email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipex Pop Server Issue Again!

SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor
Message 193 of 193

Hi,

I've noticed a general deterioration in the performance of the Pipex Pop Server over the last few weeks and it's now getting to the stage that a loss of connection is occurring each day for some period of time.

You will no doubt be aware this is not a new problem but in fact an ongoing issue due to server age.

Could an OCE please get the Backroom Staff to have a look at trying to improve things in the short term and would it be possible for an update on Pipex customer migration to the new system, because it was back in early Dec '19 that an email was sent notifying this was imminent, nearly 3 months ago!

Thank you.

0 Likes
192 REPLIES 192

Message 121 of 193

Plenty would consider email a critical service especially at a time when so many forced to spend time at home. And its not like the problem with Pipex has only just arisen, its been an ongoing issue for about 2 years that TalkTalk have failed to fully resolve..

Eureka! Pipex mailboxes have migrated!
0 Likes

Message 122 of 193

@WearyCustomer Have you considered using an alternative email service while TalkTalk and other providers concentrate their resources on more critical services?

0 Likes

Message 123 of 193

What a joke from TalkTalk CEO Tristia Harrison!  An email has just been sent to customers saying: 

A message from Tristia Harrison CEO
Following new Government guidelines on travel restrictions, working from home and less community activity due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus), we’d like to reassure you that you can continue to rely on our services to stay connected to family, friends and co-workers during this time.

Obviously, there's no ability to reply to explain to her that we haven't had a service for a couple of hours today (like yesterday), that having uninterrupted emails would be good, and that at this time it's actually more important than ever not to find emails are delayed for several hours. Talk about rubbing salt into the wounds!

0 Likes

SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor
Message 124 of 193

I’ve just noticed the update on the forum login page that following government advice and the virus outbreak TalkTalk have reduced support staff, particularly warning you may have extended waiting times on phone calls, wonder if that applies to forum response and online chat teams as well?

I appreciate times are hard but can’t help thinking some less honourable companies might use this situation to cover up substandard support or even justify a lack of service, I really hope TalkTalk will not be one of them.

Balancing health responsibilities to staff while maintaining customer services shouldn’t be too difficult if a company hasn't cut resources to the bone, but if resources are down at the moment I wonder if Social Media might be a better way to raise the server issue, unfortunately I don’t have such an account being a little behind the times.

Anyhow, very flakey after midday, as expected...

Message 125 of 193

Quite extraordinary!  Everyone else is trying to make it easier for people to work at home during the current emergency.  TalkTalk's response is to give us the shoddy email service they usually reserve for bank holidays!  Yesterday and today all I get is: "The server returned the error: Temporary authentication failure"  

0 Likes

Message 126 of 193

It's rubbish again at the moment! It's only just after noon and nothing is coming through.

Message 127 of 193

@Ady-TalkTalk wrote:

I'll have a word with the admins and see if the logins issue is more regular than the normal once per week at the moment.

Re the migration I got to have a chat and reinforce your concerns yesterday. I'm hopeful that we/you will hear something soon. I've been given a commitment that I'll be updated. I'm on leave next week to celebrate my 50th so I'll copy Chris in and ask him to update you in my absence. 

Ady

@Chris-TalkTalk can we please have your update on Migration and some response regarding the repeated episodes of server downtime we are all experiencing. Thanks.

0 Likes

SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor
Message 128 of 193

I’m now assuming these “good” periods are just by “chance”, in that TalkTalk aren’t really doing anything to improve this poor POP Server issue anymore, that view is largely based on the fact it’s been happening for so long now and we still get very little feedback, I get the feeling they would really wish this could just go away.

That might be a little unfair of me but I really don’t understand when a section of their community (and paying customers) have been suffering so long we can’t at least be kept more up to date regarding Migration.

I’m personally finding service is generally ok in the mornings, from midday till early evening hit and miss, evenings poor until midnight when it appears to sort itself out again.

Can’t believe these poor periods are happening by accident though, so why something can’t be done to ease the situation is beyond me, but I’ve started switching to text messages and using my iCloud account.

0 Likes

Message 129 of 193

Pipex pop server seems to be working again this morning 18/3/20. Goodness knows how long for this time.Feedback on the situation would be good from the OCE's as the service has become most unreliable.and inefficient.

0 Likes

Muddymedic
Super Duper Contributor
Message 130 of 193

Bump!  It looks as though things have improved by this evening, but clearly we need to monitor this overnight and into tomorrow morning.  Nevertheless, these outages are now becoming the norm again, so my questions posed above remain really.  But well done to those who did whatever they did to apparently sort it out this time (again!).

0 Likes

Muddymedic
Super Duper Contributor
Message 131 of 193

And I wonder when we will even be given the courtesy of an acknowledgement of all this, let alone some sort of remedy.  Pipex mail is definitely not able to accessed in POP via Windows 10, Windows Mail, Pipex Webmail (both via Windows and Android).  Are the admins/techs aware of this major outage? Who is leading OCE on this issue, in OCE_Ady's absence on leave?

0 Likes

Message 132 of 193

A very similar experience here too. Servers were working OK this morning but have nearly ground to a complete halt again. Numerous credential requests but authorisation ultimately fails.

0 Likes

Message 133 of 193

Cannot get past authorisation stage to download emails.The following error message keeps showing at each attempt and numerous password prompts.In other words the"usual" problems.Timed at 4pm 17/3/20 Unable to send or receive messages for the Dsl. account. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems or a long period of inactivity.

Server: 'pop.dsl.pipex.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F
Protocol: POP3
Port: 995
Secure(SSL): Yes
Socket Error: 10053

0 Likes

Message 134 of 193
It is very hit and miss again this morning!
0 Likes

Message 135 of 193

Connections to Pipex POP servers remain sporadic at best like they have been now for 3 or 4 days. System seems overdue for a restart.

Got a bounceback message too this morning concerning an email I had sent to a Yahoo address.

"Maximum Retry Queue Age Reached"

Is this a repeat of the major problem we had last summer when various ISPs were blocking or rate-limiting emails originating from Pipex?

0 Likes

Muddymedic
Super Duper Contributor
Message 136 of 193

Bump!  And I also meant to say that have similar experiences with yahoo! addresses.

0 Likes

Muddymedic
Super Duper Contributor
Message 137 of 193

And overnight I had two email delivery failures to AOL addresses.

0 Likes

Message 138 of 193

@Pianist2 and @Bikie_John your comments about Yahoo prompted me to do some testing and I too found emails from my Pipex address were not delivered to Yahoo. Messages to Gmail & Hotmail addresses (the other previous problem recipients) worked just fine thankfully.

Think we might need to start a new thread on the problem sending to Yahoo.

0 Likes

Message 139 of 193

Also - general Pipex mail server connectivity is pretty random (and mostly bad) this morning and has been for a couple of days.

We are about to get fibred up here, which will mean a change to the broadband contract. If TT don't up their game on email service I will really have to start looking elsewhere.

0 Likes

Message 140 of 193

Same here - got a bounce back this morning from a mail I sent to a Yahoo address at 5pm yesterday. Not had any other bounces, but of course I have no idea whether mails to other domains are simply not being delivered, as happened last summer.