email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook for Android sending new emails to Drafts

Steve H2
First Timer
Message 11 of 11

My wife and I each have Samsung Android smartphones both of which have up to date operating software and fresh installs of Outlook for Android.  Both phones will receive emails by IMAP from our respective TalkTalk email addresses but when you want to send the email it goes to Drafts and will not send at all.  All the various email folders are visible and complete.

We both have Outlook on our PCs and there is no problem as things sync nicely.

Any idea what the problem might be?  I have double checked the setup fields and all are OK

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Tell us how Microsoft have responded to your complaints. Have they confirmed why Outlook for mobile does not make a direct connection to the TalkTalk outgoing SMTP server? 

Use a different mobile app like BlueMail to see how easy it is to design an app that auto-detects the correct settings for TalkTalk Mail just by entering the talktalk.net email address and password.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution

CHA55
Participant
Message 2 of 11

I have the same problem on 4 Android devices and 2 talktalk email addresses. It works fine with all other email providers only talk talk. Outlook on win10 works fine with talktalk. I have complained about this for years

0 Likes

Message 3 of 11

Steve let us know how you get on with Gondola's advice.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 11

Hi Steve

Just to say for the IMAP incoming mail server both mail.talktalk.net and imap.talktalk.net are accepted. 

Some clients will automatically set up an IMAP email account's host name prefixing the email domain with imap. Using that host name is also a reminder that the account is set up for IMAP connection.

Message 5 of 11

Hi Gondola and Ady,

I set up the Gmail account but initially it would not set up as it did not like the TalkTalk security settings - and then it did.  I have sent a test email from my TalkTalk mail from within Gmail and it was delivered. 

My TalkTalk email folders are appearing and the emails within them are downloading.  In Gondola instructions you said to use imap.talktalk.net but the TalkTalk website says to use mail.talktalk.net.  Does it matter which is used?  I used mail.talktalk.net.

I prefer to use Outlook and my original query remains in how can I change outlook smtp to the correct port 587.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Steve

0 Likes

Message 6 of 11

Hi Steve H2, please let us know that everything is working normally again.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 11

Hi Steve

The mail system fault was resolved at around 11.30 so you should be fully back in action with TalkTalk Mail.

Message 8 of 11

Hi Steve

TalkTalk doesn't use port 465 only 587 for the outgoing connection security.

If Outlook for Android isn't allowing you to use port 587 for outgoing mail or use a password with @ in the password (I'm sure I have tested that symbol character in the past and would know if it didn't work) then use the GMail app if only as a test to prove you can get the setup to work.

However, don't try right now because there's a systems issue.

There's a problem with email. The incident is being worked on and you can track it on the Service Status (Email) page. 

Message 9 of 11

Thanks for the info. Another problem is that Outlook keeps signing me out and I have to sign back in.  When doing so I saw that the smtp was 465 but should be 587.  The setting screen lets me put in the password but will not allow me to alter anything else.  How can I alter the smtp number?

On another blog someone said Outlook for Android does not like special characters eg @ in the password and this can screw up the setup.  Mine does have special characters.  Is this correct?

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S7 on Android version 8.0.0

I look forward to hearing from you again.

Steve

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 10 of 11

Hi Steve

Feels like Outlook for Android isn't connecting to the outgoing SMTP server.  Presumably no error messages on sending or you'd have said?

Take a screenshot of the Advanced Settings, image edit to obscure the first part of the email address and upload here and I'll take a look.

The advanced settings for Outlook for Android are pretty straightforward as SSL is automatically configured.

Set up an IMAP account in Outlook for Android

• In Outlook for Android, go to Settings > Add Account > Add Email Account.

• Enter email address. Tap Continue. When asked to select an email provider, choose IMAP.

• Toggle Advanced settings on and enter your password and server settings.

Account Type  IMAP
Email Address Your talktalk email address
Password Your talktalk email password
Incoming mail server imap.talktalk.net
Incoming Port 993
Incoming Security SSL is enabled by default
Outgoing SMTP server smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Security SSL is enabled by default
SMTP Username Your talktalk email address
SMTP Password Your talktalk email password

The Email address / SMTP Username is your full talktalk.net email address.

To troubleshoot, set up one of the talktalk.net mail addresses on the Gmail app as a cross-check for sending mail. 

The gMail app usually sets up fairly easily although the manual settings do need checking. The app verifies the incoming and outgoing server settings so you know if the setup for both receiving and sending mail is good.

When starting to Add the email account to the Gmail app:

• You select Other and Enter your email address and NEXT
  • Select Personal (IMAP) account and NEXT
  • Enter the password

These are the Incoming and Outgoing server settings for the TalkTalk.net email account. You'll probably need to edit the mail server names to make sure the incoming server is prefixed by imap. and the outgoing server is prefixed by smtp.

Account Type  IMAP (recommended)
Username Your talktalk email address
Password Your talktalk email password
Incoming mail server imap.talktalk.net
Incoming Port 993
Incoming Security Type SSL/TLS
Outgoing SMTP server smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Security Type STARTTLS
Require sign-in Yes

Let us know if that's good.