email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook won't connect to server

bharesc
Chatterbox
Message 12 of 12

Today i lost the ability to send or receive emails using outlook. I have a PC, a laptop and a mobile phone all of which won't connect to the server. I have not changed any setting on any of the computers. 

Strangely my wife's account still works. We have the same settings apart from email address and password.

I'm using POP3

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

Hi bharesc, thanks for taking the time to post back and let us know it's sorted. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 12
I don't use IMAP as i have multiple device on which i email and as i understand it once i have opened an email on one device it disappears from the server. I like to have them all on my PC and delete them fromthe server from there. Am I correct?

This is in fact exactly the opposite way to how things work. Unless the specific option is selected a POP account will delete items from the server when they are downloaded. Then they can't be accessed from another device. When the option is selected NOT to delete from server, they are left there for ever, or for a specific time if that is selected. The deletion of the downloaded item on the PC does NOT then delete from the server. My wife operates her account with POP, (since long before the invention of IMAP), and every so often, when she has accidentally deleted something important from the Outlook version she will ask me to help her log on to web mail to retrieve it from the server! All her deleted emails are still there!

On the other hand IMAP always holds the messages on the server, and they can be accessed from multiple devices. I access my email from my PC with Outlook and from my Samsung phone, (both set up for IMAP) and I have indeed used the feature @Gondola mentioned, that an item which I sent from the PC can be seen in the Sent folder on the server using the phone.

When messages are deleted using Outlook with an IMAP connected account they are deleted on the server, or at least moved to the Trash folder, which may or may not be emptied when Outlook is closed, depending on option selected.

Retired the 11 years old Dell, new one is an Inspiron 3881 running Windows 10 and a Qualcomm QCA9377 Wireless Network Adapter with Sagemcom FAST 5364 router.

Message 3 of 12

OK, good to know it was just a password issue at the heart of the problem.

IMAP email accounts connect to the online mailbox and all such connected devices simply mirror what's online. All such devices can interact with all folders online. When a device sends mail that sent mail is uploaded to the online Sent objects folder and is therefore available to all other devices.

A POP3 email account interacts with the online Inbox only. Each POP3 device downloads mail from the Inbox. This is why you have the setting to leave a copy of the downloaded mail on the server so that the other devices can download from the Inbox.  Any sent mail messages resides just on the device that sends them.

I do recommend you upgrade the PC email account settings as the current settings are insecure.  Insecure settings allow mail, including the mailbox password, to be openly read if intercepted between your device and the mail server.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

bharesc
Chatterbox
Message 4 of 12

Silly me!

I had been calling TalkTalk to upgrade my broadband to fibre but the hold timeswere too long so i thought I'd do it online. I couldn't remember the password so renewed it.

It must be this that cocked the email up and hence why my wife's wasn't affected.

I've changed the email password on my laptop and all is well. I'll now do it on my other devices.

Thanks for all your help.

I don't use IMAP as i have multiple device on which i email and as i understand it once i have opened an email on one device it disappears from the server. I like to have them all on my PC and delete them fromthe server from there. Am I correct?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 12

That's good to know. Have you been able to set up the PC with the exact same settings as the laptop?

bharesc
Chatterbox
Message 6 of 12

Yes. I am a TalkkTalk broadband customer.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 12

Hi bharesc, I see you've a couple of other knowledgeable members helping you get to the bottom of this. They'll let me know if you need more help than they can give. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 8 of 12

The advice to verify your password by logging into the TalkTalk web mail interface is good. Sometimes the saved password in Outlook can get corrupted. The settings on your PC, while insecure and obsolete will still work ONLY if you are a TT broadband customer and the PC is connected to that service.

The settings for your laptop are better because they will work even when you connect it to the Internet using someone else's broadband.

Another thing I do sometimes is use Telnet to log on to the POP server, but that's getting a bit technical.

Retired the 11 years old Dell, new one is an Inspiron 3881 running Windows 10 and a Qualcomm QCA9377 Wireless Network Adapter with Sagemcom FAST 5364 router.

Message 9 of 12

Hi bharesc 

Are you a TalkTalk Consumer home broadband or MailPlus mail only customer? Is the email address for your TalkTalk managed mailbox added to an active customer MyAccount?

I've asked the above question to ensure there's no restriction to webmail only access.

The laptop has the correct settings for a POP3 email account. If you wish your devices to stay with POP3 communication rather than the recommended IMAP then set up the PC with the exact same settings as the laptop.

Message 10 of 12

Thanks for the reply.

On TalkTalk mail I can send and receive mail.

When I go to outlook and and check for mail i get the request to sign in.

bharesc_4-1607502363056.png

The user name is my email address.

That is then followed by this error message.

bharesc_12-1607504061029.png

I've checked on my PC and that sends but wont receive.

These are the advanced settings on my laptop, this machine.

bharesc_13-1607504219518.png

On my Pc they are

Incoming server 110

Does not require encryption

Outgoing server 25

Use the following type of encrypted connection none

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 11 of 12

Hi @bharesc 

Do you get any error message from Outlook?

Are you a TalkTalk Consumer home broadband or MailPlus mail only customer?  Is the email address for your TalkTalk managed mailbox added to an active customer MyAccount?

Enter your email address, select Continue.

Enter your email password, select Sign in.

Let us know if you can sign in ok.

If you can then compose and send the same mailbox a mail message. Check that the message sends without error, is copied into the Sent objects folder and arrives and stays in the Inbox.

Let us know of any error message, or if mail does not arrive in the Inbox or disappears from the Inbox.