email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onetel, unable to send emails.

Emmos
Popular Poster
Message 7 of 7

I posted a problem with my Onetel emails in October 2020. The problem I have with my three accounts is I am unable to send emails from them.  In account settings I have changed the smtp to mail.onetel.net.uk and mail.onetel.com also smtp.talktalk.net without success. Even changed the port from 465 to 587 but they all time out. Ideas anyone?

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7

That's great. Thanks for letting us know it's sorted.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 7

That's good Emmos; the settings for Thunderbird are exactly as in the table I gave you including the Authentication Method set as Normal Password.  Good to know you're back in action. We appreciate you taking time out to give us your feedback.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Emmos
Popular Poster
Message 3 of 7

Sorry I had omitted that I am trying to send emails from my Onetel accounts via Thunderbird. I have set all my accounts with smtp.talktalk.net with the port at 587 and Outgoing Connection Security as STARTTLS and that works.

Many thanks.

Message 4 of 7

Hi Terrym91 

Thank you kindly for your support and for making your very first post here to help member Emmos.

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 7

Hi Emmos, Gondola won't lead you astray. Please post back and let us know how you get on. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Gondola
Community Star
Message 6 of 7

Hi Emmos 

Are you still a TalkTalk Consumer (home broadband) customer?  If not your mailbox may get restricted to webmail only access unless you've subscribed to   TalkTalk Mail Plus to retain the use of a TalkTalk Mail email address across your email devices and email client software.

If you have a mail message from TalkTalk about restriction or deletion of your TalkTalk managed email address and mailbox then add your TalkTalk mailbox address to a TalkTalk Consumer home broadband or MailPlus MyAccount to avoid restriction to webmail only access after 60 days and deletion after 180 days. (see below *)

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your full onetel email address and password, select Sign in.

This is to check the password is working for the TalkTalk Mail webmail sign in.

If your password is deemed weak then you might be restricted to webmail only until your password is upgraded.  Please review your password strength and follow the advice here: Upgrade your legacy mail password to upgrade your email password.

Then to get the email client settings updated you'll need to use TalkTalk email settings that are the same for all mailboxes managed by TalkTalk Consumer including the onetel domain: Help page: Email settings - IMAP & POP3

On updating the email software incoming, outgoing and some advanced server settings, you'll possibly be asked to accept a new certificate (yes, accept) and to enter the email password so have the current password ready. Tick to save the password before entering it.

Supported** email client and app settings are:

Account Type  IMAP (recommended) or POP3
Username Full email address
Password Email password
Incoming mail server mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port (IMAP / POP3) 993 / 995
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS (Use SSL on for mobile)
Outgoing mail server smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security STARTTLS (Use SSL on for mobile)
Outgoing Authentication Required Yes
Authentication Method Normal Password

Apple/Mac Mail Connection Security is use TLS/SSL

It's also important to make sure the email address is added to a TalkTalk Consumer customer MyAccount to avoid restriction to webmail only access and possible deletion. 

*Email not showing in MyAccount

** Email clients, apps and devices that do not support secure mail using a minimum of TLS1.2 connection security are not supported.