email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential issue with dsl.pipex.com mail being sent from talktalk.net?

gmlack
Whizz Kid
Message 1 of 8

Since one of my dsl.pipex.com email addresses was migrated this afternoon I decided to check that it all still worked for the way that I use it.

I do not use Webmail (but I can login to it using the account details, so I'll assume that does actually work).

I collect all incoming mail using IMAP and send to TalkTalk via my own SMTP server. So I sent a message from this migrated account and another one to it.

All seemed OK, in that all message arrived at their destination.

But, when I came to look at the headers of the test message sent to a gmail account I noticed this:

Received-SPF: softfail (google.com: domain of transitioning xxxxxx@dsl.pipex.com does not designate 62.24.135.67 as permitted sender) client-ip=62.24.135.67;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com;
       spf=softfail (google.com: domain of transitioning xxxxxx@dsl.pipex.com does not designate 62.24.135.67 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=xxxxxx@dsl.pipex.com

and I'm now wondering whether this is likely to result in some mail services rejecting such mail as junk or spoofed? Which would be all mail I send....

Is there anyway that TalkTalk can designate that it can send as dsl.pipex.com (and various other domain names)?

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 2 of 8

Hi gmlack,

Just to confirm, have you had any emails rejected as spam?

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 3 of 8

@Chris-TalkTalk wrote:

Hi gmlack,

Just to confirm, have you had any emails rejected as spam?

Since this refers to message I'm sending, how would necessarily I know? It might be the recipient who would see the SPAM marking or possibly(?) never see the message at all.

I have had a occasional rejections for mail sent to a Plusnet address which only started to happen recently.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 8

Hi gmlack, if you get any confirmed rejections as a result of this please let us know and we'll get a ticket raised for you. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

gmlack
Whizz Kid
Message 5 of 8

Mail for me (and my wife, so both accounts that had a problem), at least, is now working again.

Looking at the headers it started to "flow" again sometime around 11(?) this morning.

Some message have arrived from yesterday, but all of those look to have been queued externally and have been waiting for up to a day before TalkTalk accepted them.

Since the Service Status is now reporting everything as OK I'll have to assume that all other messages have been lost.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 8

@Ady-TalkTalk wrote:

Hi gmlack, if you get any confirmed rejections as a result of this please let us know and we'll get a ticket raised for you.

OK, but any rejections would go to the sender, not to me, and in such a situation they're unlikely to email the same address again to point out there was a rejection.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 8

As reported in my own thread on this issue EMAILS-FROM-PIPEX-TO-GMAIL-DELAYED the problem seems to be that emails are not rejected but severely delayed (up to 6 hours in my tests). Surely that isnt reasonable either for an email system nowadays?

Eureka! Pipex mailboxes have migrated!
0 Likes

GregTingey
Super Duper Contributor
Message 8 of 8

I do hoipe this is the correct thread ... don't want to accidentally "spam" - as I managed to do last week (!)

This morning, I found that I could recieve, but not "Send"...

The on-agai / off-again nature of this is getting tiring.

I do hope the problems are sorted a s a p - hopefully when migration is actually done?

[ WIll copy-post this to one other thread ]

0 Likes