email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mails Sent To BTinternet addresses Not Arriving

pbar100
Enlightened One
Message 24 of 24

Well I didn't think I would be back here with the return of an old problem after the all conquering e-mail merger.

But unfortunately mails I am sending from my Pipex address to BTinternet addresses are not arriving.

I sometimes get the age old bounce back of Maximum Retry Queue Age Reached, message aborted after 24.9 hours.

I am therefore back using my always working Hotmail account yet again.

Please would someone be able to look into this problem, thanks.

0 Likes
23 REPLIES 23

Message 1 of 24

That's great, thanks for posting back to let us know it's sorted.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 24

@Ady-TalkTalk  Hi Ady, I'm happy to say that I have solved this issue.

Thought I'd mention it in case you were looking into it further, don't wish to waste anyone's time or efforts.

It involved changes to some client settings, even though they have remained unchanged for ages, something must have altered with TalkTalk or BTinternet (or both) to necessitate it.

Anyway, if you need to know further details to help someone else just PM me.

Thanks for your replies.

Message 3 of 24

Has there been any progress with this please @Ady-TalkTalk 

I am still suffering. I have done some experimentation -

I have tried sending from two mail clients, as well as a pc and a mobile, from home and elsewhere, and all mails to BTinternet addresses fail with that 24.9 hours bounce back message.

I got my neighbour who is on TalkTalk to try to send to these addresses and one of his own BTinternet contacts, and same result, all bounce back.

It has to be a TalkTalk fault?

Any help appreciated, thank you.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 24

Thanks very much Ady, I appreciate it.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 24

I've asked the head of the team to see what his thoughts are on this. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 6 of 24

@Ady-TalkTalk   Please can you tell me if this is being looked at Ady, either as an individual case or a wider issue.

I would like to sort it if possible.

If I could give any other info/details which may help just let me know.

Thanks a lot.

Message 7 of 24

I have a little update to this. I have a friend (believe it or not!) who I've corresponded with for years via e-mail, without issue, their 'name' is all I see as a mail contact, which is normal obviously. Tonight I received a bounce back, first time ever from this contact, and on checking it is, again, a BTinternet address.

Same undeliverable message as I have previously posted from another contact.

Can't help thinking that there is a definite issue with TalkTalk/Pipex and BTinternet addresses.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 24

You are still a little off target, thanks for replying though, it's not blacklisting, as certainly some mails are being received. Most however, to various BTInternet addresses, are not being received by the recipient.

Very possible of course, that many users have the issue but are not aware, or just can't be bothered contacting support, we just don't know.

Yes I am of course using Hotmail for this lone domain when sending mails. It would be nice though, and actually an ambition of mine for several years, to be able to have TalkTalk for my sole e-mails, sending and receiving.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 24

Obvious that there's no global block applied by BT Mail to all TalkTalk Mail users.

The email admins will need to investigate your mailings as an individual case.

Pragmatically, if hotmail works for you going outbound to BT Mail then use that. There are a lot more outgoing mail server IP's that hotmail can use when one gets blacklisted because of spam.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 10 of 24

Thanks for the reply. But obviously just because one person can send a mail it doesn't mean that there isn't an issue at some point or some instances.

I conclude, as you can see from my bounce back message, that TalkTalk mails I am sending (although a small number do occasionally get through strangely) are not being received from the BTInternet addresses I am sending to.

@Ady-TalkTalk  Have you made any further progress at all please?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 24

Here's a screenshot from the BT Mail app on my mobile. 

TalkTalk Mail sent from webmail and then, as in the screenshot, a send via Thunderbird email client for the same mailbox. As you'll see from the timings, sent 10:13 today received 10:13 today.

Screenshot_2021-04-09-10-13

I conclude that BT Mail is not blocking or refusing delivery of secure authenticated mail from TalkTalk SMTP outgoing servers.

Message 12 of 24

@Gondola  Thanks for your reply, appreciate it, but I do feel you have lost sight of the target probelm with that.

I can confirm that this particular recipient's address is alive and well and in daily use. Certainly, all mails which bounce back from TalkTalk (previously and recently) I have re-sent using my Hotmail account, and each one has arrived without issue 100%

I can only think, as I stated initially, that this is another TalkTalk fault.

@Ady-TalkTalk  Just wondering if you have made any progress at all with this.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 24

You'd receive that message if a recipient's mailbox was unavailable for delivery for any reason.  The TalkTalk Mail outgoing server would keep retrying to deliver your mail but would give up after a day.

Unfortunately the BT Mail system does not allow the verification of valid email addresses. This means there's no easy way to see if an email address is currently valid and deliverable.

Message 14 of 24

@Gondola  Unfortunately, I must retract my previous comments about your diagnosis, although a couple of test mails did get through, I am still having mails sent to BTInternet addresses not arriving.

This is with SSL enabled and settings as per TalkTalk's recommendations which you linked to.

Looks like it is a TalkTalk fault after all then.

Two mails sent yesterday at around 8.00pm did not get through. Still receiving this bounce back message -

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.     

Delivery to the following recipients was aborted after 24.9 hour(s):

* addressremoved@btinternet.com

Reason: The following message to @@addressremoved@btinternet.com was undeliverable.The reason for the problem:  Maximum Retry Queue Age Reached

0 Likes

Message 15 of 24

Good to know your mail messages are completing the journey to BT Mail mailboxes.

I agree that the latest iteration of recommended email settings given by the TalkTalk help page is potentially confusing. Not helped when email client softwares / apps use different terminology.

Despite the fact that SSL is deprecated we still talk about SSL/TLS or Apple has it as TLS/SSL and mobile apps require the 'Use SSL' switch to be on. And the outgoing server uses StartTLS so long as the email software is new enough to support that connection method.

What I try and do when giving advice is adapt the TalkTalk description to suit the software and device in use.

Message 16 of 24

@Gondola  I would say that your diagnosis was spot on. Indeed, with SSL enabled in the e-mail client, mails sent to the BTInternet addresses which previously failed, appear to have sent successfully.

Thanks very much, much appreciated. I'm very pleased to have this working and am happy to declare that this was not a TalktTalk/Pipex fault.

I would say though, that some may find the recommended mail settings page slightly confusing, as there is no specific mention of SSL in the settings, although security is listed, it may be worth adding the extra terminology, it may help some.

Thank you again for your help and solution.

Message 17 of 24

Thanks for taking the time to reply and for the help, appreciate it.

Interestingly, SSL encryption was not enabled on the e-mail client which I was sending to BT Internet addresses from.

I have enabled that and sent test mails, will report back with results.

Thanks very much again for the help so far.

Message 18 of 24

Just an observation that I can send from the outgoing talktalk smtp server from TalkTalk Mail to  BT Mail  (btinternet.com) and the delivery is rapid. 

This suggests it's not the TalkTalk servers that are being blocked just that the specific inbound mail is being tagged as spam and deferred for spam scanning.

This then leads to a diagnosis (assuming the mail isn't spam or has a virus payload and has not been marked as spam by any BT Mail recipients) that the originator may not be using SSL/TLS encryption security.

Recommended email settings - IMAP or POP3 

Message 19 of 24

I sent another mail yesterday 29th March at 19.18 and again, have received the same bounce back message as before.

Any closer to finding out why Talktalk/Pipex mails do this please?

0 Likes

Message 20 of 24

Thanks I've passed this over and asked them to take a look for you. Hopefully, this time we'll see something.

Ady