email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Onetel password has been hacked

DianeA
First Timer
Message 18 of 18

Hi, I am unable to sign in to my Onetel email account XXXXX REMOVED FOR SECURITY REASONS as someone has hacked my password and replaced it with a new one. I would be grateful for any help in recovering control of my account. 

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

Message 1 of 18

Hi Diane, Gondola really deserves the credit for the bulk of the groundwork with you and as a volunteer.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 18

Hi Diane

You're very welcome.

We appreciate you taking time out to give us your feedback.

Stay safe and secure.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution

Message 3 of 18

Hi Ady, I have been able to reset my password using my alternate Email. I noticed that Auto Forwarding had an email address in that I did not recognise so I have deleted it. I would like to thank you and Gondola for sticking with me on this and resolving it. 🙂

Message 4 of 18

Hi Diane, I've checked and the details have changed in the password reset tool.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 5 of 18

Do you not recognise the gmail address as yours?  If so, it would seem that your password recovery reset details either were not set up or have been changed. I hope you've scanned your email devices to positively remove virus, trojan or other malware that might be capturing passwords.

Let us know if you don't recognise your password recovery email address and I'll alert TalkTalk once more.

Message 6 of 18

Hi Gondola, I've not been able to reset my password using my mobile number so I will be trying to reset using my alternate email address once this has been set up correctly.

Gondola
Community Star
Message 7 of 18

Grateful if you would let us know how you're doing.

Message 8 of 18

Hi @DianeA 

The SMS reset to your mobile appears not to be working.  The SMS system is working so perhaps an issue with the mobile number or mobile not connected to a network. You do recognise the number hinted at as your mobile number?

Therefore use the send a reset link to your alternative email address to pick up a reset. As long as you recognise the hinted at email address. Let us know if that gets you to Step 4 in the password reset process.

Reset your password 3 - Email Reset Link.png

Message 9 of 18

Hi Chris, Thanks for helping. When I get to step 3 in the password reset tool I still get the "We are currently experiencing technical issues with My Account." page.

Regards, Diane.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 18

If you continue to experience problems please let us know and we'll look into this for you

Chris

Message 11 of 18

Thanks Ady, I tried 24 hrs ago and have tried again now, after selecting the reset method the next page displays;

"We are currently experiencing technical issues with My Account."

I guess I'll keep trying and hope the page is working soon.

Gondola
Community Star
Message 12 of 18

Hi Diane

Have you regained access to your email address? The password recovery reset details seem to be available.

Use the Reset password now button in the help article here:

Changing your email password

And don't forget to  follow the additional advice in my post here.

Message 13 of 18

Hi DianeA, thanks for verifying security information. I've requested that the password reset tool be updated for you. It will complete within 24 hours.

Ady

Message 14 of 18

Hi DianeA, I can help you regain control. I've sent you a personal message please note I need ALL of the information requested.

Ady

DianeA
First Timer
Message 15 of 18

Thanks Gliwmaeden2 for your help. I dont have a landline number, the email account is one I've kept going from when I was a Onetel customer many years ago. 

Gondola
Community Star
Message 16 of 18

Hi DianeA 

Do you have any idea how the email password came to be known? If not then all devices you use for email need to be scanned for viruses, trojans or other malware before changing a password.

Noted that the password recovery options aren't recognised. A TalkTalk Support member will need to verify you as the registered email user and set up your password recovery alternate email address and mobile number (the Reset details) so you can send a password reset link or code to authenticate a password change.

Prepare for TalkTalk Mail Support by including in your Community Profile:

• Your name, current home 'phone number (if available). An alternative (mobile preferred) contact number. Full address with postcode (Location)
  • Scroll down to Private notes to add the email address needing recovery, other notes etc
  • After checking and updating, Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

A TalkTalk Support member will reply to this thread from Monday onwards and then Community Personal Message you to confirm your customer account details and or details related to the original registration of the email address. 

When verified the Reset details will be set up during a working week within 24 hours allowing you to set your own password via the Forgotten your password journey. Make sure the password is ultra-strong and unique to the mailbox. Check via the  TalkTalk Mail sign in that you can access the mailbox.

For a compromised mailbox I'd always suggest scanning your email devices for viruses and malware before changing any password. And when you do get access via the  TalkTalk Mail sign in check there's no Auto forward or Filter rule diverting your mail messages.

• Select the Main Settings menu icon      triple line icon top right on the blue header
    (Mobile browser? use the desktop version)
  • Select Settings from the top of the menu
  • Select the inward facing arrowhead by Mail (or Email) in the left side panel
  • Select Filter Rules
    If you see There is no rule defined then you need go no further.
  • To delete a Filter rule including any Auto forward
    select the Dustbin icon    to the right of the rule
    The icon background will turn red   
  • To confirm you really want to delete this Filter rule
    Select the blue Delete button

To see if your email has been involved in known data breaches enter the email address at https://haveibeenpwned.com and let us know if you need more guidance.

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 17 of 18

@DianeA, I have removed your email address from public view.

You must never ever post personal information details on the public forum pages. Please add your Talktalk landline number to your community forum profile details for TT staff to identify your account. 

Only you and staff will have access to that information. 

Please go via your avatar/name; settings; launch profile wizard. 

Staff will not be back on here before Monday, though @Gondola may be able to offer helpful guidance meanwhile. 

I'll escalate this thread into the queue for attention. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.