -  the restriction that disables IMAP access to the email account is still in place.

I'd taken from what you had said,  that it would be lifted as it was implemented prematurely in July.   The email notification that arrived on Monday 26th July,  (5 days after restriction began),  said it wouldn't start until 25th August.

I do feel some concern for other people out there that have a lot more dependencies on the TalkTalk mail system, and also impacted by the restrictions., and no timely resolutions. 

Message 5 of 15

Hi PMacUK, this is an error if you have an account and the team are investigating this to identify the cause and then to get the fix in place for you. Hopefully, there won't be too long to wait for the fix. 

Ady

0 Likes

Message 6 of 15

Thanks Ady.

Something interesting happened today - a mail arrived that detailed the TalkTalk plans to restrict and delete email accounts.

"It looks as if your mailbox is not linked to an active TalkTalk broadband account and you haven’t signed up to TalkTalk Mail Plus. This means that your TalkTalk Mail service will be limited from 25-08-2021.

If you don’t take action, you’ll be unable to send or receive emails through desktop or mobile email management applications, and you will only be able to do so by visiting www.talktalk.co.uk/mail

Starting seven months from today, we’ll be permanently deleting TalkTalk Mail accounts that aren’t signed up to TalkTalk Mail Plus or part of an active TalkTalk broadband account. We’ll send you a reminder before this happens. If you want to avoid losing your email address and having to update any accounts you have connected to it, please take action as soon as possible."

One of the bits that jumped out immediately, was reference to the limit commencing from 25th August 2021.

That is a month away in the future, and I'd lost access in July, sometime late Wednesday 21st or early on Thursday 22nd.

I wonder how many more souls have been prematurely impacted,  and will find their way to these forums to post queries about why the email service they've had configured and working for years has ceased to.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 15

Hi PMacUK, if you want to keep your TalkTalk mail account working then you need to have a TalkTalk Broadband or TalkTalk Mail Plus account. We've contacted everyone before limiting accounts to explain the process and what's happening. It's been happening for almost 2 years so it's not a sudden change. 

Ady

0 Likes

Message 8 of 15

Every service business makes decisions all the time that could impact customers one way or another. Bringing customers along on the journey with a positive benefits outlook is what should always happen.  TalkTalk Mail is free for home broadband customers. 

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 9 of 15

Thanks Gondola.

These unilateral decisions by TalkTalk are doing themselves no good.

If you look back at January 2018, you'll see you and I exchanged private messages then,  in response to forum posts, and a previous action TalkTalk took in changing service offering without communicating it to the customers at the time.  A change they implemented December 2017, perhaps into the Christmas period.  I was a TalkTalk customer at the time. 

The actions of, "just doing"  change that negative impacted customer experience, without notifying customers ahead of time,  was kind of a precursor that lead to my leaving in 2018.

This email account activity now, looks like TalkTalk are cutting ties with former customers.

Message 10 of 15

Hi PMacUK 

TalkTalk have held off during the lockdowns from withdrawing a free email service to non-paying users.  It looks like, in your case, that the restriction to webmail only access is valid because you don't pay for home broadband or the MailPlus subscription service.

You say you don't wish to pay for MailPlus, to which I provided a link in my first reply to you. I'll give you another link that explains more. If you do choose to subscribe on a month by month basis and then call to cancel after the first month's subscription has gone through then you'll get a further 2 years of webmail only access to make sure you can identify your wanted contacts over that extended time period.

About TalkTalk Mail Plus

Cancel your TalkTalk service

I cannot say when you would have received a mail message from TalkTalk about keeping your email address active by becoming a MailPlus subscriber but maybe you'll find that in your downloaded mail messages.

You can save wanted mail messages from a POP3 local account. It doesn't need to be connected to the online Inbox. But sign in to webmail and you can also save new messages as eml files.

Looks like you have around a hundred days or so to go before the mailbox is flagged for deletion so at least three months of webmail access if you choose not to become a MailPlus subscriber.

Message 11 of 15

Hi Gondola

No, I haven't had TalkTalk broadband for perhaps, 3 years now. 

I'm not aware of MailPlus,  but I'm not paying monthly subs to TalkTalk and so infer that would be a no.

The account in question, is the main account that was with me at Pipex.  If I remember correctly,  they were picked up by Tiscali, who in turn were taken over by TalkTalk.

If this is TalkTalk unilaterally shutting down the service to ex-customers, that's one thing.

But doing it without warning,  removing my ability to save messages (e.g. pop to local message store) and evacuate from using the service first, is unfair and not good for relations with the community.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 15

Are you a TalkTalk Consumer home broadband or Mail Plus subscriber customer?

Is the dsl.pipex.com email address added to an active customer MyAccount?

0 Likes

PMacUK
Popular Poster
Message 13 of 15

Thanks for responding Gondola.

A look over it, and the info feels generic as if you've been batting out responses to mail problems recently.  Thanks for your efforts.

The information includes a link to test the TalkTalk webmail.   In my initial post, I mentioned that does work.

There is then talk of the community profile, which is already populated.   I'd included the email address in the private notes this morning, prior to posting on the forum.

I have received no communication from TalkTalk to detail about restrictions or deletions.

The account is 'alive', as I can see emails on the webmail view, so it's certainly not deleted.

It may have been restricted as of Wednesday 21st / Thursday 22nd,  but I've not been informed that was due to be implemented.

As there was no advisory for this,  I'm assuming it has been done in error and hopefully TalkTalk support can undo it, unrestrict it so normal service can resume.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 14 of 15

Hi PMacUK 

If you're not a TalkTalk Consumer (home broadband) customer your mailbox may get restricted to webmail only access unless you've subscribed to   TalkTalk Mail Plus to retain the use of a TalkTalk Mail email address.

If you have a mail message from TalkTalk about restriction or deletion of your TalkTalk managed email address and mailbox then add your TalkTalk mailbox address to a TalkTalk Consumer home broadband or MailPlus MyAccount to avoid deletion after 180 days. After 60 days the mailbox is restricted to webmail only access.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your master pipex email address and password, select Sign in.

This is to check the password is working for the TalkTalk Mail webmail sign in to keep you in touch whilst we determine what's happening with email client access.  You're not using the recommended settings so when you do get access have a look at this post: Upgrade your legacy mail settings

Prepare for TalkTalk Mail Support by including in your Community Profile:

• Your name, current home 'phone number. An alternative (mobile preferred) contact number. Full address with postcode (Location)
  • Scroll down to Private notes to add the email address needing recovery, other notes etc
  • After checking and updating, Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

A TalkTalk Support member will reply to this thread and then Community Personal Message you to confirm your customer account details and or details related to the original registration of the email address.

There was a batch of mail restrictions applied to legacy email addresses that were not added to a customer MyAccount.  We need to work out whether the restriction is appropriate in your case or needs to be reversed.

0 Likes