email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipex POP Email Problems Again

Muddymedic
Super Duper Contributor
Message 13 of 13

Hi  Anyone else having issues with Pipex POP email again this afternoon?  It's very slow to load anything into my Inbox, and I'm getting the 'usual' crop of error messages.  Webmail appears to be unaffected.  Happy Easter!

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

You're always welcome.

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Hi Ady,

I believe it’s difficult for the layperson to fully understand the mechanics of this issue, I for one still remained somewhat confused about the whole subject.

If as you say it’s due to numerous login attempts then why does it only affect the POP side, don’t you have to login to “send” as well, or is that down to the fact whoever is orchestrating this event only seems to concentrate on the one element.

As I say, it’s all a bit confusing.

Anyhow, as ever, thanks for your ongoing efforts and do you have the magic day yet when Pipex customers will also benefit from this switch over.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 13

Hi WearyCustomer, I've repeatedly written about the problem and it's cause. This will occur almost weekly until Pipex mailboxes are migrated onto the new platform. The problem is lots of unauthorised IP addresses attempting to login which leads to an excess of logins meaning that the servers are swamped and can't accept the genuine connections. This gives the intermittent access issue. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 13

I suppose you could say it's sorted in that all my Pipex email accounts aren't down at the same time.  But I'm still getting intermittent connection failures; the last ones about five minutes ago. One error message was:

"The mail server denied access to the account “######” because an administrator or other mail client was using it when Mail tried to log in. Try again later.

The server returned the error: Temporary authentication failure."

That's a bit worrying, because there's no-one else trying to access my email account with my permission.  

The other was the usual 'connection to the server "pop.dsl.pipex.com" timed out'

The trouble is, we never hear what the problem is, and then come the next bank holiday or weekend, it happens again.

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 13

Thanks for posting back to let us know it's sorted.

0 Likes

SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor
Message 6 of 13

@Ady-TalkTalk 

Hi Ady, can’t speak for others but because posts have quietened down believe we are all getting better service at the moment.

I certainly noticed a sudden improvement the other evening as posted in the other discussion, just wish the level of service could be maintained because it makes a real user difference, things are just so much more snappier and stress free.

Just don’t understand these ups and downs and why DDoS attacks which are “Outgoing” events affect an Incoming (POP) server, strangely enough never had these issues with the (Outgoing) SMTP server!

ps. Sorry had to edit that last bit, got it a little mixed up.

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 7 of 13

Hi all, I'd expect you're all working normally again now. If not please let me know. 

0 Likes

SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor
Message 8 of 13

@Chris-TalkTalk 

Sorry Chris but didn't see your post till tonight but with respect to your question, things have improved markedly.

This is the discussion though regarding the latest POP server problems so you may want to have a read.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Email-Webmail/No-Pipex-Email-Access-at-All-This-Afternon/m-p/234...

0 Likes

Message 9 of 13

Hi,

Sorry to hear you've been experiencing problems with your email service, how has it been over the last couple of days, are you still experiencing issues?

Chris

0 Likes

WearyCustomer
Conversation Starter
Message 10 of 13

Yes, same old delays and error messages.  Connection to the POP server timed out.  Do you reckon everyone at TalkTalk packs up and goes home over Bank Holidays?  I'll stick my neck out and make 2 predictions. (1) It won't be working again until Tuesday. (2) It'll be down again in a fortnight for the MayDay Bank Holiday.  Seriously cheesed off! 

0 Likes

Muddymedic
Super Duper Contributor
Message 11 of 13

Hi@SiHancox.  You were right...see my new topic on this issue.

0 Likes

SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor
Message 12 of 13

Been fairly good over the last month with the odd time-out but those didn't last too long, but noticed Thursday night a general slowness to connect and thought with the bank holiday we may be in for some ups and downs again.

Sure enough tonight is not good, had a series of account errors from 2100hrs onwards.

What more can one say...

0 Likes