email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem changing homecall email password

KannyKen
Whizz Kid
Message 13 of 13

My original email account and the one I use most dates from "Pipex" days and has the domain name @homecall.co.uk. Following a number of scam emails claiming my account is compromised (which I do not believe) it made me think at least I ought to change my password which I did following the procedure given in the "Manage Webmail" section of the "My Account" page. Although I received an email confirming the change it referred to it as being the password to sign into "My Account.

However, that makes no sense as antcipating a clash between accessing email and accessing "My Account" I pre-empted this issue by previously selecting a later email account with a @talktalk.net domain to access my account. I had already confirmed that this second email address got me into "My Account" and that my original @homecall.co.uk account no longer gave me access.

My email client (MS Outlook 2016) still functions with the old password as does using webmail to get emails. If I try the new and supposedly confirmed password on webmail it is rejected.

There is an anomanly in the procedure to change passwords. The help information states categorically it is necessary to enter the old password as part of the procedure but this is not so for @homecall.co.uk domain. I opened the procedure for three different homecall addresses and there is no question about the old password. However, when I try the same for my two talktalk.net accounts the question is there. Might this indicate there is a problem?

Some people call me Victor Meldrew. I don't believe it!
0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

That's great. Thanks for posting back to let us know it's sorted. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 13
All done, thank you. Hope the transfer to the new platform happens soon because this it is time consuming for both TalkTalk and users to need an admin to change a password.

Message 3 of 13

She will have no fear. The password has already been changed that will be the reason you've got no access at present. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 4 of 13
I hope she does! Now my email account works neither with my email client nor on webmail. For webmail I tried the old password and the one I entered as account password for that address.
0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 13

Thanks, I've raised the fault ticket for you. You should get a call this morning from Flavia with your new password. Please let us know how you get on. 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 13

All info added.

Thank you

0 Likes

Message 7 of 13

Hi KannyKen, I can help you get the password reset. I need you to add ALL of the following to the private note section of your community profile:

Email address affected.

Full Name.

Date of Birth.

Mobile contact number.

Phone number linked to email address

Full postal address email is linked to.

Once you've added that post back to let me know and I'll raise a fault ticket to get this sorted for you.

Message 8 of 13

Hi @KannyKen

Grateful thanks for the screenshots. Very useful as I see there's also a slight variation with the homecall password limiting it to 20 characters maximum.

I'll alert the TalkTalk Community Team that you'd like a homecall password change.

Please ensure your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) includes your name, address, current TalkTalk landline 'phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended). Add, then scroll down and add the homecall email address or addresses in Private notes and save changes.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 9 of 13

Here are the two screen shots. However, I am no nearer solving my problem of changing my email password. It is a weak system if I as a user cannot do this but need a system admin to do it, especially as there is no obvious way to contact such a person. Every month I read something somewhere from that we must he security conscious and change passwords regularly. Seems this message has not reached TalkTalk.change homecall pw.JPGchange talktalk pw.JPG

0 Likes

Message 10 of 13

...That's why I said "There's normally three password boxes to fill in for an email password change."

As I cannot test what happens with a legacy email account password change it would be great if we could see what you're seeing. Would you login to your MyAccount and upload a screenshot, using the photos icon above this reply area, of:

1. The talktalk.net email password change pop-up box
  2. The homecall email password change pop-up box

Crop the screenshots before uploading so no personal data shows.

On the issue of there not being an explanation of the difference between using the existing MyAccount password to authorise an email password change vs using the existing email password to authorise an email password change, I'd just like to check item 1. to make sure you see what I see i.e. that it does state to enter the existing MyAccount password in the top box of the three boxes presented.

If that top box is indeed missing for the homecall password change I don't see that as an issue. It's just how Talk/Talk have coded the function. It's not a particular security risk having had to log in to MyAccount to get to the password change function.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 13
Your last point is incorrect. I may have confused email and account passwords because nowhere is there an explanation of the difference. However, that aside, in the procedure to change a homecall password, there is no box to enter an EXISTING PASSWORD, just the new one twice.
0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 12 of 13

Hi @KannyKen

There's a number of issues that TakTalk still haven't got working in the way you'd expect.

@KannyKen wrote:...My original email account has the domain name @homecall.co.uk.  I did (a password change) following the procedure given in the "Manage Webmail" section of the "My Account" page. I received an email confirming the (email password) change it referred to it as being the password to sign into "My Account. However, that makes no sense...

It seems that when a customer has a talktalk email adddress selected as the MyAccount login then any email password change for any email addresses managed via MyAccount generates the email notification saying that the MyAccount password has been changed. In up to 4 out of five cases that's obviously a wrong notification.  Is is correct for the one email address also used as the MyAccount login.  (Even though I personally think that's a security risk).  I've attempted to get the wrong email notification corrected via the topic here but seem to have failed.

@KannyKen wrote:  My original email account has the domain name @homecall.co.uk.  I did (a password change) following the procedure given in the "Manage Webmail" section of the "My Account" page. My email client (MS Outlook 2016) still functions with the old password as does using webmail to get emails. If I try the new and supposedly confirmed password on webmail it is rejected.

The homecall legacy email account platform does not have an active link from the change password feature in MyAccount.  So the old password remains.  A password change has to be done manually for you by the email admins.  That situation will be resolved when the homecall email accounts are migrated to the new TalkTalk mail platform as there will then be password recovery in place.

@KannyKen wrote: There is an anomanly in the procedure to change passwords. The help information states categorically it is necessary to enter the old password as part of the procedure but this is not so for @homecall.co.uk domain. I opened the procedure for three different homecall addresses and there is no question about the old password. However, when I try the same for my two talktalk.net accounts the question is there. Might this indicate there is a problem?

Here's the advice article for managing your email in MyAccount. It does not say anywhere that I can see about entering the old email password.  It does say to enter the MyAccount password which is what's used as authorisation to set and confirm a new email password.

Think about it. Suppose you'd forgotten the email password and needed to create a new email password. There's normally three password boxes to fill in for an email password change. Top one is the MyAccount password. Middle one is the new email password and bottom is confirming the email password.

0 Likes