email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem connecting to Tiscali with IMAP with one client but not another

DavidB-E
Conversation Starter
Message 5 of 5

That's ... odd. Last night the email clients I use on laptop (Thunderbird) and phone (FairEmail) stopped being able to connect via IMAP to the mail server for my Tiscali addresses. This morning Thunderbird is still unable to connect, but FairEmail on the Android phone IS able to connect and has fetched new emails. As far as I recall I configured both clients with the same settings, so how come FairEmail is doing IMAP fetches for Tiscali mailboxes while Thunderbird can't?

I notice connections have remained fine for my TalkTalk and UkGateway mailboxes throughout in both clients - it's only the Tiscali mailboxes affected. While I haven't checked the logs, from the status bar messages it appears to be the DNS lookup for the Tiscali alias of the mailbox that is failing. But that doesn't explain why FairEmail on my phone is now working on them while Thunderbird isn't, even though FairEmail was failing too last night

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

DavidB-E
Conversation Starter
Message 1 of 5

CNAME DNS queries show they are all just aliases for the same server with the canonical name imap.tt.xion.oxcs.net, equally valid. The taltalk.net server name is just another alias like all of the others.

But can't do more, too much pain, brain fog. Mail working, broadband connection still dreadful, 2 1/2 weeks now.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 2 of 5

Fair to say that I cannot follow what's happened / happening with your mailboxes.

But the DNS issue is fixed and the mail servers are responding now. I'd still like to see all your email clients/apps set up with the talktalk.net host name.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

DavidB-E
Conversation Starter
Message 3 of 5

Well, the Tiscali - and UKGateway, now I check more carefully - mailboxes started working again in Thunderbird a few minutes ago, so the over all problem appears to be fixed. But I'm still curious as to how the one client remained working on them most of the way through apart from a short period last night, while the other was out for over 12 hours.

I have two Tiscali mailboxes as well as one UkGateway.net and one TalkTalk. The TalkTalk one never showed a fetch error. For The UkGateway and two Tiscali ones:

Tiscali Mailbox 1:

Client                Platform                        Server                       Port    Security

Thunderbird    Windows 10 laptop    imap.tiscali.co.uk    993    SSL/TLS

FairEmail         Android 8.0 Phone     imap.tiscali.co.uk    993    SSL/TLS

Tiscali Mailbox 2:

Client                 Platform                        Server                           Port   Security

Thunderbird    Windows 10 laptop     imap.tiscali.co.uk       993    SSL/TLS

FairEmail          Android 8.0 Phone     imap.talktalk.net        993    SSL/TLS

UkGateway Mailbox:

Client                 Platform                        Server                        Port   Security

Thunderbird    Windows 10 laptop     imap.tiscali.co.uk    993    SSL/TLS

FairEmail          Android 8.0 Phone     imap.ukgateay.net 993    SSL/TLS

Hm. In FairEmail the server was originally set to imap.tiscali.co.uk, but I changed it to imap.talktalk.net while trying to figure out why the IMAP NOTIFY command, used in FairEmail, doesn't work on the Draft folder in my tiscali mailboxes but does on the talktalk mailbox (which I posted about before). The change of server alias didn't make a difference, but I never changed it back.

That does mean FairEmail was using different server aliases - imap.talktalk.net and imap.Ukgateway net - from Thunderbird on two of the three affected mailboxes. BUT it was using the same imap.tiscali.co.uk alias as Thunderbird for the other tiscali mailbox, and that was the same as the other two - only a brief outage late last night on FairEmail, while Thunderbird was out on all three from last night until within the last hour. So, at least for me, it CAN'T be the server.

Hm. FairEmail and Thunderbird are both using IMAP PUSH, but only FairEmail is also IMAP NOTIFY, at least as fara s I know ... I don't think Thunderbird uses NOTIFY. But I can't see that could cause this difference.

Hum. Going to bed I put my laptop to sleep, and that does pause Thunderbird. But while I also put the phone to sleep, some apps do keep running, including FairEmail. And FAirEmail is using both PUSH and NOTIFY, which keeps a connection open with the mail server. So (thinking this out as I type) if the problem cleared for a little in the wee small hours, FairEmail in the sleeping phone might have reconnected, and then remained connected as PUSH and NOTIFY keep the connection open so it wouldn't need to look up the server addresses again. Which might be it if the original server fault did drop all connections so FairEmail suffered the original disconnection along with Thunderbird, it started working again so FairEmail re-connected, and then there was a second, different problem in the wee small hours just with the DNS lookups, so FairEamil remained connected from the PUSH, NOTIFY and NO-OPs and didn't need to do a DNS lookup, but Thunderbird on being woken up this morning needed a successful DNS lookup to reconnect.

Maybe. FairEmail does actually do DNS lookups for each mailbox every few minutes, but perhaps they are redundant and it doesn't matter if they fail so long as the PUSH/NOTIFY connections stay up. Not sure about that, so maybe.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 4 of 5

Hi DavidB-E 

Let us know the exact incoming and outgoing server / host name settings / ports / security employed on each email client/app and that will help to identify the issues.

Fair to say that some users are reporting the recommended TalkTalk Mail settings are working but others cannot get those to work!

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

0 Likes