Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Old emails have gone!

10 REPLIES 10
sidjoloo
Chatterbox

I have tried to get access to my old emails today, this is the warranty for an item in my home and I need the confirmation number that was emailed to my talktalk account.

But all the emails have gone missing! I can't see any emails since 2017 and I don't forward them anywhere.

What's happened?

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @sidjoloo

I've drawn this topic to the attention of the TalkTalk Community support team and the OCE will respond to you right here to help you.

You may have already done this bit but ensure your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) includes your landline phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended). Add, then scroll down and add the email address in Private Notes and save changes. The Community support OCE will then be able to link this topic to your TalkTalk service account.

In the meantime, I suggest you change your email password in your MyAccount > My Services > Manage Webmail - Change password.

Send your talktalk email a test email from another email service to see if it's received.

Switch off email in all of your own devices (don't change their passwords yet) but on one device load an Internet browser and login to webmail here and check the inbox for the email.  If you don't see it, check and clear auto-forwarding for any unauthorised forwarding and then check the Trash folder and Filters and the Blocked Senders Filter.  That last bit is important as sometimes email can get inadvertently blocked.

Having changed the password, if any device is connecting as a POP3 email client and downloading and deleting your emails it will no longer work.  This applies to your own devices and any unauthorised devices.

If you do have multiple devices to view your emails then it's best to connect as an IMAP client so all devices are synchronised to the email server. Here's what to do to migrate from POP3 to IMAP. Here's the settings for POP3 and IMAP.

Having changed the password of the email you'll now need to update the password on your devices.  The next thing to check, if you have made any changes to webmail forwarding / blocked senders, is that you can now send yourself an email from another service and make sure it arrives by checking webmail then also check what happens when you connect an email client.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Give Likes below to appreciate my help . . . and to help others Best Answer

sidjoloo
Chatterbox

My emails have not been set up to forward to any other email address.

I am just trying to access emails in the talktalk web site, I have not sent these emails anywhere else.

When I come to the talktalk website and log on (I changed the password several times in the last few years, the last time was today BTW) there are no old emails showing. I only have about 145 emails in total in my email box. There are no filters of forwarding options applied.

Gondola
Community Star

...and what happens when you send that email account an email from another email service?

sidjoloo
Chatterbox

they go through fine. 

just send an email to myself and it turned up seconds later.

Gondola
Community Star

...that's good because with a newly changed password your talktalk email account is working as expected.

Do you only ever use webmail or do you collect emails on other devices?

sidjoloo
Chatterbox

I have only ever used webmail, I can't remember ever having them sent to another device. 

Gondola
Community Star

...ok, just hang on for the email expert OCE to have a look and run a repair job on the mailbox to see if that will recover the 'missing' emails.

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi sidjoloo, please add the affected email address to private notes in your community profile and I'll be happy to run a repair for you. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

sidjoloo
Chatterbox

Hi Ady,

I have added the email address that we set up for TalkTalk in the private notes section.

Please let me know if you can't find it, I hope I put it in the correct place!

JoAnne

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Thanks JoAnne, I've run the repair on the mailbox it looks like it's saved some for you. Let me know how you get on. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.