Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Maybe fake email

5 REPLIES 5
hywel8175
Participant

I have just received an email see below content.

Your TalkTalk account will be closed Down on the 09/28/2020  Due to some unusual activity on your web-mail.

Please kindly use the button below to continue with the same Email Account.

Keep same Account 

Privacy Policy | Customer Support

Copyright © 2020 TalkTalk security management .

It was supposedly sent from this email address: 

talk.talk.service.account@mention-legale-services.com.

I have not done anything with it.Is this a scam.

Regards

Hywel

Hywel
Gondola
Community Star

Hi @hywel8175 

It's a phishing scam trying to get your details.

Please report to TalkTalk and to the UK Government suspicious email reporting service.

The National Cyber Security Centre (part of GCHQ – the Government's cyber and security agency) has launched a suspicious email reporting service (SERS) to take phishing scams down – all you have to do is forward suspicious emails to report@phishing.gov.uk.

Genuine TalkTalk mail messages when viewed via an Internet browser and the TalkTalk Mail sign in to your mailbox will have a yellow padlock icon preceeding the From: sender.

The From name can be spoofed to look like it's from TalkTalk. If a scammer has sent you an email then the yellow padlock icon will not be present and the actual sender's email address in arrow brackets e.g. <fake> will not be an official TalkTalk address. If a scammer is trying to fool you they're trying to get your email address and password to access your TalkTalk mailbox or TalkTalk MyAccount so please also Report a Phishing Email to TalkTalk.

Help with Phishing emails.  Do not click on any buttons or links in the mail message. The scam will redirect to a 'lookalike' copy of the TalkTalk Mail or TalkTalk MyAccount login.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Give Likes below to appreciate my help . . . and to help others Best Answer

Gondola
Community Star

Hi hywel8175 

Just picking up on the PM you sent. You feel you don't appear to have many emails coming through at the moment compared to normal inbox content.

The scammers obviously know your email address and I've suggested you check the haveibeenpwned website for any known data breaches involving your email address.  This may identify other potentially compromised logins for you.

Worth a check of your mailbox to make sure the mailbox is not compromised.

Compose and send the same mailbox a mail message. Check that the message sends without error, is copied into the Sent objects folder and arrives and stays in the Inbox. Mail not reaching the Inbox could mean there's a Filter rule, including an Auto forward which is a special filter rule, that's diverting, discarding or blocking mail.

Let us know of any error message, or if mail does not arrive in the Inbox or disappears from the Inbox.

• Check there is no Auto forward
  • No Filter rules
  • And that your Reset details are current and active (via the main menu)

Filter rules - Delete

Hackers do set up or amend Filter rules to intercept / divert / block password reset logins for other online services just to lock you out.

If there's any evidence of a compromised mailbox then change your email password using the Forgotten password button.

hywel8175
Participant

Hi Gondola,

Email Filter rules show

Blocked senders Filter only

TheHave i Been Pwned site shows 4 breached sites:

Anti Public Combo List

Collection#1

Exploit.In

Onliner Spambot

and no pastes.

I have sent an email it did arrive in the inbox has stayed there and still shows in the sent messages .

Hywel

Hywel
Gondola
Community Star

Hi hywel8175 

If you haven't changed your mailbox password since 2017 / 2018 I would certainly do so now because the onliner spambot collected mail addresses and passwords.

I recommend a password that's unique to the mailbox and is made from multiple words to make it memorable and with the structure including 12 - 15 multicase letters and added numbers and a symbol within the password.

Personally, I'd troubleshoot by disabling the Blocked Senders Filter. This was inherited from the earlier TalkTalk webmail system and is probably way out of date and not doing much to stop spam and may be unintentionally blocking some wanted email.

If you haven't found any other clear evidence then the mailbox security is probably ok but worth the check.

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi hywel8175, follow Gondola's advice you'll not go wrong. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.