email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pop3 Pipex SMTP settings after changeover?

ico99
Team Player
Message 11 of 11

Hi - can't send on various devices suddenly. Have changed SMTP to what I think is correct, i.e. smtp.talktalk.net

(Pipex mailboxes now upgraded)

Any ideas? Not entirely sure about any revised port/security settings

Thanks

p.s. could not find definitive Help page with new settings on it - just the old one

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Hi gmlack, your webmail will be working without any change and for most mail clients are working without any change. It's worked for many millions of mailboxes. Inevitably some customers have problems down to the software they use, configuration they use, etc. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 11

@Ady-TalkTalk wrote:

Hi ico99, you'd think so wouldn't you. But so many people don't read the comms we'd get 1'000s of calls about it not working.

But wasn't it all supposed to continue working without any changes to configuration?

Apart from now only being able to send as the account you've authenticated with (which affected me, but my set-up is unusual so that's my lookout, and I fixed my end in ~10mins), I haven't had to change anything.

Which is just as well, as I can't see any announced changes.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 11

"so many people don't read the comms we'd get 1'000s of calls about it not working. We know our audience well and can see how few have read the mail we sent. "

:O)  - not sure what the modern-day consumer-facing equivalent of 'RTFM' is...

Personally I'd devise some kind of torture thing whereby they couldn't access their mailbox or this forum without first stepping through some kind of on-screen idiot-guide...

0 Likes

Message 4 of 11

Hi ico99, you'd think so wouldn't you. But so many people don't read the comms we'd get 1'000s of calls about it not working. We know our audience well and can see how few have read the mail we sent. We have to maintain as much normality as we can until we know our audience is engaged with us. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 5 of 11

@ico99 wrote:

Hmm, thanks Andy but...

... I am quite surprised to hear that. Mainly because surely it makes sense for TalkTalk project leaders to try and get as many people as possible immediately onto the settings which will be the 'final' ones when all the other server wotsits get shut down?

Well, at the moment:

• smtp.dsl.pipex.com is smtp.talktalk.net + smtp.tiscali.co.uk
  • imap.dsl.pipex.com, imap.talktalk.net an d imap.tiscale.co.uk are all the same
  • the MX record for dsl.pipex.com is MX talktalk.net + MX tiscali.co.ukj

So, if they ever do collapse everything into only the talktalk.net names I hope they announce it well in advance (send an email to all accounts?) and don't revert to having Aliases in the MX records (which doesn't work, as it is illegal for the protocol).

However, this is just the DNS records - there's only 1 mail server address and 2 sending/routing ones - so no particular need to remove them.

Message 6 of 11

Hmm, thanks Andy but...

... I am quite surprised to hear that. Mainly because surely it makes sense for TalkTalk project leaders to try and get as many people as possible immediately onto the settings which will be the 'final' ones when all the other server wotsits get shut down?

If they allow a free-for-all now, you lot are just going to go through all the same customer shrieking and wailing down the line when the only options left standing are the final ones and loads of people get disconnected again.

Gave up long ago at being surprised at how illogical the 'logic' industry corporates can be!!!! ;O)

Message 7 of 11

Hi ico99, in actual fact you should now be able to use any settings as they're all valid on the new platform. Eventually I think it will be reduced to just the TalkTalk settings, but for now you can use the old settings or the new. There's no difference between old and newly migrated accounts. 

Ady

0 Likes

Message 8 of 11

Hi Ady,

Yes, I've seen that article - it was the one I was referring to. However it is not crystal clear, to me at least - probably because it is trying to cover too many areas at once and does not specifically relate to upgraded mailboxes.

One part of it says: "If you've got one of our older, non TalkTalk email accounts...  (e.g. Pipex)" - so I am guessing that a lot of Pipex users with newly upgraded email accounts will still assume that applies to them - as it is the only point on the page that mentions Pipex.

(BTW there is a possible spelling error: smpt.dial.pipex.com )

I am guessing that you are saying that such users should follow the main bit at the top: 'To find out if you’re using POP3' - and that these settings work for newly upgraded Pipex mailbox customers:

e.g. Incoming mail server - imap.talktalk.net -  mail.talktalk.net

is that correct, allong with all the various security and port settings??

Again, the problem is that if you look at some of the threads here, I believe other settings have been advised as being ok. For example, on one of my devices I am using the following for my upgraded account just fine:

pop.talktalk.net  - smtp.dial.pipex.com

This may be due to my disorganisation in only dipping in and  out of the forum infrequently, with gaps of course, and for all I know - as part of the continuing upgrade process - these alternatives may be switched off.

However I come back to my original point - surely it would only take someone 20 mins to bash together a 'Pipex users with newly upgraded mailboxes - here are your required settings' document?

At the end of the day, would simplify Forum traffic  - an initial reply of Can you check that your settings match this document? would solve a lot of problems, real and imaginary...

Thanks

Message 9 of 11

Hi ico99, you'll find all the correct settings in the email settings help article

Ady

0 Likes

ico99
Team Player
Message 10 of 11

Update - just found that all devices are now SMTP sending OK now, so something clearly awry for a time.

Slap my wrists if I haven't noticed it, but could really do with a "Newly upgraded Pipex mailboxes - here are the complete POP3/IMAP/SMTP settings to use" Help Document.

Would save a lot of unnecessary postings...