email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing emails in Webmail

bobbyb62
Team Player
Message 13 of 13

Our home pc has a problem and won't boot up (its being repaired but looks terminal), so I logged in to Webmail from a laptop expecting to be able to access historic emails (I have a tiscali email account) but my Inbox only shows them going back to 12th May! I have some critical emails that I need access to going back to end of 2018 (and some before that). I haven't deleted any emails and was under the impression that I'd be able to see them on Webmail until I physically deleted them myself?  How do I get these old emails back? I assume TalkTalk back these up somewhere and can recover them?

Can someone please help?    

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

I hate to say it but when TT updated their webmail I had 2 or 3 folders with really important information in that I needed which disappeared completely and I was basically told tough as they never returned into webmail or my Outlook .

I was able to retrieve some of the emails from my Gmail account as I always give that as my address rather than talk talk and have set up gmail to forward to talktalk so I see my emails in my webmail and in Outlook. 

I hope you are luckier than I was !!

0 Likes

Message 2 of 13

What normally happens is that we'll have to chase this on Thursday as these tickets can take a few days to be cleared. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 13

Thanks OCE-Ady.  So what happens next, is someone meant to contact me?

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 4 of 13

Hi bobbyb62, I've raised the fault ticket for you. Please let us know how you get on. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 13

Hi bobbyb62 

I am 100% sure that putting the extra details into Private notes is the correct thing to do.  Only authorised TalkTalk employees can see the Personal information in your Community profile.

The info note wording could be more specific but is standard across the Lithium Community platform for customers and is intended to provide confirmation that the notes box is not made public unlike the Community bio and Signature boxes that are both in the public domain.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 6 of 13

Thanks. Have updated Personal Information as suggested. Are you sure putting email address in the 'Private Notes' section is correct though? it says that's for 'my eyes only'.  

0 Likes

Message 7 of 13

Hi @bobbyb62 

Please ensure your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) includes your name, address, current TalkTalk landline 'phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended). Add, then scroll down and add the email address in Private notes and save changes. The TalkTalk Community Team OCE will then be able to have your email account checked.

If there's corruption of the mailbox then a repair may recover some emails but other than that there is no hidden archive or backup provided by TalkTalk to reinstate old emails.

@zebidee88 has offered a great suggestion for a scenario where a mailbox folder isn't set to be IMAP synchronised to a local folder on a device.

If all your devices are indeed set up as IMAP accounts then they will mirror exactly what's in all synchronised folders in the mailbox.  If you delete emails from the Inbox on any device then that will act on the mailbox and the deleted emails will be moved to the Trash folder (may be named Deleted or Bin on a local app but it's where deleted emails go). Look in the Trash folder if you think that deletion may have happened. 

There is an archive feature of the new TalkTalk Mail platform that puts emails into the Archive folder in year by year archive sub folders.  This works on emails that are more than 90 days old and only when the user selects the archive action to be carried out.

Unless there is a fault I still consider that your description of emails being in the Inbox one day and then nothing before a certain point the next day is classic of a POP3 account type setup for delayed deletion.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 13

I was missing entire folders, one of which was in connection with my laptop. Resigned to never seeing them again I made a new folder with the same name (Chillblast). The next day I looked in the folder for a recent email and all the old ones from last and previous years had appeared inside it. Maybe it was coincidence but if you are missing emails in a folder it might be worth a try.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 13

Thanks but all devices I use to connect to my Tiscali emails are using IMAP. 

0 Likes

Message 10 of 13

Hi bobbyb62 

Your description of what's happening is exactly what would happen if an email client set up for POP3 connection to the mailbox was also set not to delete when downloading emails (the default setting) but to delete from the mailbox Inbox after a preset interval or when deleted from the device Inbox.

Check all devices that you're using to connect to the mailbox using email clients or email apps. Check if the account setup is for IMAP or POP3 and if for POP3 look at the setting for deleting emails from the Inbox.  Typical settings are Delete from the server after a defined number of days or Delete when you delete from the device.

The reason that the Sent folder is left unchanged is that a POP3 connection will work on the Inbox emails only.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 13

Yes, I'm using the new TalkTalk platform. Only emails sent from 12th May are showing in my Inbox! Yesterday and earlier in the week I could see older emails, though I must admit that I didn't check back too far - Feb & March emails were showing though.  So something has happened this week at their end to remove/delete the historic emails, presumably an error on their part, and like I say I haven't deleted them (why would I?!).  Surely there must be a backup?? or an archive of some sort that they can access to retrieve the emails???  Oddly, my Sent box seems fine and contains historical emails going back years.  Suspicious that a new platform is introduced and a load of emails go missing.  What can be done? Who do I need to contact to get someone to looks a this?  

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 12 of 13

Hi @bobbyb62 

I assume your tiscali email has been migrated to the new TalkTalk Mail platform so you're signing in to webmail at the new TalkTalk Mail sign in page? (https://apps.talktalk.co.uk/appsuite) Use the full tiscali email address as the sign in and the tiscali password.

New TalkTalk Apps Sign in.png

If you select the Inbox (it should be selected by default) you should be able to scroll down through all the emails in the Inbox.

There is no backup recovery service offered by TalkTalk.  It's recommended to save wanted emails locally if it's essential that you keep copies of previously sent emails.

0 Likes