email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving some emails from work account

ValBillingham
Chatterbox
Message 15 of 15

I have an intermittent problem with receiving some (but not all) emails from my work email account, and from colleagues' accounts.

I have checked spam folders and webmail, and have altered the spam setting on webmail, but this has not solved the problem.

Work IT support have run a trace and said the problem is not with the work server.  They are not getting bouncebacks and not getting any indication that the emails are being rejected by any filters.  They say the emails appear to be going into a "black hole on the TalkTalk server".

Grateful for help with fixing this.

Val
0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

Message 1 of 15

I searched on your TT address to and we've not blocked anything incoming

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 15

Hi Val

The logs cover just the previous 7 days so if you can get one of your work mails sent ASAP and let Ady know the date and time of sending that would be the best way to make progress to see what's happening.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

ValBillingham
Chatterbox
Message 3 of 15

Ady, that is hardly surprising, given (a) I have been on annual leave so no-one has been sending emails to me from those addresses for the last seven days and (b) we know it's not a blocking issue, it's an error on the system somewhere. The emails are being accepted by the TalkTalk server and then going god knows where. Please could you either do a proper, in-depth investigation or pass on my case to someone who will? I am running out of patience.

Val
0 Likes

Message 4 of 15

Hi ValBillingham, I've checked over the last 7 days with all the emails provided and we're not showing blocking on any of them. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 5 of 15

Hi ValBillingham, apologies for the delay. I was on leave last week and had a lot of catching up to do.  Please add the affected sending and receiving email addresses to the private notes secition of your profile. I've sent a personal message to get more information. 

Ady

ValBillingham
Chatterbox
Message 6 of 15

Is someone from TalkTalk Support going to ask me privately for the other domain name as Gondola said they would, and actually check what is happening to those emails?

Val

ValBillingham
Chatterbox
Message 7 of 15

Yes I know, and so did the IT support guy who ran the trace from my work domain.  So what now?

Val

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 8 of 15

Hi ValBillingham, if they were rejected by TalkTalk then a rejection message would be sent. 

ValBillingham
Chatterbox
Message 9 of 15

Ok, thanks.  Sorry, I meant just before 8.00 am - 7.59-ish.  I am not a morning person!

Enjoy the long weekend.

Val

Message 10 of 15

As this is a special Jubilee weekend it's going to be from Monday onwards when TalkTalk Support will pick up this thread. They'll be able to see if the 7am mail today 3rd June was accepted by the TalkTalk Mail servers and if so, what happened to it.

0 Likes

ValBillingham
Chatterbox
Message 11 of 15

Thank you.  Yes, the Blocked Senders one was the only filter and I have deleted it now.  I sent myself a message from my work email account just before 7.00 am and as of 8.35 am it has not arrived.  Happy to share the originating domain with TalkTalk Support.

Val

Message 12 of 15

Hi Val

Was the Blocked Senders filter rule the only filter rule present?  That particular filter rule would have been created by the former mail platform and is inevitably well out of date and my recommendation is that it should be deleted.

So long as there is no filter rule defined then your work mail should be found in the Inbox. Thanks for testing with the self send as that proves all is as expected. The next step is to retest with your work mail sending direct to the TalkTalk mailbox. I emphasise sending direct because forwarding mail from another mail service / personal domain mail may not work reliably.

Let us know what happens.

If that mail is still not being received you'll need to let us know the originating domain but as this could be too revealing in terms of personal data you may need to wait until TalkTalk Support (member names ending -TalkTalk) request this via a Community Personal Message (PM).

0 Likes

ValBillingham
Chatterbox
Message 13 of 15

Thanks Gondola.  I have been through all the steps you advised (which I had done before anyway).  Checking the Filter Rules was the step my work IT support talked me through and I disabled the Blocked Senders filter, which was the only one there.)

I sent a test message to myself at 9.39 and it arrived in my inbox at 9.41.  I access my mail on my laptop via Outlook and IMAP/SMTP.

Grateful for your advice on next steps.

Val

Gondola
Community Star
Message 14 of 15

Hi ValBillingham 

You're saying that receiving mail from your work email domain is intermittent and some mail is received but not all. There was a temporary issue in receiving mail on 30th May between 17:15 and 21:15 but no other issues that I'm aware of.

You say you've altered the spam setting on webmail. I don't know what that is unless you're saying that you have filter rules active.

So, we'd better go through some webmail troubleshooting. And then we need to know how you normally use email.

First, prepare for TalkTalk Mail Support (that may not be until after the long weekend) by including in your Community Profile, Personal Information (here):

• Your name, current home 'phone number. An alternative (mobile preferred) contact number. Full address with postcode (Location)
  • Scroll down to Private notes to add email address(es), notes and references etc
  • After checking and updating, Save changes

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your email address and password, select Sign in.

Check the  Inbox first and then check  Spam and  Trash folders for mail messages that may have been diverted from the Inbox. Bear in mind the spam and trash folders normally contain mail not older than 30 days.

Compose and self-send the same mailbox a mail message. Check that the message sends without error, is copied into the Sent objects folder and arrives and stays in the Inbox.  We need confirmation that normal mail sending and receiving is working for your mailbox.

Mail not reaching the Inbox could mean there's a Filter rule, including an Auto forward which is a special filter rule, that's diverting, discarding or blocking mail.  So we need to know that there is no rule defined.

• To check, select the Main Settings menu icon      triple line icon top right on the blue header
    (Mobile browser? use the desktop version)
  • Select Settings from the top of the menu
  • Select the inward facing arrowhead by Mail (or Email) in the left side panel
  • Select Filter Rules
    If there's no rule defined, that's perfect
  • To delete a Filter rule including any Auto forward
    select the Dustbin icon    to the right of the rule
    The icon background will turn red    
  • To confirm you really want to delete this Filter rule
    Select the blue Delete button

Let us know of any error message, or if mail did not arrive in the Inbox or disappeared from the Inbox. Collecting mail messages with a POP3 mail account or mail collection service, like Gmail, may be deleting messages from the online Inbox.

So, just let us know that you're not collecting mail with any mail collection service or standard POP3 mail account and that you have no filter rules active in the mailbox that might be diverting mail messages out of the Inbox.

0 Likes