email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipex Pop Server Issue Again!

SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor
Message 193 of 193

Hi,

I've noticed a general deterioration in the performance of the Pipex Pop Server over the last few weeks and it's now getting to the stage that a loss of connection is occurring each day for some period of time.

You will no doubt be aware this is not a new problem but in fact an ongoing issue due to server age.

Could an OCE please get the Backroom Staff to have a look at trying to improve things in the short term and would it be possible for an update on Pipex customer migration to the new system, because it was back in early Dec '19 that an email was sent notifying this was imminent, nearly 3 months ago!

Thank you.

0 Likes
192 REPLIES 192

Message 21 of 193
Haven't been able to connect at all this evening so far, will have to just keep trying over and over and over and over as I have to pick up an important email 😞
0 Likes

Message 22 of 193

Whilst this morning was OK I have virtually no connectivity this afternoon with the Pipex servers. Cant the admins block all IPs from outside the UK or something ?

Eureka! Pipex mailboxes have migrated!
0 Likes

Muddymedic
Super Duper Contributor
Message 23 of 193

@Ady-TalkTalk Thanks for the updates, and the activities of the admins are noted, with gratitude....but it still looks as if there is no Pipex connectivity again this afternoon.  I guess there are just more bad guys than admins!  Regards and stay well.

0 Likes

Message 24 of 193

Scratch the last, I've just been told that more IPs have been blocked today.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 25 of 193

Hi all, it seems that the current circumstances are encouraging those who are up to no good to be more active. I've let the team know, but not had any response yet today.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Muddymedic
Super Duper Contributor
Message 26 of 193

Hi And for me at least, I find that I cannot even log-into Pioex Webmail, with repeated failures.  This happens via both Android and Windows 10.

0 Likes

SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor
Message 27 of 193

@stevesurrey wrote:

I am puzzled why we see this occur so often - does it have anything to do with the timezones (eg. america) where the hackers reside?

I've tried to get my head around this problem also, it certainly looks timezone related from my perspective because the server "struggles" do appear to follow a daily pattern.

If that's so, then why can't these attempted logins from those zones be more effectively blocked especially since they are not (one assumes) "paying" for any TalkTalk services.

I'll admit I don't understand how all this works but I would consider TalkTalk must be able to cross reference paying customer accounts with attempted email logins, and then "filter" to reject all others. After all when you leave TalkTalk you now have to pay to retain the mail account, if you don't it then gets deleted after a short grace period.

Suppose someone will explain why it's not that easy, but surely Pipex accounts can't be that many now so I would have thought the relatively small numbers would make some form of filter system more than possible.

0 Likes

Message 28 of 193

This morning (sunday)  I found the servers to be mostly error free and working well. However, since lunchtime the usual slowdown has kicked in along with the usual array of errors. I am puzzled why we see this occur so often - does it have anything to do with the timezones (eg. america) where the hackers reside?

0 Likes

Muddymedic
Super Duper Contributor
Message 29 of 193

Hi And as of now, I can access very effectively my Pipex emails by both POP and Webmail...but it doesn't mean that it will be the same later tonight or tomorrow.  I am grateful for all that TT people have done here (yet again) to try to get us some sort of service, but it's not reliable to any degree and we all know that, don't we?  

Let's be realistic here, how long will TT keep on expending effort in keeping this lame-duck alive?

Regards

0 Likes

Message 30 of 193

My experience today has been that it's sluggish but it gets there in the end! 

0 Likes

SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor
Message 31 of 193

I'm still ok, it was a little slow this morning but the times I tried from about Noon I managed to get the odd message fairly quickly, just tied now and it was very quick.

If things do look slow I just leave my client open and wait a while, that usually gets the messages without error but may take up to a minute.

Not sure why I'm bucking the trend at the moment, I only use iMac and iDevices, I'm certainly  classed as a lite user (as said previously) and I don't keep trying to constantly login into the server, so may be some of these factors are helping.

Appreciate this doesn't help much but can't think of anything else I'm doing out of the usual, although I did upgrade macOS and iOS to latest releases on Tuesday.

So may be the server just likes me at the moment...

0 Likes

Message 32 of 193
And the sign-in page on Netmail keeps timing out too. Same old same old!
0 Likes

Message 33 of 193

My connection has been absolutely hopeless today, around 4-5 hours delay in receiving messages, continuous connection failed or dropped messages.

0 Likes

Muddymedic
Super Duper Contributor
Message 34 of 193

Hi Guys.  You are, of course, correct: I am now getting emails sort of coming through on POP, but they are delayed and the whole thing is plagued by the usual crop of error messages.  I have been at work for most of the day, and equally worryingly I have had intermittent sign-in difficulties to Pipex Webmail both on Windows 10 and Android.  When you can sign in, then it's slower than a slow thing.  I wonder if anyone at TT is actually doing anything about this at the moment?  

0 Likes

Message 35 of 193

Slow to connect annd authorise.Error messages and password requests.Finally got through after numerous attempts.Timed at 3.20pm 28/3/20.Was fine earlier 6.45 am approx..

0 Likes

Message 36 of 193

I wasnt checking for emails this morning, but since midday I am lucky if one of my three email addresses connects successfully at each attempt.

0 Likes

Message 37 of 193

In reply to @Muddymedic , this is not my experience this morning. Anything between 1 and 5 Pipex mailboxes are out of action at any one time. Right now, 3 are down.

0 Likes

Muddymedic
Super Duper Contributor
Message 38 of 193

Bump! @Ady-TalkTalk  I don't know how it is for others, but it seems good for me this morning.  Thank you to those who sorted this out overnight.  Regards

0 Likes

Message 39 of 193

@JSaville I suggest you would be better off starting your own thread as your question is different.

As regards the server problem I am still finding the response patchy with successful connections only about half the time. I fear we are in for a difficult weekend.

0 Likes

Message 40 of 193

Hi, I am a Pipex customer (dsl.pipex.com). When moving my broadband and email service from TalkTalk to a new provider, how long does the "old" dsl.pipex.com email service remain active? It may take a day or so for the new email to propagate, but I have also heard that sometimes the old email remains active for a couple of weeks.

Does anyone know what the TalkTalk policy or situation is? TalkTalk isn't taking any calls, so I cannot ask to speak to their tech people.

John

0 Likes