email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail upgrade for dial.pipex account?

Mal469
Chat Champion
Message 66 of 66

I have today received notification emails about the TalkTalk mail upgrade to two dsl.pipex accounts (one an alias of the other).

Will I be receiving the same for my dial.pipex account, which I have had for ever, still use, and is now classed as a (free) legacy account, under the auspices of TalkTalk Business for some reason?

0 Likes
65 REPLIES 65

Message 1 of 66

Thanks for letting us know it's sorted. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 66

Hi Ady,

Sorry, I obviously wasn't very clear. I was effectively asking if your earlier statement -"I'd suggest we stick to using the TalkTalk mail settings too. As they'll be the only ones we keep in the longer run." - applies to all my Pipex accounts.

Actually you have previously looked at my DSL accounts, when I gave you access to MyAccount and you saw all the addresses there, however I can't expect you to keep track of everything that has passed between us, given the length of this thread and the number of open enquiries you are juggling.

Thank you for finally steering me towards a conclusion (I have been able to remove the auto-forward from my Dial account). I apologise if some of my communications have been somewhat terse, born of frustration. Incidentally TTB Support still had my case open, reporting continuing unresolved issues, but I was able to advise them my problem had been solved.

I'll leave you in peace for a while (until the next time!).

Mal469

Message 3 of 66

I don't have access to any DSL accounts. Your MyAccount is searchable under your landline number. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 66

Hi Ady,

The email version of your posting was rather more detailed and complete. From it I deduce that for POP the settings should be: Incoming - mail.talktalk.net, Port 995, SSL ; Outgoing smtp.talktalk.net, Port 587, TLS, Authenticate.

I have just tried this on my PC, and have downloaded about 400 messages into my Dial inbox. Sending a test worked also. I hope this has solved the problem, but I wish I could have been told this two days ago, before I emptied my iPhone. This also has downloaded.

What addresses should I now use for my DSL accounts?

Mal469

0 Likes

Message 5 of 66

Hi Mal469, you need to only be using the new password you've created. I'd suggest we stick to using the TalkTalk mail settings too. As they'll be the only ones we keep in the longer run. 

Incoming mail server  imap.talktalk.net  

Incoming Port             993                        

Incoming SSL             Yes                         

Outgoing mail server  smtp.talktalk.net  

Outgoing Port             587                        

Outgoing START/TLSYes                          

Outgoing AuthenticationYes                       

Ady

0 Likes

Message 6 of 66

Let us hope it is database corruption. Back in post #14 I reported on problem in the database regarding one of my dsl account names, evidently a database translation error. That was corrected, but it predated the actual migration.

It is evidently a problem with outward facing authentication. The acceptable POP/SMTP password is not matching that set up for webmail. Even when they did match it would not release mail for download. Are these separate stages in the authentication process?

I confirm that the desktop client is having the same problem as the iPhone. Just to repeat, the latest (webmail) password cannot be verified by the iPhone with your servers. The immediately preceding one is accepted for authentication, but mail is not downloaded. 

Mal469

0 Likes

Message 7 of 66

I've just tested on my test accounts to see if I can replicate your issue with my Ipad and so far I get working mail each time I test. I'll ask the team to look at your mail address and see if they can see anything going wrong. The fact that you can't download any mail suggests that the mail password may be accepted by the Iphone, but it isn't being accepted by the mail servers. 

Ady

0 Likes

Message 8 of 66

Hi Ady,

Thank you for the link, but I have been familiar with setting up Mail accounts, and changing passwords, on the iPhone for some years.

It was because of the possibility of the phone retaining the old password that I followed the suggestion in a thread and deleted the dial.pipex account in my iPhone, to clear any cache there might be. This is considerably inconvenient, as I keep on the phone some older emails for reference purposes. Setting up the account again, as reported above, the new password (active in webmail) was not accepted at the verifying stage and I had to revert to the previous password (created for me by TTB), which was accepted. However no emails were downloaded.

I am not trying to delete mail, but to download it, which I have not been able to do since 29 September, seconds after receiving the email advising that the migration had been completed! At that time the problem appeared to be authentication, which was plaguing many others.

You say that Webmail, IMAP and SMTP use the same database, but are they all being updated in the outward facing part? Neither the iPhone nor Windows Live Mail will accept the new password, authenticated or not. The previous one is sometimes still being accepted and will occasionally send using dial.pipex.com, but will not receive, using the variety of ports and SSL/not SSL as suggested. 

So far my dsl.pipex accounts have survived the migration without problems, touch wood; I assume that the legacy dial.pipex accounts are on an old server with a different structure that will not talk to the new system. Are any other customers suffering the email download problem, or is my case unique? 

Mal469

0 Likes

Message 9 of 66

Hi Mal469, that suggests that the Iphone is holding onto the old credentials. Webmail and the IMAP and SMTP servers use the same database. If webmail is working then the password you created is working and that's why the Iphone can't delete mail with the old password. 

Give this a go and let me know how you get on. 

Ady

0 Likes

Message 10 of 66

Ady,

Using the Reset Password route I created a new password for my Dial.Pipex account. Within ten minutes I had to use it to access the webmail account. However 1/2 hour later it wasn't accepted by my desktop client (WLM). At some inconvenience I deleted the whole iPhone account to clear it. I could not recreate the account with the new password, I had to use the intermediate password created for me by TTB for the account to be verified. However, no emails were downloaded.

Where now?

Mal469

0 Likes

Message 11 of 66

Hi Ady,

PM sent.

Mal469

0 Likes

Message 12 of 66

Thanks Mal469, thanks for confirming the security information. I've accessed your residential account. I can see 4 pipex addresses plus the one you provided in the security information. 

If you give me an alternate email address by PM, I'll have password reset tools setup for you within the next 24 hours.

Ady

0 Likes

Message 13 of 66

Hi Ady,

Done that, I hope I have responded correctly - only an email address and mobile number.

I received a couple of other notifications this morning, but realise it was about someone hijacking my thread and being moved to their own.

Mal469 

0 Likes

Message 14 of 66

Hi Mal469, unfortunately those details don't relate to your residential account. If you could answer this time that you don't have/know the password you'll be given other questions.

https://smm.page.link/rQ3r5gGrq3G3xU9XA

Ady

0 Likes

Message 15 of 66

Hi Ady,

I've just responded to your PM, but was only asked for name, a phone number and two password characters.

I responded yesterday to TTB Support, who asked if the password change had worked. I replied that the new password was being accepted by the dial.pipex servers (the old one isn't), and I could send emails, but nothing was downloaded from the inbox. I still have to use the old password to access webmail.

Mal469

0 Likes

Message 16 of 66

If you can provide the security information I can check if the account is enabled to use mail clients. 

Ady

Message 17 of 66

Hi Ady,

Thank you for answering a couple of my queries. I am not quite clear if moving my dial.pipex account under the residential umbrella will in the short term make any difference to resolving my email client login problem, which appears to be insoluble at the moment. I continue to access webmail using my original 8 character password, but it is not accepted through WLM or iPhone. Do you have different/better access to the dial.pipex servers from TTB? 

Thanks

Mal469

0 Likes

Message 18 of 66

Hi Mal469, there is no TTB email platform for pipex mail. You would/will have to have either a residential broadband service or a TalkTalk Mail Plus account in order to continue to use the mailboxes indefinitely. Free service will last 180 days only from the migration date which was in the last couple of weeks. As you're already using a TalkTalk Residential mailbox there is no transfer necessary. 

Ady

0 Likes

Message 19 of 66

Hi Ady,

Thank you for that. Before I take the plunge I wonder if you could indulge me with a few queries?

1. I understand you to say that you can see my dial.pipex account?

2. Are you saying that consumer dial.pipex customers have no DNS/connection problems (they may have others)?

3. Are TTB dial.pipex customers physically on a different server?

4. Does moving under the consumer/residential umbrella involve physically porting the whole account to a new server? Without loss of emails or access to webmail?

5. Will the legacy dial.pipex account continue FOC under the residential umbrella, possibly with the proviso that it is used at least once in 180 days (not a problem at the moment)?

6. You have written about changing my password. Under residential will I be able to change the dial.pipex. password when I want to, like my DSL accounts? (Password changes seem to be problematical at the moment for some).

Sorry to be burden you with that, but it will help my decision, not wishing to make a tricky situation worse. Incidentally, under consumer/residential is it possible to raise a support ticket without going through the Community?

Many thanks,

Mal469

0 Likes

Message 20 of 66

There's no DNS issue affecting consumer. If I can see your account you're a residential account. I would have to verify security with you to do that. If you're happy to stick with the business team I'll leave you in their capable hands. There's no point in us both working this it will only lead to more confusion. Once you've decided which way to go please let us know. 

Ady

0 Likes