email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onetel email password reset - compomised account

Paul_T1
Popular Poster
Message 14 of 14

Hi, I use a legacy Onetel email account which I've had in place for some years.  It has been compromised and I'm receiving threatening emails (from other posts, it appears others have had the same experience).  I don't take the threats seriously but I do now need to change the password on my email account and I have no means of doing that myself.

I've reported this to TalkTalk as a scam, but please could you advise me how to change the password?  Or could you take this a password change request?

Thanks.

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Ok, then it seems likely that someone else has accessed the account and changed the password.  This is now a full-on security breach, could you treat it with some urgency?  How can I up the priority of the ticket?

If you cannot change the password on my behalf, then please close down the email account completely.

Thank you.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 14

Hi Paul, 

The ticket is still open with them, they will contact you when the password has been changed.

Thanks 

Stephen, Community Manager
0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

Hello again.  I can now no longer access Onetel email either through WebMail or my local mail client, getting an authentication error.  Has the password been changed, if so shouldn't I expect to be notified? 

0 Likes

Message 4 of 14

What other topic?  This is the only thread I have open.

Message 5 of 14

Paul,

Your request was raised with the support team on your other topic. 

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

Hi - I provided information as requested, but there still doesn't appear to be any action.  I know ity's a legacy email system, but this is a security breach and people are attempting criminal activity using the compromised account information.  Thanks

0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

Hey Paul, 

Ive just sent you a private message, if you could ignore the first one and reply to the 2nd please once we have the info we need we can get this sorted for you. 

thanks

Message 8 of 14

OK thanks

0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

Hi Paul_T1 

I noted yesterday that TalkTalk Staff picked up a topic in this forum dated 18 April. Yours is dated 27 April.

So my estimate would have to be that it'll be another week waiting time. I have no visibility of the TalkTalk workflow or who is allocated this topic or when it'll be actioned. 

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . and to help others Best Answer

0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

Hello - another follow-up.  Is anything happening please?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 14

Hi Paul

You're in the queue for a password change.

All TalkTalk Consumer managed legacy email addresses including the onetel family are due to be upgraded to the TalkTalk Mail platform.

About TalkTalk Mail Plus 

TalkTalk Mail Support Hub - see not migrated yet

0 Likes

Message 12 of 14

Hi,  I have received another threatening email this morning.  Please could you proceed ASAP with the password reset?

There is mention in the response about moving to TalkTalk email, could you explain what you mean and what's involved in that?

Many thanks

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 13 of 14

Hi Paul

Password change request it is. Here's how it works, beause there is no password change option on the legacy onetel mailzone dashboard.

just quick double-check that your Community Profile includes in Personal Information (Click here) your name, current landline 'phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended) and address with postcode (location). Then scroll down to Private notes to add the onetel email address with any relevant other notes and finally save changes.

TalkTalk will need to verify you are the registered onetel mail user and then authorise the securing of the mailbox and a password change. You'll get an initial response from a TalkTalk (TT Staff) team member here.

You'll then receive via Community Personal Messaging (the envelope icon by your avatar top right of this page when signed in to Community), a data verification request prior to authorising the password change.

You'll then get a call on your mobile and a team member will run a security check and give you the new password.

When the onetel mailbox is migrated to the TalkTalk Mail platform and you have a MyAccount as a MailPlus or Broadband customer then you'll be able to manage the password change there or set up Reset Details for when you forget the password and need to reset it.

Hugely grateful, as you've received a phishing or criminal demand via email quoting a onetel password whether correct or not, for reporting that email to TalkTalk security.

Report a phishing or spam email it helps to identify scammers.

I'd recommend scanning your email devices against virus and malware just to give you confidence that there's nothing capturing passwords.

If the password is current but is not unique to the onetel mailbox then do change other passwords asap. Also review any other online presence where you use the onetel email address. 

If there's a known data breach involving your onetel email address then it may be listed at haveibeenpwned.com. If on entering your email address the page stays blue then ok. If it goes red, scroll down to see the reports. It may help you to identify any other linked accounts that may be compromised.

0 Likes