email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POP3 mail password authentication fails and/or connection times out

TechSerf
Popular Poster
Message 27 of 27

Since early last week (around 10May21), out of the blue I could no longer receive email via POP3 for one of my @Tiscali.co.uk accounts. I've since changed the server/settings from

pop.tiscali.co.uk to what seems to be TalkTalk's recommendation for POP3 (https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Email-settings-IMAP-amp-POP3/ta-p/2204399) - mail.talktalk.net, port 995,STARTTLS, normal password, but that didn't get the mail. I've tried all manner of tweaks to various settings and logs, I've become more knowledgeable about POP, STARTTLS, SSL/TLS, but nothing works.

Using mail.talktalk.net port 995 & STARTTLS as recommended by TalkTalk for POP3, the client connection just times out after about 30 seconds (Win8.1/Thunderbird68). Using 995 & SSL/TLS the client reports: "Sending of password for user xxx did not succeed. Mail server mail.talktalk.net reponded: Authentication failed."

I can send mail OK for the same mail account (using smtp.talktalk.net,587,STARTTLS) and can login to webmail OK, so the password is correct. I can get POP email from the mail.talktalk.net server for another talktalk account (using 995 & SSL/TLS or 110 & STARTTLS, though recommended 995 & STARTTLS just times out) so client-server communication must be working.

The account is on my list of emails in TalkTalk MyAccount, which is current. I don't want to use IMAP for this account, and I don't want to drop authentication altogether. I suspect something wrong with TalkTalk's POP service for @Tiscali.co.uk.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
26 REPLIES 26

Message 1 of 27

You're welcome. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 27

I think it would be useful to emphasize in future that changing password using <forgotten your password> from the webmail login screen does something subtly different to "change password" from the <Manage email> page of My Account.  

Perhaps brief text on the <Manage email> page to say that if <change password> does not resolve login issues for your email app, then "resetting" the password by clicking on <forgotten your password> in the webmail login page (even if you haven't forgotten it) may work, along with a message that <settings, reset details> should be set first, and the new password will need to be entered in your email app.

Thanks again to you and Gondola for your time on this.  You can mark it as solved.

Message 3 of 27

Thanks for posting back to let us know that resetting the password using the password reset tool sorted the problem for you. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 27

Thanks for suggestions, I've found the solution, for now at least.

A RESET of the password via the "Forgotten your password?" link on the webmail login page seems to have solved the problem. (Warning: This requires the reset password contact details to have been previously set for the offending email account, for example via <login to webmail, settings, update your reset details>).

Once the password had been successfully reset, the original POP server settings and the new recommended server settings both worked.

A "Change Password" from My Account, Manage Email, DOES NOT have the same effect. This didn't solve the problem in my case. I could still login to webmail with the new password, but still couldn't login with the new password via email client (Thunderbird in my case).

The timeouts I had initially on trying to use the new TalkTalk mail server mail.talktalk.net were because it MUST have connection security TLS (ie SSL/TLS in Thunderbird), not STARTTLS that previous Tiscali server used (the TalkTalk help page was not explicit about that, but Gondola was, in earlier post).  The new servers won't connect on ports 993/995 with STARTTLS.

The issue of mail client (Thunderbird in my case, but I suspect it would apply to any client) reporting password not authorized, occurring out of the blue, while still able to login to webmail with the same password, is down to TalkTalk.  Perhaps some internal TalkTalk error, or perhaps some kind of unpublicized lockout caused by attempts by someone else to hack in to the email account with multiple password attempts via the POP/IMAP servers.  Not such a bad thing, but some kind of message to let me know would be useful. A lockout which is NOT cleared by simply changing the password, does not prevent webmail login, but is apparently cleared by a password reset.

I had a brief panic while following the "forgotten password" reset route... the reset email didn't appear in the relevant inbox after a few minutes, so I pressed "send again".  Then I noticed a message in the Spam folder, timed just after the first request.  I know, the webpage advised looking in Spam, but I had overlooked that.  No further message appeared in response to the "send again" request, so I used the first message.  The reset link had a line through it as if crossed out, but I followed it anyway and the reset appeared to be successful.  However, I couldn't log in to webmail or POP with the new password. Panic! I gave it a few minutes, and still couldn't login.  So I tried "forgotten password" reset again with yet another secure password, again apparently successful, this time the new password worked for both webmail and POP Server (despite the link in the email also being crossed out).  Success!  When looking at email accounts later, I saw that the "send again" had sent an email to a different mailbox to the one I originally requested.  I suspect that second reset request locked out the password set with the first reset request, with the third request being successful.  If so, it means that a malicious person could lock someone else out of their email altogether by requesting a password reset on their email address.  A drawback of the recent practice of using email addresses as user names.  A user would have to follow the "forgotten password" route to restore access.  I don't know how that would be done if the "reset details" within the email account haven't been set.

Message 5 of 27

Server Type:  POP Mail Server

Server Name: mail.talktalk.net

Port: 995

Connection Security: SSL/TLS

Authentication Method: Normal Password

The password also fails to authenticate on IMAP Port 993, but works fine for webmail.  I've set these exact same settings for other email addresses I have with TalkTalk, and they work fine. 

At Gondola's suggestion I already changed the password from Manage Mail within My Account.  The situation remained the same.  As you can see from the preceding thread, I am not using a saved password, I am entering each time.

Does resetting the password from "Forgotten your password?" on the webmail login screen do something different from changing it in My Account? 

I haven't forgotten the password, so slightly reluctant to "reset"... I do have an alternative 'reset' email address set up in webmail, but what if I lose access to the email address altogether, since there is obviously something odd happening with this account, which worked fine up until a couple of weeks ago and nothing changed on my end?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 27

Hi Techserf, your mailbox is in full service. Have you done a password reset using the password reset tool?

Please provide your full current settings excluding the email address.

Ady

0 Likes

Message 7 of 27
OK, I've added information to my profile, and will wait to see what happens. I have to say this seems a rather roundabout way of communicating with TalkTalk. I guess they're using the community (and you in particular!) as a filter for technical queries.
0 Likes

Message 8 of 27

This topic appears in the TalkTalk workflow so OCE_Ady will see your posts.

Your personal information in your Community profile can also be picked up by OCE_Ady to verify the details. This information (excluding posts signature box and Community Bio that are both public domain) is for your eyes only and the limited authorised TT Staff like OCE_Ady that are cleared to view the personal data.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 9 of 27
But how can I contact TalkTalk? From My Account, there are no phone numbers, email addresses to contact, no pop-up chat boxes.

Looking at replies you've made to others, should I assume that personal information entered in the Profile is somehow used by someone on this Community website? Who? How are they alerted to it? Community private messages? This is another thread but posting here for continuity.
0 Likes

Message 10 of 27

As I mentioned, TalkTalk can check to see if your mailbox has been restricted to webmail only access.

Message 11 of 27

My email client is communicating with the TalkTalk server but the server doesn't accept the password for this particular email account, which I know to be correct (can login to webmail with no problem).  The reported error is not failure to connect, or unknown username, it is failure to authorise password.  Also, I can get messages from my other email accounts.  So I don't think certificates can be the issue.

I tried disabling email virus protection, and tried an IMAP connection, and the error is the same.

I strongly suspect some flag set by TalkTalk on this particular email account is restricting client software access while allowing webmail, but I can't find any way to contact TalkTalk to confirm or reject this idea.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 27

Hi TechSerf, has Gondola helped you get this sorted? 

If you need more help, please let us know. 

Ady

0 Likes

Message 13 of 27

If the computer is a Windows 8.1 or later device then add the tiscali email account to Windows Mail.  Just to see how that performs.

Below are the Windows Mail settings. For the tiscali pop3 account the incoming mail server is:

mail.talktalk.net:995:1

Windows Mail server settings talktalk.net

If this works it will prove that Thunderbird is storing the wrong data for the server certificate. In which case removing the email account from Thunderbird, exiting Thunderbird, relaunching and re-adding the email address with the recommended settings given in this thread should get you back in action.

TalkTalk can check from Monday onwards to see if your mailbox has been restricted to webmail only access.

To link this topic to your TalkTalk service please check your Community Profile includes in Personal Information (Click here):

Your name, current TalkTalk landline 'phone and alternate number (mobile preferred). Add full address with postcode (location). Then scroll down to Private notes to add the problem tiscali email address, notes and references etc and then save changes.

Message 14 of 27

Thanks again for your time on this. 

* I changed the password using My Account... can still login to webmail (phew!), but situation with Thunderbird68 POP3 download unchanged, even after allowing an hour or so for change to permeate TalkTalk network.

* I added another (pre-existing) Tiscali.co.uk account to Thunderbird68 using recommended POP3 settings... login and download worked fine.

* Installed fresh latest version of Thunderbird, with server details from scratch... exactly the same error for the problem tiscali account.

A process of elimination indicates that TalkTalk is preventing POP3 access to one of my tiscali email accounts (as if it weren't registered to a current TalkTalk customer even though it appears in My Account?). 

How best can I communicate with someone at TalkTalk who will actually understand/believe the issue and be able to check and do something about it? 

0 Likes

Message 15 of 27

Hi TechSerf 

I was confident that you didn't have a space in the email address as that's not permitted by the email specification and if you'd keyed it inadvertently then Thunderbird would issue a message about changing the email address and account name so you'd be alerted.

Having tried to emulate the situation I'm not able to reproduce the authentication error only a login error either via the tiscali or talktalk server host names.

So, assuming the mailbox hasn't been restricted what I suggest to overcome the authentication issue is to change the password.

Use the Forgotten password button in the help page Changing your email password and if you don't see an error message you'll be taken to the password reset options.  Successfully changing the password will update the password on both the TalkTalk login authentication and on the platform so preventing an authentication issue if those don't match.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 27
Thunderbird message is: "Sending of password for user xxx did not succeed. Mail server mail.talktalk.net responded: Authentication failed."

The space in User Name in my screenshot is purely down to my messy image editing. Good to see someone spotted it, could be critical! Unfortunately, the user name I am actually entering is definitely the email address, with all characters correct and no spurious characters.

Message 17 of 27

Reference post 9 @TechSerf, is this a spurious space ................

TalkTalk POP Server Setting 20210520e2.gif

.............. or has it been introduced as a result of your editing?

~R.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 27

You've now shown a screenshot and I can see that the port setting isn't greyed out and in fact the settings shown are all good. 

And you've confirmed another mail account works perfectly well with those settings. 

Are you able to screenshot or replicate the error message here for the failing account when you Get Messages? 

0 Likes

Message 19 of 27

TalkTalk POP Server Setting 20210520e2.jpg

As per previous comments, I am not using stored passwords. I am not using auto-configuration.  Webmail works and Thunderbird can send mail from this account and password, and can receive mail with these settings for another of my registered email accounts without trouble (with the User name and password changed to that account, obviously).

Thanks for your suggestions today. I'm going to take a break now... perhaps it will fix itself tomorrow. Over the years I've had issues like this before with TalkTalk, but they usually fix themselves within a few hours or days rather than weeks.  Maybe I'll get lucky tomorrow!

0 Likes

Message 20 of 27

I've never been aware of the port setting being greyed out. So that rings a warning bell of something not quite right with the Thunderbird software.  Maybe the auto-configuration is managing the settings?

The Username must be the full tiscali email address. And the password presented by Thunderbird when collecting mail must be current.

Is the password stored by Thunderbird the current password for the tiscali email address?

0 Likes