email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Nearly) all emails disappeared

Speedmaster
First Timer
Message 11 of 11

Morning boys & girls - an elderly friend (even older than me) has lost his emails from TalkTalk. They were fine last week, apparently. He uses an Android tablet & app, but the emails are still missing if we log into webmail.

There are a few left, some from years ago, in deleted/trash but nothing remains from January onwards.

I can't see anything wrong (!) but the emails are now gone.

Cheers,

Chris

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Thanks for taking the time to post back and let us know Chris. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 11

We do appreciate the feedback and great to know you're both good with the outcome. Take care.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Speedmaster
First Timer
Message 3 of 11

Afternoon Gondola & Ady - please forgive my delayed reply.

Yes Gondola, the emails are working properly now. Although the missing emails are still, mysteriously, missing, the gent is not worried about them, so neither am I!

After much investigation, and speaking to him, the only light he could shed on the situation was saying, "I don't know what I pressed". Maybe he accidentally deleted all the emails? It seems unlikely as the deletions are quite random, but who knows? Anyway, he's happy it working, and that's a result.

Thank you gentlemen for your help. You're a credit to the forums indeed and I wish you all the best.

Cheers,

Chris

Message 4 of 11

Hi Speedmaster, please let us know how you got on.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Gondola
Community Star
Message 5 of 11

Just a quick follow up to find out if your friend has got the mailbox working as it should. 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 11

Just to say that the password upgrade is a good option if there's any evidence of the password being discovered. It will also lock out any rogue or unauthorised collection and deletion of mail whilst troubleshooting by just signing in to TalkTalk Mail webmail to prove that the mailbox is working and mail is being delivered to the Inbox and staying in the Inbox.

0 Likes

Speedmaster
First Timer
Message 7 of 11

Morning gents - many thanks for the very swift replies.

I've tested the emails on  webmail, and checked to see if the settings are available (they are). I sent and replied to a test message successfully, and this is now in the 'sent items' folder (or similar). All good! I also note that two new emails arrived, one yesterday and another today.

But, there are no emails in any folder between January and yesterday, except a few from a couple of years ago. (There are no filters set that I could find and he's using the same Android program as always (which automatically updates itself and is currently up-to-date).

Gondola mentions a potential password problem: would that cause these specific problems?

Thanks again gentlemen,

Chris

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 8 of 11

And Ady from TalkTalk Support is here so I'll leave you in Ady's safe hands to help get your friend back in action.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 9 of 11

Hi @Speedmaster 

If your friend has recently set up a new mail collection service or app and that's downloaded most of the mail messages and deleted those from the online server then the service or app on the device he's using will have those mail messages in the Inbox.

Or it's possible that the mailbox password has been discovered and someone else has access to the mailbox and may have done the above.

If there's any doubt it would be wise to scan devices for password grabbing virus or malware and then upgrade the password. The Reset your password now button in the help article  Changing your email password will take you to password reset and recovery. 

If your friend has set up password recovery options, in advance, that are recognised from the *****hints, then he can send the alternate email address a link or the mobile a 6-digit code to authorise a password reset.

But test the mailbox is working.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter the email address and password, select Sign in.

Check the  Inbox first and then check  Spam and  Trash folders for mail messages that may have been diverted from the Inbox. Bear in mind the spam and trash folders normally contain mail not older than 30 days.

Compose and self-send the same mailbox a mail message. Check that the message sends without error, is copied into the Sent objects folder and arrives and stays in the Inbox.

Mail not reaching the Inbox could mean there's a Filter rule, including an Auto forward which is a special filter rule, that's diverting, discarding or blocking mail.

• To check, select the Main Settings menu icon      triple line icon top right on the blue header
    (Mobile browser? use the desktop version)
  • Select Settings from the top of the menu
  • Select the inward facing arrowhead by Mail (or Email) in the left side panel
  • Select Filter Rules
    If there's no rule defined, that's perfect
  • To delete a Filter rule including any Auto forward
    select the Dustbin icon    to the right of the rule
    The icon background will turn red    
  • To confirm you really want to delete this Filter rule
    Select the blue Delete button

Let us know of any error message, or if mail did not arrive in the Inbox or disappeared from the Inbox. Collecting mail messages with a POP3 mail account or mail collection service, like Gmail, may be deleting messages from the online Inbox.

If using email software or mobile email apps, check for software updates and if the email account is set for IMAP or POP3.  POP3 will download and delete mail from the Inbox.

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 10 of 11

Hi Chris, has the customer checked to see if they've got another client setup that might have collected the mail? Do they have control of the password reset options? Have you checked in webmail to see if there are any mail forwards setup? 

Ady