email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail upgrade for dial.pipex account?

Mal469
Chat Champion
Message 66 of 66

I have today received notification emails about the TalkTalk mail upgrade to two dsl.pipex accounts (one an alias of the other).

Will I be receiving the same for my dial.pipex account, which I have had for ever, still use, and is now classed as a (free) legacy account, under the auspices of TalkTalk Business for some reason?

0 Likes
65 REPLIES 65

Message 41 of 66

Hi Gondola,

I changed the password to an apparently acceptable 11 character one, using the MyAccount attached to my DSL account (I had linked the Dial account to it). 6 hours later my Dial webmail will still only accept the original. Trying either password in my email client receives the error message that the address is in use elsewhere, i.e. it is somehow locked.

I suspect that this can only be resolved by TT support, presumably not till Monday now.

Mal469

0 Likes

Message 42 of 66

Hi Mal469 

Just popping in to ask if your pipex password meets the security requirements. If the password is less than 8 characters, for example, it would fail.

If in any doubt, I'd advise changing your email password using the Forgotten password button in the help page.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 43 of 66

Hi Ady,

Yes, I have just done so (having taken the trouble to save the emails therein). It has made no difference. The login fails with this error. Needless to say, the password is unchanged and still works in webmail. 

Unable to send or receive messages for the xxxxxx Dial account. An incorrect password was entered. The next time you send or receive messages, you'll be asked to enter your username and password for this account.

Server Error: 0x800CCC90
Server Response: -ERR [IN-USE] Temporary authentication failure.
Server: 'pop.dial.pipex.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC92
Protocol: POP3
Port: 995
Secure(SSL): Yes

On the iPhone it also reported "Account in use on another device" (I think)

Any suggestions please?

Mal469

0 Likes

Message 44 of 66

Hi Mal469, have you tried removing the mail account from the mail client and then readding it. This will make sure there's no caching issues. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 45 of 66

After successive messages, and upgrades of associated accounts, we have now got to the actual upgrade of my original dial.pipex.com account, and I have not been able to download emails for two days.

I can access the webmail account, and can see a TT email reporting the upgrade complete at 21.55 on 29/09/20. However, that message and all subsequent ones have not downloaded, either with my mail client (LiveMail) or on my iPhone.  It doesn't matter whether I use Port 995 with SSL or Port 110 without SSL. I have not changed the password. I have had a quick look at some other posts, which seem to mention a need to change it, but there have been no instructions to do so, and my other accounts, with 8 character passwords still work.

What now?

0 Likes

Message 46 of 66

Thanks Mal469, that's great thanks for posting back to let us know it's sorted.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 47 of 66

Hi Ady,

With fingers crossed I am happy to report that all my addresses appear to be working on all platforms at the moment. So whatever your colleagues did, it seems to have been successful. I had a minor scare when it seemed that one address, the target of a redirect from a website info@, seemed to have adopted that account name for all emails in. However, it turns out to have been duplicates that may have been a temporary hiccup from WLM.

Let's hope we get through the upgrade successfully.

Message 48 of 66

We've got a mail admin working it now. He's making some changes that I'm hoping sort this out very shortly. I believe they're just doing final testing now. 

Ady

Message 49 of 66

Hi Ady,

Well, today my PCs are sending on Port 25 unauthenticated (at the moment!), but our iPhones still encounter the corrupted, mismatched address database error on Port 587. Hopefully someone is working on this problem.

I have now received the "A few days to do" emails on two accounts. The emphasis on having recovery details set up suggests that the changeover is unlikely to do smoothly.

0 Likes

Message 50 of 66

Yes the certificate issue. 

Ady

Message 51 of 66

Hi Ady,

I assume you mean the certificate problem is fixed. The address matching problem is unchanged at the moment. I have checked my accounts on phone and PC.

0 Likes

Message 52 of 66

Hi Mal469, the fix is in place. You should now be able to use your original settings and it should be working again. 

Ady

Message 53 of 66

Hi Ady,

I spoke too soon!  Now my PCs are misbehaving on Port 25 too.

It seems to me that there are two issues going one here. One is the certificate problem, which I assume is being worked on.  Whether one can use the workaround to accept the alternative certificate depends upon whether the option appears.

The other problem is the rejection of the account name for the SMTP connection. I have been given an inkling of what is going on here, as my phone sometimes throws up a meaningful error message. It is trying to match

SMTP:myname@dsl.pipex.com@smtp.dsl.pipex.com

which obviously won't work. It looks like a classic database translation error, whether it is CSV or otherwise, with the column heading, account email and smtp all concatenated. I assume that my other accounts, which don't always return that amount of detail, have the same problem. It looks like someone is going to have to rewrite the procedure.

Luckily, at the moment the inbound emails are unaffected but I have to resort to Gmail to reply.

When the problems have been sorted out by your colleagues, I hope that they will be able to apply a global rule to correct the situation. If all the mailboxes, presumably in their thousands, have to be updated on a case by case basis, we will be here till Christmas or beyond.

0 Likes

Message 54 of 66

Hi Mal469, I've asked the email admin team to see what's going on with mail client connections from pipex users. The private notes section of your community profile is at the bottom of the profile page where you added the landline and mobile numbers. To be honest by the time we get there you'll be able to link the mailboxes to your account yourself. 

Ady

Message 55 of 66

Hi Ady

I received my dial.pipex upgrade email on Friday. I have now received them for all the main accounts/aliases I use. I sent you a PM listing all of them.

I have set recovery details for them all but, having read somewhere here that the recovery email should preferably be off-Pipex e.g. Gmail, I have reset them all to gmail.

I am viewing the next few days with trepidation, as the whole translation process seems to be the usual TalkTalk dog's dinner. I am now suffering the authentication problems on our iPhones and can't send emails, the system claiming the username is incorrect. Happily our PCs are still on Port 25, non-authenticated, and are still working on Livemail. I tried to change the phone to Port 25 but that would not verify either. 

Having read on other threads about managing multiple addresses to receive and send, it all sounds very complicated. I hope that the upgrade will be accompanied by comprehensive instructions that work, so that we don't have to resort to the Forum to achieve working email.

0 Likes

Message 56 of 66

Hi Ady,

I'm not sure of the exact status of my Business account. I'll pick up your PM to discuss.

For the benefit of others, I first had my dial.pipex account with Pipex in 1997.  In 2003 I added broadband to my services, retaining the Dial account. In 2011 I discontinued the dial-up connection but retained the dial.pipex address as it is important to me and th edefault for a number of services. I paid an annual retention fee until a couple of years ago when it started to be waived.

In that time the ownership moved from Pipex via Opal and Tiscali to TalkTalk in 2011. The billing has always been separate, but I have always been able to receive my dial.pipex with my dsl.pipex emails. The suggestion that this might not continue fills me with some alarm

0 Likes

Message 57 of 66

Hi m4r35n357, please start your own topic. Once you have confirm that you've received a letter to all your mail addresses or some of them telling you that the mail upgrade is coming soon. 

Ady

Message 58 of 66

I keep getting really confusing emails about this.  I have my five POP pipex email addresses that I still use.  Do I need to do anything?  All the information seems to be about webmail which I do not use.

I am reluctant to make any changes as lots of things are likely to break!

0 Likes

Message 59 of 66

I've sent you a personal message so that I can take a look at your account for you. 

Ady

Message 60 of 66

Hi Mal469, do you have a Business business account or a residential business account? If you have a business account you're going to have to setup a TalkTalk Mail Plus account too as the business accounts don't support email. 

Ady

0 Likes