Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Pipex - Emails Not Sending

66 REPLIES 66
PipexUser60
Popular Poster

I have been having the above problem intermittently for the last month and also on odd occasions previously. Some emails are sent successfully, others I get an undelivered message from one or more recipients 'Maximum Retry Queue Age Reached'. I have tried explaining the issue using Chat several times but got nowhere. I'm using Mail on an iMac and have checked the mailbox settings. 

Examples

Sent a message on 10 June to 9 recipients, got an undelivered message from one of them 'Maximum Retry Queue Age Reached'.

Sent a message on 13 June to 1 recipient (also included in the message on 10 June but then apparently successfully delivered), got an undelivered message 'Maximum Retry Queue Age Reached'. 

The problem has occurred with emails sent to the following domains, me.com, icloud.com, rrd.com, outlook.com, hotmail.com and yahoo.com. Other emails to recipients with these domains have been received successfully.

CrazyOtto
Participant

I've been having the same problem for several weeks.  Messages sent from my dial.pipex.com account to yahoo addresses are not arriving.  Sometimes I get message delivery failure messages, sometimes not.

pbar100
Enlightened One

Looks like more and more users and now aware of this issue and reporting similar problems, does this not add any weight to having it fixed at last?

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi all, thanks for posting. I've been raising individual tickets for these, but now we've got enough of you I've raised this to the business as a potential incident. I'll keep you posted with progress as I get updates. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

PipexUser60
Popular Poster

Hi Ady,

I am still having problems. Sent just 1 email yesterday to a gmail.com domain. Another 'Maximum Retry Queue Age Reached' message received this morning.

Can you please give members affected an update on what TalkTalk are doing to resolve this issue. 

OCE_Ady

Hi all, apparently the fix that's been put in place will affect some accounts immediately others could take a couple more days for the fix to take effect. I've got no idea what the fix is so can't advise why it's affecting some accounts now and others later.

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

PipexUser60
Popular Poster

Ady,

I have had two more 'Maximum Retry Queue Age Reached' notifications this morning for messages sent yesterday to sky.com and yahoo.co.uk domains.

I know you are doing your best but I'm getting increasingly fed up with the poor service and it is shocking the issue is still unresolved after all this time.

OCE_Ady

Ok, I've had an update. The fix that was put in place did fix some of the problems however, there remains the issue of one server being blacklisted. They're on with getting that sorted. I haven't been given timescale, but it seems there's a possible means of sending the mail while our reputation is improved. 

I know you'll all want to know what's been causing this problem. Well it's compromised accounts again. We've had too many users with weak passwords that are compromised and then used to spam. This is despite all the efforts we've made to get customers to change passwords to be more secure. 

pbar100
Enlightened One

So you are blaming your customer base for the TalkTalk (Pipex) faulty service.

Well, ok, very unusual tactic,

But thanks for the update anyway.

OCE_Ady

It's incredibly common. Most of the time an ISP is blocked is due to spam. On the old legacy system there are lots and by that I mean 1000's of mailboxes with weak passwords. We block them as soon as we see activity, but it's not always soon enough to stop the blacklisting. However, as I said this is only part of the problem. 

ThamesLink
First Timer

Userid of the form username@dsl.pipex.com, outgoing mail server smtp.dsl.pipex.com. Emails sent working fine for many years but now have been having problems with 'undeliverable code 554' and 'max retries' rejection. Main problem now is seem to be sending but the email ending up in the recipient's JUNK box, ie being coded as spam. Problem with the Pipex Server?? Come on TalkTalk sort these things out, this is having a very serious impact on users! Updates please.    

OCE_Ady

Hi ThamesLink, please see my last 2 posts. 

pbar100
Enlightened One

Still sending test mails to sky addresses, still failing. I tend to get a bounce back message the day after, the usual 13.9 hours timeout.

BandS1
First Timer

My wife and I (on separate PCs and Pipex email addresses) have been having the same problem for two or three weeks. ISPs that commonly fail are sky.com, aol.com, live.com and others.

It seems, from the previous posts, that weak passwords have been an issue. Is this other people's passwords, from way back, or is it our own passwords that could be the problem?  Although we're using our old Pipex addresses, we have moved on to a different ISP (BT, in our case) and all has been well for several years, until now. As a consequence, we don't have TalkTalk accounts any longer, and wouldn't have access to be able to change our passwords to something more secure, if that were the advice you seem to be giving.

Can you clarify?

OCE_Ady

Hi BandSI, it's other peoples often accounts that are rarely if ever used. If you're account was being used by a spammer you'd be seeing lots of mails giving bounce back messages for messages that you'd not sent.

BandS1
First Timer

OK, thanks, that's reassuring.

So, what chance is there that this issue will soon be resolved? The last thing we want to do is change our email addresses, but if it continues to be quite unpredictable whether or not an email will get through, we may have to do so. If we could feel certain that the problem will be corrected very soon, that would be great!

pbar100
Enlightened One

Anyone know why the TalkTalk status page shows no current e-mail problems, yet this problem of some mails just not being delivered still remains?

OCE_Ady

That's a good point I've asked the question for you.

pbar100
Enlightened One

What was the answer to this, I assume they just ignored you yet again?

OCE_Ady

No they confirmed that they'd escalated it for me. I'm expecting a statement on the incident later as I'm harrassing the team who are managing it.