email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My email is hacked

agrindlay
First Timer
Message 7 of 7

Hi my email looks to have been hacked and I can’t get in to change my password - can you help? Thanks 

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Gondola
Community Star
Message 1 of 7

To see Personal Messages select your avatar top right of this page when signed in to this Community and then select the envelope icon.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

0 Likes

agrindlay
First Timer
Message 2 of 7

Ok what would you like me to do? Thanks

0 Likes

Message 3 of 7

Hi agrindlay, I can help you get the password reset details changed. I've sent you a personal message to get more information. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 7

Hi agrindlay 

OK, that's a pretty good indication that your password has been discovered, your mailbox password recovery reset details changed by the intruder and the password changed to lock you out.

I'll let TalkTalk know that the password recovery options aren't yours because they've been changed by an intruder. A TalkTalk Support member will need to verify you as the registered email user and set up your password recovery alternate email address and mobile number (the Reset details) so you can send a password reset link or code to authenticate a password change.

Prepare for TalkTalk Mail Support by including in your Community Profile:

• Your name, current TalkTalk home 'phone number. An alternative (mobile preferred) contact number. Full address with postcode (Location)
  • Scroll down to Private notes to add the email address needing recovery, other notes etc
  • After checking and updating, Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

A TalkTalk Support member will reply to this thread and then Community Personal Message you to confirm your customer account details and or details related to the original registration of the email address.

When verified the Reset details will be set up during a working week within 24 hours allowing you to set your own password via the Forgotten your Password journey. Make sure the password is ultra-strong and unique to the mailbox.

If you don't know how the password came to be discovered I'd suggest scanning your email devices for viruses and malware before changing any password.

When you do get access via the TalkTalk Mail sign in check there's no Auto forward or Filter rule diverting your mail messages.

Main Settings menu (triple line icon top right header - mobile browser? use the desktop version) > Settings > Select the arrow by Mail / Email in the side panel > select Auto forward - untick Enable > go back to the side panel and select Filter rules - if there are any select Disable or Delete.

agrindlay
First Timer
Message 5 of 7

No it’s really weird. My password didn’t work and when I went to reset, the backup email and mobile number were not mine

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 6 of 7

Hi agrindlay 

The Forgotten password button in the help article Changing your email password will take you to password reset and recovery.  If the email address is still active on the TalkTalk Mail platform and you have set up password recovery options you can send your alternate email address a link or your mobile a 6-digit code to authorise a password reset.

Do you get an error message?  If there's an alternate email address or mobile number shown that you recognise from the hints, and have access to, then please select one of those to send a password reset. If you can sign in to TalkTalk Mail webmail then for routine password changes select the password reset to be sent to the account itself or, preferably, update Reset details via the TalkTalk Mail main settings menu then use the Forgotten Password journey.

Do you know the email password? 

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your email address and password, select Sign in.

This is to check the password is working for the TalkTalk Mail webmail sign in.

Are you a TalkTalk Consumer, home broadband, or MailPlus, mail only, customer? Provided the password has not been reset then if you know the current email password you can change the password in MyAccount > My Services > Manage TalkTalk Mail. 

Here's the advice article on managing your email in MyAccount.

Let us know what happens and what you see when using the Forgotten password journey.