email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outgoing email from Pipex - not leaving TalkTalk. NDR after a day.

gmlack
Whizz Kid
Message 14 of 14

I've just had 3 non-delivery reports for a message I sent 24.9 hours ago (to 6 addressees).

Two of these are btinternet addresses and the other is a gmail one.

I can't believe that these email services have been unreachable for over a day without reports of the problem arriving on the Internet generally, so I have to assume that something is wrong with TalkTalk's SMTP transport.

The odd thing about that message is that the Plusnet addressee didn't get it either, as Plusnet was instantly rejecting it as SPAM (which it isn't). So part of it was getting through.

This message was sent from a unmigrated Pipex mail address.

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

@Ady-TalkTalk wrote:

Yeah the email admins did indeed update the records yesterday.

So, only a few weeks after it was actually required.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 14

Yeah the email admins did indeed update the records yesterday. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

@gmlack good to see TT have fixed this anomaly. I too can confirm that emails to Gmail are being received with an SPF Pass and therefore no delays like hitherto.

Eureka! Pipex mailboxes have migrated!
0 Likes

Message 4 of 14

Also, email to an Outlook account now reports a X-SID-Result of PASS (previously was FAIL), although even the FAILs were being delivered....for me.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 14

Hooray! It seems that someone has updated the SPF record this morning!!!!

[gmllaptop]: host -t txt dsl.pipex.com
dsl.pipex.com descriptive text "v=spf1 mx include:_spf.talktalk.net ip4:212.74.100.16/28 ip4:212.74.96.0/24 ip4:212.74.112.0/24 ip4:212.74.114.0/24 ptr:mail.tiscali.co.uk include:as9105.com ~all"

And email to gmail now reports:

ARC-Authentication-Results: i=1; mx.google.com;
       spf=pass (google.com: domain of my.addr@dsl.pipex.com designates 62.24.135.69 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=my.addr@dsl.pipex.com

0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

@gmlack wrote:
And it turns out that this is because the SPF RECORD for dsl.pipex.com IS INCORRECT!!!

Interestingly, the SPF record for onetel.com does seem to be OK. In fact it seems to be what the record for dsl.pipex.com should be?

[gmllaptop]: host -t txt onetel.com
onetel.com descriptive text "v=spf1 mx a ip4:62.24.135.128/26 ip4:62.24.229.0/26 ip4:62.24.135.64/26 ip4:78.144.6.128/26 ip4:62.24.202.67/32 ip4:62.24.202.68/32 ?all"

0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

@gmlack wrote:

Also, the gmail servers are also complaining that smtp-out-1.talktalk.net. [62.24.135.65] is also not designated as a permitted sender for dsl.pipex.com.

So it's not just the tiscali.co.uk SMTP servers that have this issue, it seems to be all of the TalkTalk ones.

So TalkTalk needs to do something about this before email starts to be rejected.

And it turns out that this is because the SPF RECORD for dsl.pipex.com IS INCORRECT!!!
It doesn't appear to have been updated in AGES!!!

This is the current SPF record for dsl.pipex.com:

[parent]: host -t txt dsl.pipex.com
dsl.pipex.com descriptive text
"v=spf1 mx ip4:212.74.100.16/28 ip4:212.74.96.0/24 ip4:212.74.112.0/24 ip4:212.74.114.0/24 ptr:mail.tiscali.co.uk include:as9105.com ~all"

and this isn't going to work as the mail is no longer sent out via systems with IP address of  212.74.x.x, etc..

The SPF record for talktalk.net looks more likely to work - this is:

[parent]: host -t txt talktalk.net
talktalk.net descriptive text 
"google-site-verification=vjdC3D-phY9N5etG_pkxVrNb0ey6p7DKb8xSGCzt9zo"
talktalk.net descriptive text "v=spf1 redirect=talktalkplc.com"
talktalk.net descriptive text 
"google-site-verification=S6Lrs1qzM4dRd9NIio8Om_zpu8btg5bH1AJGKIfnhM8"

and the _netblocks.talktalkplc.com part expands to the IP addresses which seem to be used currently.

So TalkTalk has to pull its finger out and update the dsl.pipex.com SPF record to be the same as the talktalk.net one (or at least similar to it, if there should be actual differences), as it is now using the same servers.

And it should stop claiming that it has already done this - as it clearly hasn't.

And it shouldn't take me to have to check that this is the case.

It would also be nice if, when it is fixed, that gets reported back here....

0 Likes

Message 8 of 14

@stevesurrey wrote:

Frankly I think it was futile trying to raise a technical issue via online chat.

I agree, but I was just trying all options. I'm not blaming the on-line chat personnel for this, it just the way such systems work.

I'd be happy to write a short report, including all relevant information, and submit it somewhere - but that's not an option, so few (or even none) of the details get to those who need to know it.

>>Sigh<<

0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

Frankly I think it was futile trying to raise a technical issue via online chat. They don't have the expertise to deal with it and any upward referrals they may make so often get lost in the system. Your best hope for getting this resolved is on this forum through @Ady-TalkTalk who is still probably busy firefighting all the other migration problems. I am sure he will pick up and run with this issue in time.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

I've just spent a frustrating hour in an on-line chat trying to get this noted as an issue.

Despite listing specific issues

• mail to gmail takes ~8hours to arrive,
  • mail to btinternet.com is sent back undelivered after a day
  • TalkTalk SMTP servers aren't recognized as valid for dsl.pipex.com

but the agent pointed me at the Service Status page (yes - it says mail is OK, that's why I'm trying report that it isn't as clearly TalkTalk has no record of the problems). Then various comments about the mail migration - again irrelevant, as there is still a problem.

All very frustrating. It seems to be that the actual problem report gets ignored and there is a set of standard replies they go through once they hear "email".

0 Likes

Message 11 of 14

Also, the gmail servers are also complaining that smtp-out-1.talktalk.net. [62.24.135.65] is also not designated as a permitted sender for dsl.pipex.com.

So it's not just the tiscali.co.uk SMTP servers that have this issue, it seems to be all of the TalkTalk ones.

So TalkTalk needs to do something about this before email starts to be rejected.

There was a claim a few days ago that the TalkTalk servers were marked as valid senders, but clearly SMTP receivers think otherwise, and it's what they think that matters.

And the test email I sent to gmail eventually turned up after 9 hours - the delay being entirely on the TalkTalk->gmail section.

(a test message from a GMX account arrived almost immediately).

0 Likes

gmlack
Whizz Kid
Message 12 of 14

This NDR production is an ongoing problme.

I've juts had another two NDRs (after 24.9 hours) from the same two btinternet.com addresses.

0 Likes

stevesurrey
Enlightened One
Message 13 of 14

I wonder if this is a result of the sending server name mismatch you have highlighted in another thread.  I know you said this happened to an unmigrated pipex mailbox but I know TT did some server changes ahead of migration as I lost secure POP access prior to migration (even now migrated still cant use a secure connection).

But then I may just be putting  2 and 2 together and coming up with something other than 4!

0 Likes