email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook email client unable to send or receive - dsl.pipex.com address

Richard_F
Popular Poster
Message 21 of 21

Since Friday, 11th September I have been unable to send or receive email via my Outlook email client.  Error message is shown in the attached file.  I have not made any changes at my end that would account for this.

Webmail via https://netmail.pipex.net/index-ttb.php is fortunately working without a problem for me.

Regards

0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20

Message 1 of 21

Hi Muddymedic 

My grateful thanks for the confirmation. I'm pleased the upgrade has gone well for you and also hope the story ends well for Richard.

Stay safe. We need you.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Muddymedic
Super Duper Contributor
Message 2 of 21

Hi Gondola

Long time no speak.  This happened to me exactly in the same timeframe earlier this evening.  For me, it coincided with the migration to TalkTalk Mail, which is now working fine on all platforms. Hopefully, this will be the same for @Richard_F .  Regards

Message 3 of 21

Hi Richard_F 

If the pipex webmail login has been effectively made unavailable (has anyone tried selecting other from the drop down menu?) and the homecall webmail login doesn't work for you (another member said it worked for them) then I don't have an immediate solution for webmail other than waiting for the imminent upgrade to TalkTalk Mail to go through.

When the upgrade is finalised then you'll be able to login to TalkTalk Mail.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 21

Hi Gondola,

It would appear I was too prompt concluding the issue was resolved. I have discovered I cannot send an email from Webmail (http://webmail-legacy.homecall.co.uk/webmail?index=1).  It just reports 'Unable to send message'.  From Outlook It took a while before it would go and I was repeadedly asked for the password.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 21

This may have been mentioned already...

Some years ago, I had a similar problem with outlook, and found that when the mail box exceeds 2gb, it shuts up like a clam, and you can't send or receive! MS don't tell you this happens!

There is a way to get them out with one or two losses, but as I'm now retired, they can stay there for good - I don't want to see them again anyway!

It'll take a quick search to find what files you need I'm afraid!

Scrobs
0 Likes

Message 6 of 21

Hi Richard_F 

A PST file should contain mail messages. Here's the Microsoft advice on viewing a PST file.

I'm not sure how a roll-back to a previous restore point would change what's in the PST file if the Outlook data was corrupted which I think is where we started this conversation. 

If you think it's worth a try then give it a go.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 21

Hi Gondola,

I now have access to my email from Outlook and Webmail.  Thank you very much for your invaluable help.

The only downside is the PST file I created, supposedly of all my emails, prior to deleting my Outlook account appears to have nothing in it but folder synchronisation error messages even though it's about 848MB.  I didn't examine the content prior to account deletion just noted the file size was about right.  Do you think the emails might be in the file even though I can't presently see them?

Alternatively although I've always been sceptical about the sytem restore function I note there was an Automatic Restore Point created on 19/09 (I deleted my account yesterday) and wondered whether you think it's worth doing this to recover my emails?

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 21

Hi Richard_F 

The incoming IMAP server on port 993 uses SSL/TLS encryption

The outgoing SMTP server on port 587 uses STARTTLS encryption

TalkTalk Business just changed the login this morning to remove the pipex selection (although the message about pipex and homecall still remains).

If your mailbox is upgraded to the TalkTalk Mail platform you'll get signed in. NB you need to sign in to the primary mailbox not an alias email address.

If your mailbox is not yet upgraded then you'll get a redirect to the homecall webmail login that will also work for pipex mail domains.

Message 9 of 21

Hi Gondola,

Documented account set up in the attached.  It matters not whether I use my alias email address or the original default:

Outlook email client unable to send or receive - dsl.pipex.com address 3

Also during the course of this afternoon I have discovered TalkTalk Webmail is no longer available to me.

TalkTalk Webmail Access Problem - dsl.pipex.com address

Thanks for your help - I'm presently right up the creek without a paddle!

0 Likes

Message 10 of 21

Hi Richard_F 

Please don't share any personal information with me or this forum. This is why I ask you to obscure the first part of your email address before posting. Your email address is personal data so I don't wish to have any responsibility for keeping it safe.

Otherwise Outlook settings don't reveal personal data.

If you don't wish to post non personal data like settings that all customers use then I'll leave this to TalkTalk (TT Staff) to pick up.

Message 11 of 21

Hi Gondola,

Is there any way I can share sensitive information with you/limited community members?  I'm reluctant to post what you've asked for on an open forum.  Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 21

...and whilst waiting for the screenshots I'm going to ask is your dsl.pipex.com email address the primary address originally issue by pipex or the alias email address that you created?

If it's an alias email address then set up an new email account in Outlook for the primary mailbox to ensure you're getting authentication for the address that will be used on the TalkTalk Mail platform to create your mailbox. i.e. you'll sign in to TalkTalk Mail using the primary email address.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 21

Please screenshot the settings so I can see what you see.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 21

Hi Gondola,

My leap of faith has resulted in the predicament that I almost expected and feared.

Deleted my account in Outlook and thereby all folders blown away.  When I attempt creating a new account (even with no inbound or outbound encryption) this is all I achieve (please see attached file).

This mess has to be attributable to TalkTalk.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 21

Hi Richard_F 

Email settings - IMAP or POP3 in the pipex section are the settings given by TalkTalk.

Hopefully you're using Outlook 2013 or newer.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 21
Hi Gondola,

"What have you got to lose?" - there's the rub, this is what wories me..!

I've had a pipex email since September 2004 and always used Outlook as my email client. In that time I've never had to delete and rebuild my account. Sure I've had issues but it has ALWAYS been a Pipex/Tiscali/TalkTalk problem that has been corrected either with or more usually without my intervention.

I've set up my email four or five times over the years as I've migrated to different PC's, however, since it appears changes have recently been made by TalkTalk or are afoot can you point me to a document that details all the required settings please?

Message 17 of 21

Hi Richard_F 

You showed me a sync error code. The usual fix is the one I've given you. But if the error code is still present now that TalkTalk have made some changes their end then the fix I've given you is still the one you need.  Has the fault condition changed?

If not, try the fix.  What have you got to lose?

0 Likes

DavidEast
Conversation Starter
Message 18 of 21
In all the time we've been with TT, we have had no trouble with our email server upto 7 September this year Since then, no end of issues. Chat line was a little help and some advice from @Ady-TalkTalk. But intermittent issues still causing a nuisance. And that's what it is : a nuisance. Sometimes an email will send, sometimes not. Sometimes emails to us are bounced back, other times not.
Sorry, I've not offered any sort of solution

Richard_F
Popular Poster
Message 19 of 21
Hi Gondola

Thanks for your interest. I'm a little surprised you believe this is Outlook corruption and isolated to me. I have seen a few posts over the past few days of several people having dsl.pipex.com email issues. Is this really a user problem or something as I suspect at the TalkTalk end?

Gondola
Community Star
Message 20 of 21

Hi @Richard_F 

Outlook has probably corrupted your email data.

What you do is see if you can backup your email messages that aren't on the server because otherwise you may lose them in the next steps.

• Remove the email account from Outlook
  • Reboot the computer
  • Add the email account afresh

Let us know how you get on.

Email settings - IMAP or POP3 

0 Likes