email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onetel email setup

jttacc
Chatterbox
Message 15 of 15

I am trying to set up a mail client for a friend. She is with TalkTalk and has a Onetel email account.

I have tried both Outlook and the Standard Win10 email client however neither work correctly.

Win10 mail seems to correctly choose the settings and will receive email but will not send.

Outlook is the preferred option. When adding the account automatically it chooses the wrong smtp server. When set manually using the values specified in the above post it cannot connect to the outgoing mail server and refuses to create the account.

Please can someone from TalkTalk confirm the outgoing SMTP settings for a onetel.com account and confirm that Onetel is still supported by TalkTalk for mail client connections.

Is it possible to use a onetel email address on a newer talktalk server so I can enable TLS and authentication?

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

Message 1 of 15

Hi jttacc 

I agree, it'll be the Outlook setup. But Windows Mail is good.

And very soon the upgrade to the TalkTalk Mail platform will give you the full features of TalkTalk Mail including secure connection for your email content and password between your mail software and the TalkTalk mail server.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 2 of 15

So I have managed to get windows 10 mail working. I think I must have got a setting wrong when I tried it before.

Outlook still refuses to connect. Since I am using the same settings I assume this is an Outlook problem.

I think until TalkTalk update the security for Onetel that is probaly the best I can do.

Message 3 of 15
I tried that but this site wouldn't accept jpg or bmp
0 Likes

Message 4 of 15

Hi jttacc 

Settings there look perfect.

• Open Microsoft Outlook
  • Select the File tab > Info > Account Information page and select Account Settings
  • Select the onetel mailbox and select Repair
  • In the next window, select Advanced options, tick Let me repair my account manually and select Repair
  • On the next page, you will see incoming and outgoing server settings
    Check and if any information is set incorrectly, update it for both Incoming mail and Outgoing mail configurations
    Show and check passwords, tick Remember password
    For outgoing mail untick server requires authentication but do select Log on using user name and password
  • When the outgoing connection setup is updated, click Repair

If the onetel mail account hasn't been created then a recent topic on the same issue has showed that by going via the Windows Settings > Accounts > EMail > Outlook > Add Email account, allows the full setup to be successfully completed.

Message 5 of 15

Those attachments are very hard to read, can you try actual screenshots rather than pdf documents?

Message 6 of 15

I now have screenshots.

Attached are settings I used for Outlook and the error message received. Sorry about the rotation not sure why that happened.

It looks like Outlook is trying to enforce encryption even though I have selected none.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 15

Let us know when you can.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 8 of 15

Unfortunately I don't have constant access to the computer.

My friend is not particularly techinical but I may be able to talk her through getting screenshots.

I am pretty certain the outlook settings were as required though. I will try to check then get back to you.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 15

Hi jttacc, Gondola's advice is spot on. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 15

... if you can offer screenshots of the email client settings, both incoming and outgoing server / advanced settings then I'll see if there's something amiss.  The client setup should work via a TalkTalk home broadband connection.

It'll need a bit of troubleshooting maybe. When testing, do disable anti-virus scanning just in case this is holding up the outgoing connection.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 15

Hi Gondola

Sorry I think I caused confusion. It is not working whilst connected to the home Talktalk broadband.

My friend is currently having to resort to using the Webmail as per your link even when she is at home.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 15

Hi jttacc 

If the email client send is not working because your friend is away from the TalkTalk home broadband connection and therefore trying to connect via another network, fixed or mobile, then it will not get the required TalkTalk network authentication.

It's just port 25 for the moment. When the TalkTalk Mail upgrade is complete then it'll be port 587, STARTTLS and network authentication using the email password.

I'd suggest using the onetel webmail when away from home. Onetel webmail sign in here.

But if your friend is connecting via the TalkTalk home broadband connection then I'd suspect an email client setup error rather than a router error. 

If you wish and are able to take some screenshots of the email client settings, both incoming and outgoing server / advanced settings then I'll see if there's something amiss.

Message 13 of 15

Hi Gondola

Thanks for the reply.

I saw the page you linked to and used the Onetel.com setting listed for IMAP but unfortunately my friend can only receive and not send.

This is odd since she is a Talktalk customer.

I know my friend recently had a new Talktalk modem replacing an old COTS modem and it may be that this problem started at the same time. Could this be a factor?

Some mail servers support an alternative port for sending when away from home. Do you know if there is one for Onetel.com? Maybe this would be a work around until the server is upgraded to use encryption.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 14 of 15

Hi @jttacc 

The onetel mail settings are in this article Email settings - IMAP & POP3 scroll down and expand the section onetel.com

The onetel mail server is a legacy server still using unencrypted settings. i.e. no SSL/TLS, insecure ports and no authentication. The mail client will receive mail but send mail only when connected to and authenticated by the talktalk broadband connection. In this regard, your friend should be able to both send and receive mail via the talktalk broadband connection but not via a mobile network connection.

The good news is that the legacy mail accounts including onetel are due to be upgraded to the TalkTalk Mail platform over the next months. When that happens the SSL/TLS secure ports and outgoing authentication can be enabled.  Mail users will receive individual email account notifications prior to and when the upgrade is complete.