email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipex Pop Server Issue Again!

SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor
Message 193 of 193

Hi,

I've noticed a general deterioration in the performance of the Pipex Pop Server over the last few weeks and it's now getting to the stage that a loss of connection is occurring each day for some period of time.

You will no doubt be aware this is not a new problem but in fact an ongoing issue due to server age.

Could an OCE please get the Backroom Staff to have a look at trying to improve things in the short term and would it be possible for an update on Pipex customer migration to the new system, because it was back in early Dec '19 that an email was sent notifying this was imminent, nearly 3 months ago!

Thank you.

0 Likes
192 REPLIES 192

SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor
Message 181 of 193

@Ady-TalkTalk wrote:

Hi SiHancox, we regularly restart the servers I'd be surprised if you are still having problems. If you are please let me know. 

Ady

All I can say is the Pipex Pop Mail Service over the last couple of weeks has been very poor compared to the usual ups and downs previously experienced, so you may want to check and ensure whoever is responsible for “restarting” the server is in fact doing so!

Yesterday wasn’t too bad though and today (so far) seems quite good, but if TalkTalk are relying on “Restarts” to keep things going, then it really has to be done religiously, not as an afterthought or when complaints are received.

With respect to getting a date re Pipex migration, I would appreciate if you could push this strongly with higher management because I would expect they would also want a firm date to avoid cost overruns, and communicating such to Pipex users would go some way to improving TalkTalk’s poor customer service when compared to your competitors.

Thanks for everything you are trying to do though, much appreciated.

0 Likes

Muddymedic
Super Duper Contributor
Message 182 of 193

@Ady-TalkTalk .  Thanks for this.  We're hoping for the same!  Regards

0 Likes

Message 183 of 193

Well I got chance to ask the head of consumer about the problems with Pipex and the migration and the lack of information to go along with that. Hopefully, we'll have some good news to pass on.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 184 of 193

Yay, you agreed to have another meeting! Takes me back ....  😊

Message 185 of 193

Hi SiHancox, we regularly restart the servers I'd be surprised if you are still having problems. If you are please let me know. 

Re the migration we had a meeting on Friday that's led to another meeting tomorrow where I raised the isseu of the lack of communication since the initial mail you may have received in December. I'm told I might have at least an update once I've had the meeting tomorrow. I'll post back and let you know. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 186 of 193

@SiHancox wrote:

I also repeat my question, when will Pipex Mail Accounts finally be migrated on to the new system because your last update on this is now way out of date.

Hi @SiHancox , I was told this week we will ONLY get an update when there is something new to tell us.  That in itself I find worrying as several weeks have now past since the last update and its almost 3 months since the emails alerting us to migration were sent out.

Eureka! Pipex mailboxes have migrated!
0 Likes

SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor
Message 187 of 193

Hi @ferguson 

Thanks, thought that would be the case but had a little spare time so posted now so an OCE (hopefully) will pickup first thing Monday.

The Pop Server is performing very badly at the moment, I'm just trying to draw this to there attention so someone can do what ever they did in the past to keep it limping on.

Thanks as always.

Message 188 of 193

No OCEs until Monday I'm afraid.

SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor
Message 189 of 193

Hi "Any OCE's",

I'm bumping this post because I would appreciate a reply and some action regarding the Pipex Pop Server Intermittent Response issue report Tuesday.

This is a well known and long standing problem which TalkTalk are fully aware of and supposedly trying to resolve permanently with the long awaited migration.

But until that day arrives I wonder if an OCE could get someone to look at the existing server and get it "limping" in to action again.

I also repeat my question, when will Pipex Mail Accounts finally be migrated on to the new system because your last update on this is now way out of date.

Thank you.

0 Likes

Message 190 of 193

I too have noticed how flaky the Pipex POP servers have been over the past week or so. Sadly I now consider this to be the norm which is a sad indictment of TT.

Regrettably, for whatever reason, TT have totally mismanaged the whole migration issue and completely failed to keep customers properly informed. Similar issues can be seen with the introduction of Mail Plus for former broadband customers. I do wonder if the two are connected in some way.

Eureka! Pipex mailboxes have migrated!
0 Likes

SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor
Message 191 of 193

Hi @Muddymedic 

Thanks for taking the time to up date me on what is (or isn't) happening.

If TalkTalk are concerned about the migration of spam accounts can't they set up some form of "proof" system, after all they must have the customers home addresses on file, couldn't they simply write to us for confirmation (by post obviously). I would think by now there can't be that many legit Pipex users left and we are most likely based in the UK with paying monthly accounts.

Those that don't reply and confirm mail addresses could then simply get removed from the system, only to be added back if they go through some form of rigorous proof of identity.

I'm no expert so it might not be as simple as I describe but surely TalkTalk could come up with something similar to prove identity that also uses information they have on record about us.

Anyhow, I appear to be getting mail again all be it 0200Hrs in the morning.

Thanks again.

0 Likes

Muddymedic
Super Duper Contributor
Message 192 of 193

Hi @SiHancox .  I too am experiencing repeated and regular (if short term) outages, with all the 'usual' error messages, and have done over several weeks now, but I've now realised (but not really accepted) that this is the norm until migration takes place.  I (and I know a significant number of other Pipex users) are pursuing the whole migration timetable issue (yet again!) at CEO Tech and Complaints Manager level, but without a clear way ahead, frankly.  Apparently many problems associated with Pipex migration have been addressed and solved, but others (as yet unexplained to us as users) are causing a block on progress.

I have been promised some clarification by the end of this week, at the latest, and will, of course, share that on the community if it's of any utility.  

I think many of us suspect that it is still to do with a number of 'old' (possibly not even actively used) Pipex accounts having poor password security, with the risk of encouraging spam and other compromises, and we'ver all suffered from that over the last year or so at least.  To be fair, I can an see why TT would not wish to proceed with migration until (and if!) those issues can be resolved, or they risk compromising the TalkTalk Mail platform as a whole.  The real question is to establish if TT has the will (and capability) to allocate resources to sort this out in a reasonable timeframe (now 18 months plus, so define 'reasonable').  The alternative could be that TT just pulls the plug on Pipex (as a set of email addresses) altogether, as this falls in the 'too difficult' file.

It would be nice if we could be treated as adults, and a proper explanation of this ongoing and sad saga could be passed on to us as Users, with an idea of what is now on 'planet possible', with some sort of timeframe...but I fear (on past evidence) that that will not be forthcoming. Regards.