email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook stopped sending emails on one account - keeps prompting for smtp password / server error

agzol
Team Player
Message 14 of 14

As usual, I haven't changed anything on my (Windows10) outlook client and it then I keep getting prompts to re-enter the smtp password. It was working fine this morning and then the problem started.

It happens on all my talktalk accounts. 

Now its reporting a server error

Help!

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Hi azgol, thanks for taking the time to post back to let us know its sorted. Its incredibly common that the data files in outlook need fixing. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 14

Good to know the Repair tool identified data corruption in the PST file(s). Thanks for confirming.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

agzol
Team Player
Message 3 of 14

When I started outlook this morning, some of yesterday's test emails came through ! Then tried to send and it appears OK.

Point of interest - the sending and receiving appears to be much faster today.

As a precaution I ran SCANPST (MS tool) on each datafile - each needed "fixing".

Where was the problem ......   bit of a mystery

Message 4 of 14

I run Thunderbird, the Mozilla designed email client, in parallel with TalkTalk Mail webmail and that's continued to sync incoming and outgoing mail messages perfectly well.  I'm not seeing any issue with the mail servers.

Outlook is prone to getting the profile data corrupted from time to time, particularly if the Outlook file has become large. The fix is to either run a repair or to save any wanted emails that are downloaded and not on the server and then delete the account from Outlook and set up afresh. 

agzol
Team Player
Message 5 of 14

Still no joy. Now I can't even log on to the incoming mail server.

Are you sure that the TALKTALK server config hasn't been changed???

It's always a right pain when there are issues relating to outlook as TT are rel;uctant to say if there's a server issue.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

If you get a recurrence of the issue I find Outlook is more reliable if you untick the 'Use same settings as my incoming mail server' and tick the 'Log on using user name and password' The user name being the full email address and password is the email's password.

agzol
Team Player
Message 7 of 14

settingssettings

0 Likes

Message 8 of 14

You have been helped by the Community MagicianYou have been helped by the Community Magician

0 Likes

agzol
Team Player
Message 9 of 14

Well, magically it's working again. I checked the settings which were exactly as your config.

BTW I'm using Microsoft 365 V2206

Regards

Message 10 of 14

Is the Outlook version 2013 or newer?

• Open Outlook and select Tools
  • Account Settings
  • Select the email account
  • Go to More Settings
  • Select the Advanced tab
  • Ensure the SMTP Port number is set as 587 for the Outgoing SMTP Server and encryption is STARTTLS
  • Ensure that the 'My Outgoing Server requires Authentication' option under the Outgoing Server tab in More Settings, is ticked

Any problems take a screenshot of the tabs, image edit to obscure the first part of your email address and upload here using the Camera icon above the Reply area.

agzol
Team Player
Message 11 of 14

So, initially I was getting the password prompt.

I tried a different profile but that's the same

Now I get the error code  0x80042109  cannoty connect to smtp server

I usually suspect a server settings / config issue

0 Likes

agzol
Team Player
Message 12 of 14

error code 0x80042109  cannoty connect to smtp server

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 13 of 14

Hi agzol 

What's the server error? There's a description and a TT error code if the error is being reported by the TalkTalk Mail server.

0 Likes