email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old TalkTalk Email hacked

jay293
First Timer
Message 14 of 14

Good Morning

We also cannot access our account as the password is incorrect, but we haven’t changed it.
I’ve checked the back up and recovery email is not one we recognise. 
I spoke via live chat and someone was going to report it for me. I’ve also called, but was told the whole system was down and so they couldn’t help, but not to worry as there would not be any activity on the account as no one else could be using it either. However I’ve now had a dodgy email from “myself” sent to another of my email addresses. 
I can see on the forum people have had help resetting. Is the system up again now? 
Any damage is probably already done but if I can get back in I can remind myself what data is available there and check for other possible breaches. 
Thank you 

Julie

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Hi Julie

That's a load of tosh. TalkTalk may well limit you to webmail only access if you're not a current TalkTalk Consumer customer. But the system does not send fake email to your contacts nor does it change your password recovery reset details to prevent the user changing a password. 

And there would be an email notification of deletion prior to the mailbox being permanently deleted.

Your mailbox password has been changed so you need to be verified as the registered email user and provide the correct user details that match the account holder at the time the email address was first granted. It's those details that you seem not to be giving Ady-TalkTalk. 

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution

0 Likes

jay293
First Timer
Message 2 of 14

Hi

Just to confirm I’ve spoken to Talk Talk and they are the ones that have locked us out,  the unknown onetel.com back up email does not mean we have been hacked. We chose not to upgrade to Mail Plus therefore we no longer have access. I misunderstood and thought actions would be limited and only available via the website, but apparently you will have no access at all. 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

Hi jay293, unfortunately as you've not been able to provide the required information I can't help you with this. If you've been able to pass on the phone and livechat they'd be your obvious alternatives or if not hang on until 7 days have elapsed and if you've been able to obtain the information we can try again.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

jay293
First Timer
Message 4 of 14

I’m sorry, I don’t think I understand. 
I tried using my gmail (as per my community details) but it says it is not recognised. (Tried on set up & log in) 

I can’t use the TalkTalk as I can’t get in to retrieve any verification details you send. 
Ive tried the link again. If not could you call me? I passed verification twice last week. Once on live chat and once on the phone. 
Thanks 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 14

Hi jay293, please answer the questions in the below link to enable us to access your account and help with your questions:
 https://smm.page.link/iNqWNPiZNgdskoJu8

If you don't have a Telephone Enquiry Password, follow our guide to create one or select the "I don’t have a password" link to answer some different questions. Setting up your telephone password

Thanks 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 6 of 14

Hi jay293, unfortunately some of the information you've provided doesn't match what we hold on system. I've resent the link this time please follow the steps to setup a telephone enquire password before providing the information.

Ady

Message 7 of 14

Hi jay293, I've sent you a personal message to get more information from you. 

Ady

jay293
First Timer
Message 8 of 14

Hi, we don’t use that old email account. I just monitor it, so I don’t believe I have responded to any phishing emails. 
Thanks

Message 9 of 14

Hi jay293 

I've seen that in another member's password reset details which might suggest both are part of the same recent activity, maybe a phishing email, by the same criminal gang. Can you recall any recent emails asking you to enter passwords or if you see anything on the haveibeenpwned website that might have captured your password?

jay293
First Timer
Message 10 of 14

It is

******son@onetel.com

Thanks

Message 11 of 14

While waiting, what's the email domain for the password recovery alternative email address that you see is not your email? 

jay293
First Timer
Message 12 of 14

Thank you for your advice, we will review as suggested.  I’ve updated my profile and will await further instructions. Thanks

Gondola
Community Star
Message 13 of 14

Do you have any idea how the email password came to be known? If not then all devices you use for email need to be scanned for viruses, trojans or other malware before changing a password.

I'll let TalkTalk know that the password recovery options aren't recognised. A TalkTalk Support member will need to verify you as the registered email user and set up your password recovery alternate email address and mobile number (the Reset details) so you can send a password reset link or code to authenticate a password change.

Prepare for TalkTalk Mail Support by including in your Community Profile:

• Your name, current home 'phone number (if available). An alternative (mobile preferred) contact number. Full address with postcode (Location)
  • Scroll down to Private notes to add the email address needing recovery, other notes etc
  • After checking and updating, Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

A TalkTalk Support member will reply to this thread from Monday onwards and then Community Personal Message you to confirm your customer account details and or details related to the original registration of the email address. 

When verified the Reset details will be set up during a working week within 24 hours allowing you to set your own password via the Forgotten your password journey. Make sure the password is ultra-strong and unique to the mailbox. Check via the  TalkTalk Mail sign in that you can access the mailbox.

For a compromised mailbox I'd always suggest scanning your email devices for viruses and malware before changing any password. And when you do get access via the  TalkTalk Mail sign in check there's no Auto forward or Filter rule diverting your mail messages.

• Select the Main Settings menu icon      triple line icon top right on the blue header
    (Mobile browser? use the desktop version)
  • Select Settings from the top of the menu
  • Select the inward facing arrowhead by Mail (or Email) in the left side panel
  • Select Filter Rules
    If you see There is no rule defined then you need go no further.
  • To delete a Filter rule including any Auto forward
    select the Dustbin icon    to the right of the rule
    The icon background will turn red   
  • To confirm you really want to delete this Filter rule
    Select the blue Delete button

To see if your email has been involved in known data breaches enter the email address at https://haveibeenpwned.com and let us know if you need more guidance.