email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipex email server support

AllyHope
First Timer
Message 4 of 4

Hi Chris

I too have a problem with my Pipex email address.  It has been repeatedly hacked and they are now asking for a Bitcoin ransom.  I have tried to change the password but can't work out how to do it.  Have spent ages on phone to helpdesk but they can't help either.  No one seems to know anything about the old dsl.pipex.com server.  I now want to close my account - how can I do that? 

Thanks

Ally 

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 4

Hi AllyHope,

Just to confirm, are you currently a TalkTalk Customer or have you been in the past?

Chris

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 4

Hi Ally, sit tight and OCE_Ady will come to your rescue I’m sure. Don’t do anything until then, he sorted everything out for everyone over recent weeks so hang on in there and do nothing until he’s on here which I’m sure will be Monday. Good luck x

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 3 of 4

Hi @AllyHope

When you say the email account has been repeatedly hacked are you saying someone else has control of it?  The recent spate of blackmail scam emails say they've hacked your account but that's as fake as the blackmail claims.

It looks like almost all the blackmail scam emails simply spoof the sending email address and invent the fake allegations.  Stay calm, don't worry and above all don't respond in any way. 

It's unlikely that your pipex email account was used but if your pipex email password was weak, has been cracked or obtained from another website hacking and your email account compromised as a result then of course it's vital to get it secured and a new ultra-strong password provided for you to recover your control.  Or you can choose to put the account into suspension pending auto-deletion. Your choice.

You'll need to prove you're the registered user of the email with 5 items of personal data that only you would know. Double check that you've added to your Community Profile, Personal Information (Click here) all of the following in the Private Notes area at the bottom of the page (To which only you and authorised TalkTalk Community Team UK staff have access):

• Email address affected
  • Your Full Name
  • Date of Birth
  • Landline 'phone number linked to the pipex email address when first registered
  • Full postal address linked to the pipex email address when first registered
  • Include your mobile contact number and times to call - daytimes when you'll be there in person to receive the password and speak to the email team
    (for your security they won't leave a message with the password and there's no number to call them)
  • Save changes.

This topic has been escalated to the TalkTalk Community support team to verify the details recorded for the owner of the email address. An OCE will reply here to help from Monday onwards with info about authorising the password change by the pipex email admins.

Scan all your devices with anti-virus and anti-malware software solutions just to make sure passwords aren't obtained by keyloggers.

If you've used the same password elsewhere then do update those passwords with ultra-strong multi-case letters, numbers and allowed symbols of at least 10 characters (is my minimum recommendation).  Advice from CyberAware about passwords. Advice from GetSafeOnline about passwords.

If you do discover any fraud then the place to report that is ActionFraudUK.

Just confirm whether your choice is to recover control with a new password or to put the account into suspension so nobody can use it pending auto-deletion for non-use in 180 days+.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution