email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipex Pop Server Issue Again!

SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor
Message 193 of 193

Hi,

I've noticed a general deterioration in the performance of the Pipex Pop Server over the last few weeks and it's now getting to the stage that a loss of connection is occurring each day for some period of time.

You will no doubt be aware this is not a new problem but in fact an ongoing issue due to server age.

Could an OCE please get the Backroom Staff to have a look at trying to improve things in the short term and would it be possible for an update on Pipex customer migration to the new system, because it was back in early Dec '19 that an email was sent notifying this was imminent, nearly 3 months ago!

Thank you.

0 Likes
192 REPLIES 192

Message 1 of 193

I can now occasionally get in via webmail but have not had pop3 access since last Saturday at all. 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 193

A quick update since my last post regarding Pipex pop server connection problems on Monday last.Since Tuesday 7th last connection has worked well and on Wednesday 8th and so far today Thursday 9/4/20.Thank you,May it continue.Fingers crossed!

0 Likes

Message 3 of 193

Appalling service over the last weekend and today with the usual error messages and connection and authorisation failures.Can the server be reset please which usually brngs about an albeit shortlived cure.It is far from acceptable at present with reliable communication vitat to us all.

Message 4 of 193

Hi stevesurrey,

Thanks. Yes, I have been with Pipex since 2003, and stuck with it through its buyout first by Tiscali, then by TalkTalk.

What started as a well run service with reliable broadband and good customer support for broadband and email issues has in recent times deteriorated into a shocking haphazard service with issues almost every day with the Pipex email server. Now almost every day, especially in the evening, I have to hit send/receive half a dozen times or more just to receive email. Sometimes I cannot use the email service at all and have to wait a day or more for it to work. And when I call Customer Support to ask what the problem is, I get someone in the Far East or India who hasn't got a clue, and just wants to keep me talking by repeating back to me what I say, offering no help or promise that the issue will be dealt with, and even sometimes trying to blame my desktop or Outlook.

Clearly TalkTalk has decided not to invest in a reliable service for its Pipex legacy customers.

This has gone on long enough, and I have now jumped ship to BT. Although I was warned that BT would be unreliable and could mess up the transfer, this has not happened so far. Amazingly every time I now send/receive email, it does so almost instantaneously. The BT website for managing email is reasonably straightforward, and having bought the Halo service, I actually get someone in UK to talk to who is not trying to bluff me.

I wish all of you patient souls good fortune, and bon chance with TalkTalk.

J

0 Likes

Message 5 of 193
Not to mention the fact that we have had this exact same problem for over 3 years
0 Likes

Message 6 of 193

Yes I need to try at least half a dozen times in order to get through. What a time  with lockdown on for for TalkTalk to let us down. They were supposed to upgrade the server 3 months ago! 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 193

Have had no connection for 3 hours now, webmail not recognising address or password.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 193

Yes @Skynet_TX its gotten bad for me now too, I suspect its just the usual afternoon slowdown kicking in again. But this morning it was even better than it had been in previous mornings. Perhaps some of the hackers were having a weekend lie-in.....

Eureka! Pipex mailboxes have migrated!
0 Likes

Message 9 of 193
Only just switched the computer on today, but email connectivity is just as bad as 'normal' for me, connects occasionally if I keep retrying, but most of the time just get the usual errors. I doubt Talk Talk have done anything new, it just depends if the people trying to exploit the servers happen to be hitting them hard or not as to whether they are responsive or not for us.
0 Likes

Message 10 of 193

@stevesurrey wrote:

The servers seemed to be working reasonable well up until lunchtime, barring the odd hiccup, but since about 4pm I havent been able to connect at all. Nothing, zilch ,,, nada!

This pattern was repeated for the rest of the week too but today (Saturday) I am delighted to say the servers are responding really quickly without error or failure. I don't know what the backroom techs have done but long may it continue.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 193

The servers seemed to be working reasonable well up until lunchtime, barring the odd hiccup, but since about 4pm I havent been able to connect at all. Nothing, zilch ,,, nada!

0 Likes

Message 12 of 193
Oh there is kit that can do that quite easily, but it is clear that no one wants to spend anything on this 'old' platform. However I bet if you added up the time the admins have to spend trying to keep it accessible for us and how much it has cost in their time over the many many years we have had these exact same problems, the cost in their time would have paid for that kit several times over.
0 Likes

SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor
Message 13 of 193

Hi @Ady-TalkTalk 

That's a pity and explains a lot, but I'm surprised there isn't a bit of kit that could be added to the front end that would then act as the initial filter to keep the load off the "old" server, suppose no enterprising company has considered it worthwhile to develop such an item probably due to limited demand.

Thanks for explaining, lets hope the move happens sooner rather than later, not just for the users but also to protect the sanity of the guys trawling the logs!

0 Likes

Message 14 of 193

Hi SiHancox, I'm afraid the blocking you're asking about isn't possible and this very old platform. Its why the problems have been ongoing for so long. The admins did have to block a load more IPs. It's a totally manual process, there's no automation for this process on the old platform. One person has to check the logs then manually block the offending IP addresses, which is why it improved earler as one of the guys did it when he started shift.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor
Message 15 of 193

Hi @Ady-TalkTalk 

It's been very poor this morning but improved going into early afternoon.

Regarding what was posted yesterday, is it not possible to block IP's by country of origin, if that's not workable could a block be put on all incoming with the exception of known Pipex Customers, in others words those of us that have a monthly account with TalkTalk.

I suggest the above because one assumes no one outside the UK is paying for a TalkTalk account or service.

Or is it not that simply.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 193
Thanks Ady, it's appreciated.
0 Likes

Message 17 of 193

Hi all, I'm sorry that this is happening everyday now. I'm chasing the admins constantly for you.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor
Message 18 of 193

Well, my service appears to have finally followed others, in that all was fine this morning, slow but getting through early afternoon and nothing but errors and pure luck to get anything through thereafter.

Glad I've got my iCloud account...

0 Likes

Message 19 of 193

@Muddymedic After 2 hours of trying on and off to pick up email it did eventually connect, and did download the email I'd been sent earlier today. So at least I've got the email I need.

I've tried to move most important stuff away from the Pipex email now, it is just a few things that have been registered with that address for years that I know would be a bit of a pain to change.

Sounds like you are off to do a very valuable job for the country, thank you for that. Take care.

0 Likes

Muddymedic
Super Duper Contributor
Message 20 of 193

@Skynet_TX  You're wasting your time, matey.  I am now about to do yet another overnight shift supporting our local Ambulance Service in a disease control role.  I will have neither the time nor (frankly) the inclination to check this tonight, and neither should you as it will not make any difference. Having said that, I have just (20:10) received an email via POP sent at 16:17...and it's just crashed again.  I suspect (hope?) that when I get back home tomorrow morning all will be working again until about noon when it will go the shape of the pear!  Luckily, I do not use Pipex emails for anything 'operational' and suggest you do not use it for anything too important. It is currently broken to all intents and purposes (unless you get any business done in the morning!).

Regards and stay well!

0 Likes