email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipex Pop Server Issue Again!

SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor
Message 193 of 193

Hi,

I've noticed a general deterioration in the performance of the Pipex Pop Server over the last few weeks and it's now getting to the stage that a loss of connection is occurring each day for some period of time.

You will no doubt be aware this is not a new problem but in fact an ongoing issue due to server age.

Could an OCE please get the Backroom Staff to have a look at trying to improve things in the short term and would it be possible for an update on Pipex customer migration to the new system, because it was back in early Dec '19 that an email was sent notifying this was imminent, nearly 3 months ago!

Thank you.

0 Likes
192 REPLIES 192

Message 61 of 193
Hi @Ady-TalkTalk , all appears well so far this morning, although there was a bit of a delay in connecting a few minutes ago. However, this time in the morning has been generally OK recently, so I'll check around lunchtime to see how it's going then.
0 Likes

Muddymedic
Super Duper Contributor
Message 62 of 193

Hi @Ady-TalkTalk I've had a couple of very transient error messages this morning, but on the whole working very well today.. Significantly, there was no problem with email yesterday afternoon and evening.  Thank you.  Regards.

0 Likes

Message 63 of 193

Is it still the same this morning?

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Muddymedic
Super Duper Contributor
Message 64 of 193

Hi @. And the same for me. Here we go again? 

0 Likes

Message 65 of 193

Clearly, I spoke too soon! I said it would be the kiss of death to say it seemed OK. Most of the evening, 3 or 4 of my Pipex mailboxes have been down with "Temporary authentication failure", "secure connection to the server cannot be made", or "connection to host pop.dsl.pipex.com on port 995 failed".

0 Likes

Message 66 of 193

@Gondola wrote:

@WearyCustomer wrote:   Still not sure why it happens so much on Pipex mailboxes...

Pipex mailboxes have been in use for a very long time.  Many use passwords that haven't been changed in years and simply haven't kept pace with the recommended security strength and uniqueness to ensure the mailboxes stay out of the hands of hackers.

Its such a great pity that Pipex users haven't had the simple ability to change passwords themselves for ages. TT could then have forced us all to change our passwords.

Eureka! Pipex mailboxes have migrated!

Message 67 of 193

Hi savvyowl 

I'd recommend you browser bookmark the correct site then you'll always be able to sign in to pipex webmail securely.  When the pipex mailbox does get upgraded to the TalkTalk Mail platform then you'll be able to use the TalkTalk Mail sign in.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 68 of 193

You are right. I was logging in via the talktalk site which sends you to the homecall site which works but is insecure. It used to send you to the business pipex page. I didn’t notice as I don’t use webmail hardly. I only logged in that way as none of my usual email programs could connect

0 Likes

Message 69 of 193

Hi @savvyowl 

If pipex webmail is advising that your connection is insecure then you're not using the recommended webmail sign in.

The first step is to check that you can sign in to your pipex mailbox via the pipex webmail sign-in.

If you wish to delete any pipex mailbox then ask the Data Protection Team under your right to be forgotten / right to deletion. Access information we hold on you 

0 Likes

Message 70 of 193

Old mailboxes have not been abandoned. i have tried repeatedly to get them deleted however there is no process for that and I keep being told how to delete them off my laptop. Yes, I know that, what I need is for compromised mailboxes to be deleted off the server. 

0 Likes

Message 71 of 193

For the last 48 hours I have been getting varying messages but mainly ‘ can’t connect to the Mailbox or server or username or password is not recognised. Webmail is fine but it is not working on any of my three different devices. Webmail is however insecure as it keeps telling me!

0 Likes

Message 72 of 193

I think also the fact that the majority of mailbox accounts have simply been abandoned by former users is an issue, just still sitting there ready for abuse. How many Pipex mailboxes are currently active? Frankly I am surprised that TalkTalk have continued to support these and other of the legacy email services they inherited as they took over from other ISPs. I am sure if they had their time again they would have adopted a different approach.

So for those of you who continue to grit your teeth in the face of an imperfect service despite many years in which you could have found an alternative - Pipex have effectively been inactive for 12 years -  hang on in there for the promised migration. I know what I would have done.

0 Likes

Message 73 of 193

@WearyCustomer wrote:   Still not sure why it happens so much on Pipex mailboxes...

Pipex mailboxes have been in use for a very long time.  Many use passwords that haven't been changed in years and simply haven't kept pace with the recommended security strength and uniqueness to ensure the mailboxes stay out of the hands of hackers.

So, the pipex platform has issues with hackers attempting repeated logins. And, if any unauthorised login is successful then a consequential problem of spam being sent from a compromised mailbox. Detection by spam traps and another blacklisting and reputation issue arises causing other mail services to block regular users' mail messages.

Message 74 of 193
Thanks, Gondola. I hadn't appreciated that was what was causing the problem. Still not sure why it happens so much on Pipex mailboxes, or why it's periodic. Presumably, the latter just depends on when hackers target Pipex? Anyway, thanks for taking the trouble to explain the problem.
0 Likes

Message 75 of 193

@WearyCustomer wrote:   I have no idea what the earlier references to "unauthorised logins" are all about...

Unauthorised logins = hackers persistently attempting to sign in to potentially vulnerable mailboxes which then ties up the sign in authentication server so genuine users have difficulty signing in.

Message 76 of 193

I have no idea what the earlier references to "unauthorised logins" are all about, but I'm pleased to report that today, I've had no delays, error messages, etc on any of my Pipex accounts.  So thank you @Ady-TalkTalk for your work on this.  My contribution to report that there's no problem will, of course, be the kiss of death, and we'll probably all be locked out for the next three hours!😁 What I don't understand is why the problem can apparently easily be resolved when the tech guys get onto it, but then it comes back again on another occasion - usually a Friday evening or a bank holiday. Maybe I'm just not techy enough to appreciate what the problem actually is.

0 Likes

SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor
Message 77 of 193

I'm probably going back prior to YTS (just goes to show my age) but we took on a lot of Trainees back then that served 4 or 5 years going through the various company departments and study, when qualified they never failed to remain with the company.

Those were the days we invested in personnel and kept looking to the future.

Anyhow, your reply came through Mail very quickly so "still" looks good.

0 Likes

Message 78 of 193

In the olden days we'd have had a YTS, but not sure that an untrained staff member could fulfill the roll. The email guys are all highly qualified. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor
Message 79 of 193

Hi @Ady-TalkTalk 

Thanks for keeping on top of this, I'm sure it's appreciated by everyone in this discussion.

Regarding feedback, I accessed mail at about 0700 this morning and it was a little glitchy but still got messages. Been out all morning (gardening at mom's so very much on my own) but on returning home accessed mail again at 1200 and it was noticeably snappy, so looks like the work this morning has done the trick.

The techs just need to keep on top of it if possible, don't they have a trainee that could be allocated the task!

0 Likes

Message 80 of 193

My colleagues are keeping a close eye on it today just to see if anything has changed. I suspect not though.

Ady

0 Likes