email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook via Tiscali..cannot log onto Incoming IMAP server....

Robert Lear
Team Player
Message 11 of 11

For some weeks I haven't been receiving Outlook emails on my HP PC. They have been coming through on Laptop, IPAD and Samsung phone OK. I have un installed email and tried to re install, however it cannot re install as the attached warning comes up... we couldn't log on to the incoming (IMAP) server. Please check your email address and password and try again... Obviously I put in the correct email address. The password which I identified via some method was strange in that it wasn't the one I had recorded but I haven't changed it recently. 

I un installed and re installed an associated (identical but for the email address) email and it worked, all set up again. So why won't my email connect? 
Please advise.
Thanks

ROB

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Hi Rob, thanks for posting back to let Gondola and the rest of us know it's sorted.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 11

You're welcome.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 3 of 11

Thanks Gondola, yes I did my wife's as prompted but now have updated my reset details which were out of date.

I'll sign off now and come back if any other issues occur.

Well done you and thanks 👋

Stay safe 

ROB

Message 4 of 11

Hi Robert Lear 

Excellent. Looks like your wife has access on multiple devices so all good.

Just a tip to make sure everything stays good and she does have password recovery options is to check via the TalkTalk Mail webmail sign in that password recovery is set up with an accessible alternative email address and mobile phone number. 

Menu options - Update your reset details 05Aug2020

Update your reset details is a menu item on the main settings menu - triple line icon on a desktop browser or cog icon on a mobile browser.

Message 5 of 11

Many thanks Gondola. Followed your instructions and updated wife's Talk Talk webmail which I cannot ever remember going into as we always use Outlook. All that works though I haven't sent one yet from it/to it but will later. So we have established she has an active Talk Talk Webmail and legitimate email address which we suspected was OK anyway.

Unless the next step to get Outlook to work is as easy I may not bother with setting up on this PC. She isn't that bothered and she has access to her emails via Laptop, Phone and IPAD and we both have access via her Talk Talk webmail. The last thing I want is to then *@#][!![]'#[@#]!* up her ability to get emails at all.

Would appreciate your thoughts, however, thank you very much for your interest, patience and clear help. Very much appreciated.

Cheers ROB

0 Likes

Message 6 of 11

Hi Robert Lear 

The clue that Community notification emails are just an outgoing notification of a reply here in Community is that the local part of the address is 'no-reply'.

Is your wife's email address mailbox added to the TalkTalk customer MyAccount?  Sign in to MyAccount and select My Services and Manage TalkTalk Mail.

Manage TalkTalk Mail in MyAccount - My Services Menu.png

If your wife's tiscali email address is active on the TalkTalk Mail platform then you will be able to sign in to TalkTalk Mail using an Internet browser.

Enter the email address at the verifalia website, complete the reCAPTCHA and select Verify to see if the first reponse is 'Deliverable' to prove that the mailbox is active.  Let us know if the response is anything else.

You can have only one active TalkTalk Mail session so, if necessary, sign out of your mailbox using the sign out icon top right header bar and then sign in to your wife's mailbox.

Enter your wife's email address, select Continue.

Enter your wife's email password, select Sign in.

If the sign in fails with an error, let us know what that error message is.

If a sign in is not recognised for an active email address then you'll then need to change your wife's email password using the Forgotten password button and preferably using the mobile phone recovery number - assuming that password reset options have been set up.

Let us know what the error message is at any point in this process or if the only password reset option is a reset sent to the email account itself.

Message 7 of 11

Thanks Ady, not working, please see reply.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 11

I now notice that I can't reply directly to your email, and yet it was not rejected as an email, allowing me . So I thought you had received the following 2 emails which I have condensed into one.....

Email 1 yesterday.....Hi Gondola, many thanks for your swift and comprehensive reply.

To avoid confusion, it is my wife’s email I’m trying to recover, mine is fine and I can find it on Talk Talk webmail. (My slight deception was because I didn’t want anyone querying why I was sorting my wife’s email account. She has no interest in IT so such things are left to me!!).

That said, I can never see her email account on Talk Talk webmail so cannot investigate. Would she have to log in to it separately (she/we never have) or as it is ‘associated’ with my email is there a ‘switch’ tab I’ve missed on my Talk Talk webmail? So, until I fathom this bit out I cannot log in to hers. Advice please.

I looked at her settings in Outlook v mine and they were identical, just that for some reason hers will not connect as previously stated.

Thanks for the settings below when we get there. ‘normal password’ means enter the password that was already pre populated on the old account (despite me not recognising it)?  

Email 2 today

Good morning, further to reply. Still not working.

As I say my account is fine, I went into Webmail sent email, came across all fine for my email account.

I cannot find my wife’s email on webmail. Never could even before I removed it yesterday, can you advise please?.

Attempted to add her old email address, this morning but same error message appears. I’ve tried adding her account via the Outlook – File- add account and via the Account settings - add account.

The screens I see do not match the ‘setting headings’ you showed in your reply. Similar, but different, am I trying to add the account in the right way?

The password on her account as I said is similar to hers (that I recorded) but not what I would expect (and no she hasn’t changed it). If this password is wrong (does it need letters + numbers etc?) would the same error message appear or would it come up with say …’password does not match….’ So is it a password problem or just not ..... logging onto the incoming IMAP... 

I’m OK to try other passwords but don’t wish to be blocked. How many attempts do I get?

Can you help?

Many thanks

0 Likes

Message 9 of 11

Hi Rob, follow Gondola's advice and you won't go far wrong. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Gondola
Community Star
Message 10 of 11

Hi @Robert Lear 

First step in troubleshooting is to check the sign in to webmail works and the mailbox is working as expected. Then you'll know for sure the correct password because it's the same for webmail as Outlook and Samsung etc.

Enter your tiscali email address, select Continue.

Enter your tiscali email password, select Sign in.

Let us know if there's a sign in error message.  If signed in ok then compose and send the same mailbox a mail message. Check that the message sends without error, is copied into the Sent objects folder and arrives and stays in the Inbox.

Let us know of any send error message, or if mail does not arrive in the Inbox or disappears from the Inbox.

The tiscali IMAP email settings you need for Outlook are:

Account Type  IMAP
Username username@tiscali.co.uk
Password Yes
IMAP mail server host imap.tiscali.co.uk
Incoming Port 993
Incoming Encryption Type SSL/TLS
Authentication method Normal Password
SMTP mail server host smtp.tiscali.co.uk
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Encryption Type STARTTLS
Authentication method Normal Password
My outgoing SMTP server requires authentication Yes

Best to use the email address and password for the outgoing SMTP server rather than tick the box to use same settings as the incoming server.

If asked to accept a talktalk certificate the answer is yes / accept.

Are the settings different to what you had originally?