email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mark As Spam Versus Adding Filter

stephen54
Conversation Starter
Message 5 of 5

Hi,

Just had a spam email (new  sender who hadn't been marked as spam) so I marked it as Spam.

I then went to Settings and created a filter for the sender email address.

I then thought; do I really need to do this and what is the difference between the two methods.

I then thought which is the best solution; obviously marking as spam is the quickest/easiest.

Regards

Steve
0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

Message 1 of 5

Gondola, thanks as always for the excellent support you provide to our fellow community members.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 5

Hi stephen54, thanks for taking the time to post back and let us know it's sorted and especially for marking Gondola's post as the best answer. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

stephen54
Conversation Starter
Message 3 of 5

Hi Gondola,

Thanks for the info. That answers all I need to know.

I do filter in to the Spam folder as you recommend.

Regards

Steve

Gondola
Community Star
Message 4 of 5

Hi stephen54 

For true spam select the email and select Mark as Spam from the toolbar. That action will move the offending email to the Spam folder and notify the CloudMark network filters to fingerprint the mail as spam. Fingerprinting gathers a range of information from the spam mail so that even when the sending address changes the spam can still be identified by its characteristics and blocked for all at a network level. CloudMark gathers information from multiple users and external sources to tackle spam.

Filter rules will operate on the specifics of the incoming mail. So you might set a rule to identify a From address. But when the From address is changed (frequently) by the spammers you'll need to adapt different rules. 

A couple of tips:

When filtering it's advisable not to block but to move mail to the Spam folder. It'll be there for 30 days so that you can review anything that is filtered as spam just in case a filter rule doesn't work as expected.

Try not to have lots of filter rules as not only will they be time consuming to check but they'll slow down the sieve through which your wanted mail is delivered either to the Inbox or into folders that you would also define via Filter rules.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes